Solved What are the effects of bad sectors on installations

Did a file search, the only hit it got was in the eventsys file.

Also can't find a subkey. Would that also be under WPro?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Okay, I figured out the problem with the Realtek Install. I had to reboot a lot quicker so that it would install properly. That's the problem with all these dang Japanese messages on and English system. Still have no clue where the Smart connect thing. Any other things to do before I try to update again?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Your Malwarebytes log shows "no action taken" for all the things it found. So, you should scan again (full is recommended) and then you have to specify to the program to remove the things it finds.

In addition, you will have to remove things manually from your browsers. Here is a good guide to follow about that: https://pcsmarties.wordpress.com/methods-to-remove-conduit/

You asked about updating....what do you want to update?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
I was referring to the Window updates. Everything is in now, except for two. One is KB2770917. I get this error (not BSOD), WindowsUpdate_80070570 WindowsUpdate_dt000"‎ (0) The other one is KB2795944. I get the error WindowsUpdate_80070017 OR WindowsUpdate_dt000. By the way, do hard shutdowns no longer cause disk errors? It used to be kinda bad news to do it (although I've done my share of it over the last month). Also, during the reversal of the updates Windows did (which took about two hours), it also said not to shut the computer down.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Delete all files and folders inside C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, reboot and try again.

Nah. Hard drive manufacturers more then realize that hard shutdowns are common operations of computers. I have never been afraid to use them when testing new things or trying to recreate others' issues, and have used them quite often. Knock on wood, I've yet to ever have a drive fail on me in my life, besides when a power out in the neighborhood killed a video card, monitor and drive of mine.

In my opinion and experience, it's nothing to be concerned about at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Ran Windows Update troubleshooter, it fixed a couple problems and everything went in smoothly. Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
One last post here since it's related.

I continued to have situations where things would get better and then crash. I fully reformatted the disk a couple of times. Ran a virus check (nothing). Ran Malware bytes a few times, sometimes it found things and other times it didn't. In the end, the last two times I ran Malware bytes, I got BSODS. I didn't know which hard drive I had (I thought ASRock was a hard drive not a motherboard :eek:), and so I tried the Seagate test but it wouldn't run.

Anyway, I eventually bought a new hard disk, and found out the old disk (actually one year old) was a Western Digital. I then ran the diagnostic tool from WD, and it failed both the Smart test and the long test.

I installed everything on the new drive and have had no problems since then. The question?

Using the WD diagnostic tool, I completely zeroed out (long way, not short) the old hard drive and then, just for the heck of it formatted it. Again for the heck of it, I ran the diagnostic tool, and it now passes both the SMART test and the long test.

So my question is, is it possible that I got a false read on the state of my disk? Do I dare keep it as a backup disk to my new one?

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that like I said, despite multiple formats etc, I kept getting crashes using that disk sooner or later. But as soon as I changed the disk, all crashes ceased.

Comments?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
One last post here since it's related.

I continued to have situations where things would get better and then crash. I fully reformatted the disk a couple of times. Ran a virus check (nothing). Ran Malware bytes a few times, sometimes it found things and other times it didn't. In the end, the last two times I ran Malware bytes, I got BSODS. I didn't know which hard drive I had (I thought ASRock was a hard drive not a motherboard :eek:), and so I tried the Seagate test but it wouldn't run.

Anyway, I eventually bought a new hard disk, and found out the old disk (actually one year old) was a Western Digital. I then ran the diagnostic tool from WD, and it failed both the Smart test and the long test.

I installed everything on the new drive and have had no problems since then. The question?

Using the WD diagnostic tool, I completely zeroed out (long way, not short) the old hard drive and then, just for the heck of it formatted it. Again for the heck of it, I ran the diagnostic tool, and it now passes both the SMART test and the long test.

So my question is, is it possible that I got a false read on the state of my disk? Do I dare keep it as a backup disk to my new one?

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that like I said, despite multiple formats etc, I kept getting crashes using that disk sooner or later. But as soon as I changed the disk, all crashes ceased.

Comments?

Bad data cable / loose connections can and do make problems like that. If it's clear of bad sectors now, it should be fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro