What are your favorite/must tweaks?

My tweaks are based solely on performance:
- enable maximum cores/unpark parked cores
- set no paging file for 8GB RAM and up; 1.5x size for 4GB and under

On cores: I've never seen an instance where I need to explicitly enable cores in Windows 7 or Windows 8. Which tweaks are these and are you sure there is a difference? I've tried the msconfig -> Advanced Boot Options CPU setting and never noticed a difference.

On pagefile: I've done a bit of testing with this as I have 16GB RAM in my laptop. I haven't noticed a performance increase with disabling the page file. In fact, I have seen this cause problems because the RAM will max out and not have a place to expand to.

Totally forgot I still had my page file set on my SSD... oopsie poopise.

Typically if you have 16 gigs of RAM, even 8, you can safely disable that UNLESS you do a lot of RAM intensive stuff like VMing and Photoshopping. Games don't usually take that much RAM, unless of course, you're running three operating systems in tandem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Coke, that's quite a list. I am impressed. But I am an 'Out of the box' guy. If it's no good out of the box, I don't use it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The first thing I did was format my new laptop after setting it up. :D
Then I found a way to set it up without an MS or local account and no password.
After I had it set up I install classic shell.
Then I removed any software that I had to register for or that I did not need.
I set up two new folder tool bars, one for tools, one for games.

Some of that may not be considered tweaking, but, I made it my PC, not Microsoft's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    acer
    Browser
    FF
    Antivirus
    windows defender
Coke, that's quite a list. I am impressed. But I am an 'Out of the box' guy. If it's no good out of the box, I don't use it.
Yet you use Linux! ;)

Out of the box is generally OK by me, but it's the crapware OEMs like to install I'm not OK with. Most of my tweaks are more for my liking, what makes more sense, and what I've noticed people tend to use Windows. Like you said on a different thread, I'm picky. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

On cores: I've never seen an instance where I need to explicitly enable cores in Windows 7 or Windows 8. Which tweaks are these and are you sure there is a difference? I've tried the msconfig -> Advanced Boot Options CPU setting and never noticed a difference.

On pagefile: I've done a bit of testing with this as I have 16GB RAM in my laptop. I haven't noticed a performance increase with disabling the page file. In fact, I have seen this cause problems because the RAM will max out and not have a place to expand to.

Typically if you have 16 gigs of RAM, even 8, you can safely disable that UNLESS you do a lot of RAM intensive stuff like VMing and Photoshopping. Games don't usually take that much RAM, unless of course, you're running three operating systems in tandem.

You will not get a crash dump if you disable page file. This describes well how to set page file for best performance.

Blogs - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Some feel having no paging file results in better performance, but in general, having a paging file means Windows can write pages on the modified list (which represent pages that aren’t being accessed actively but have not been saved to disk) out to the paging file, thus making that memory available for more useful purposes (processes or file cache). So while there may be some workloads that perform better with no paging file, in general having one will mean more usable memory being available to the system (never mind that Windows won’t be able to write kernel crash dumps without a paging file sized large enough to hold them).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Yeah, the whole page file thing has been discussed for a decade.
It is proven that it is best to leave MS recommended settings for page file.
XP is min 1.5 x Ram and max 3 x Ram
Vista, 7 and 8, let the system handle it.
Live by this rule and you will have less issues.

The image they push at work uses a minimal page file.
I change this all the time and the system runs better over all.
Every time they tell me how much better their system runs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Agreed. Only time I change is when making custom refresh point as for some peculiar reason recimg.exe thinks pagefile and hyberfil would be useful things to backup....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender

On cores, when doing clean install on new MB processor etc. Win7 and 8 set right number of cores and memory but when I changed processor only from 2 to 4 cores, both, W7 and 8 left them at 2.
On PF, didn't notice performance increase either, it's more like disk space saving thing. Have 8GB, killed PF and Hibernation because of space and because my computer is on 24/7 and not one program complained about lack of them. Boot drive is an 120 GB SSD, so space is at premium.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Windows Update on manual
This PC, Control Panel and God Mode on desktop
Drivers for everything
Set monitors to proper resolution
Kill PF and hibernation
Unpin all un-needed APPs
Replace all default APPs with desktop versions and if needed set them as default programs for associated types.
Set custom theme and fonts sizes.
Install all needed programs and then sort their shortcuts in Metro clearly marking their groups according to their use and also grouping their icons in folders on the desktop according to same criteria, (names like Tools, Multimedia, Testing, Comms, Games etc.)
Set Downloads, backup and default places for MM, pictures etc. to HDD other than boot drive.
Then while making full system drive backup with Macrium go and return to nature all the coffees and beer used while doing all that mentioned before.
Go to sleep exhausted, because by that time sun is coming up, my eyes are blurry , fingers numb and Carpal syndrome is setting in the wrist from the mouse.
Next day: Put Restart and Shutdown icons on desktop.
Check for Windows updates and implement them watching that it does not change drivers and settings.
And much more stuff after all of which I don't even look at computer for couple of days if I don't have to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Yet you use Linux
Yeah right, but only distros that are easy to set up like Mint or Zorin. Red hat stuff like Fedora is not what I would use. I tried that but you need a 2 year class to get it to work. Out of the box you cannot even play a piece of music.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

You will not get a crash dump if you disable page file. This describes well how to set page file for best performance.

Blogs - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Some feel having no paging file results in better performance, but in general, having a paging file means Windows can write pages on the modified list (which represent pages that aren’t being accessed actively but have not been saved to disk) out to the paging file, thus making that memory available for more useful purposes (processes or file cache). So while there may be some workloads that perform better with no paging file, in general having one will mean more usable memory being available to the system (never mind that Windows won’t be able to write kernel crash dumps without a paging file sized large enough to hold them).

Also, if you have a SSD and 16 gigs of RAM, you'll be recovering a whole install size worth of Windows by disabling it or reducing it down. It's that tradeoff, crash dumps able to be saved, or more space.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Also, if you have a SSD and 16 gigs of RAM, you'll be recovering a whole install size worth of Windows by disabling it or reducing it down. It's that tradeoff, crash dumps able to be saved, or more space.

Well I run AutoCAD, Premiere Pro CC, After Effects, Cubase, and a slew of other apps that use 16GB RAM so I can't exactly do without the page file. I have a 256GB SSD and only have about 60GB used with it on and all of Creative Cloud, Office, Cubase, and a ton of other apps installed. So space is OK. I have a 750GB HDD for storage. And another SSD installed in this laptop if I need it and don't need the Windows 7 partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 / Windows 7 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Precision M6500
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-740QM
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 PRO SSD (Windows 8.1)
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (Windows 7)
    WD Black HDD (Storage)
    Browser
    Google Chrome

Well I run AutoCAD, Premiere Pro CC, After Effects, Cubase, and a slew of other apps that use 16GB RAM so I can't exactly do without the page file. I have a 256GB SSD and only have about 60GB used with it on and all of Creative Cloud, Office, Cubase, and a ton of other apps installed. So space is OK. I have a 750GB HDD for storage. And another SSD installed in this laptop if I need it and don't need the Windows 7 partition.

One would think that your SSD is the only performance tweak you would need. When people ask me how to tweak a modern machine, I tell them to get an SSD. Mostly everything's faster. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-4790
    Motherboard
    GA-Z87X-D3H
    Memory
    G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI Radeon R7 250
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung UN32EH5000, Dell 1703FPT
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    WD5003AZEX
    WD10EZEX
    Samsung HD103SJ
    Samsung 128 GB 840 PRO
    PSU
    SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900ALED
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech M705
    Internet Speed
    16 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
    Other Info
    Bose Companion 2 Multimedia Speakers

One would think that your SSD is the only performance tweak you would need. When people ask me how to tweak a modern machine, I tell them to get an SSD. Mostly everything's faster. ;)

Yeah, I remember doubling the 8MB RAM in my 486DX/2 66MHz machine back in the early 90's to speed it up. Doesn't quite work like that anymore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Precision M6500
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-740QM
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    WD Black HDD (Storage)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Adding 16KB on a Timex Sinclair's 2 KB worked like a charm.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

I typically service two or three installs of Windows 8.1 in VMs at a time, some Photoshop work and audio editing among others. I've really yet to hit the max of 16 gigs. But it might be because when I run three OSs at once, that has my main attention versus fixing some music files or converting them. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
BTW- I am dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8 on separate SSDs. I end up using the Windows 7 bootloader because Windows 8's seems to partially boot Win8, then require a reboot to boot into 7. Not sure if there's a way around this. It's not as pretty but it gets the job done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Precision M6500
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-740QM
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    WD Black HDD (Storage)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
Disable UAC (Never Notify)<--- my fave. A must! I know better than Microsoft!

+ disable Internext Explorer
+ disable Media Player
+ disable One Drive Intergation/ remove OneDrive from the Navi Panel via registry edit

- if installing Clover( Tabbed Windows Explorer) is a Tweak, than yesh, the first thing I do is installing Clover!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 PRO x64 Update 1/ Ubuntu/ Virtual Box
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI
    CPU
    Intel Core I7- 4700MQ
    Memory
    DDRIII(L) 16gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    internal
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Cooling
    internal cooling
    Keyboard
    Steelseries
    Mouse
    Gaming mouse+ Leap Motion for test purposes
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Qihoo 360 Browser
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender Total Security 2014/Malwarebytes/Peerblock/

+ disable Media Player
+ disable One Drive Intergation/ remove OneDrive from the Navi Panel via registry edit

- if installing Clover( Tabbed Windows Explorer) is a Tweak, than yesh, the first thing I do is installing Clover!

I'd love to be able to disable IE but I use it more than often to troubleshoot things. I do hide all traces of it though. Sometimes if I need to log into a different Google or Dropbox account and don't want to fiddle with the settings in Chrome, I'll use that.

Clover looks cool! Never came across it but I think it is sometime I would install but never really take advantage of simply because :winkey: + E is just too quick and easy.

If you guys haven't heard of it, I would definitely check out True Launch Bar mentioned in my original post. It's a Quick Launch Bar on steroids. AMAZING customization options. Unfortunately it isn't free, but I purchased wayyy back during XP/Vista days and the key is lifetime updates. I have folders on my taskbar for :winkey:+Z shortcut to open up an icon list of my favorite apps, :winkey:+A for Adobe Creative Cloud Apps (there's a lot, and I use them frequently). Complete control over visual settings. You can even set it to change depending on what apps are open. There's plugins, skins, etc. I save a backup of the settings so that after a clean install I can easily restore and all of my fave apps lists are there. Also helps me remember what I haven't re-installed yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Precision M6500
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-740QM
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    WD Black HDD (Storage)
    Browser
    Google Chrome

+ disable Media Player

I'd love to be able to disable IE but I use it more than often to troubleshoot things. I do hide all traces of it though. Sometimes if I need to log into a different Google or Dropbox account and don't want to fiddle with the settings in Chrome, I'll use that.

Clover looks cool! Never came across it but I think it is sometime I would install but never really take advantage of simply because :winkey: + E is just too quick and easy.

If you guys haven't heard of it, I would definitely check out True Launch Bar mentioned in my original post. It's a Quick Launch Bar on steroids. AMAZING customization options. Unfortunately it isn't free, but I purchased wayyy back during XP/Vista days and the key is lifetime updates. I have folders on my taskbar for :winkey:+Z shortcut to open up an icon list of my favorite apps, :winkey:+A for Adobe Creative Cloud Apps (there's a lot, and I use them frequently). Complete control over visual settings. You can even set it to change depending on what apps are open. There's plugins, skins, etc. I save a backup of the settings so that after a clean install I can easily restore and all of my fave apps lists are there. Also helps me remember what I haven't re-installed yet.

Sure, :winkey:+E is quick and easy, however, that's not the purpose of Clover. Clover doesn't replace your usual Windows Explorer. What it does is tabbing your explorer. Instead of having a million windows open, you can have one window with tabs. You still can multi-open Windows explorer( new windows). It's just that when you're in need of having a thousand windows open it's easier to have them tabbed! XD

True Launchbar- looks ok, a bit old however. ( Yea, I'm that guy)
I'm using Metrosidebar( still in Beta). I'm in contact with the developer and I love the app. Once it's published it will give its users much more options( Win Taskbar replacement included). I'm not a fan of the Windows Taskbar. Microsoft evidently opened a new chapter and I doubt they'll back off. Modern U.I will be there- forever. I don't see any reason, why I shouldn't replace my Windows Taskbar Neanderthalensis and use a dock of my choice instead. >.>

"I'd love to be able to disable IE but I use it more than often to troubleshoot things. " - by that you mean you're raping your system and its files on a daily base?*laughs* I... I... feel so sorry for your system! Somebody should sue you for giving your OS a hard time!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 PRO x64 Update 1/ Ubuntu/ Virtual Box
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI
    CPU
    Intel Core I7- 4700MQ
    Memory
    DDRIII(L) 16gb