Vista OEM Upgrade?

Hello Brink,

I think that you can only get a retail upgrade copy of W8, and that is what you have if you order the upgrade DVD(s) or request a download.

I don't think there is a OEM version. Your link refers to a full pre-installed version of Windows 8 not an upgrade as such. Agree?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Yes, the retail EULA is for the upgrade copy since the upgrade is a retail copy. Thus the part below in it. This doesn't include the system builder copy. The system builder copy has it's own EULA.
What about upgrading the software?
The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way. This agreement governs your rights to use the upgrade software and replaces the agreement for the software from which you upgraded. After you complete your upgrade, additional software will be required to playback or record certain types of media, including DVDs.

OEM comes into play with the $14.99 special since that is for when you recently purchase a computer that has Windows 7 preinstalled on it. That would be an OEM copy of Windows 7. Since upgrading from an OEM copy, you would fall under the OEM EULA.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
If I follow the $14.99 special link it says:
[h=6]Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?[/h] The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased from June 2nd, 2012 through January 31, 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.

I would have thought that this means that you can transfer it though I don't know how you formally redeem the offer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
If I follow the $14.99 special link it says:
Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?

The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased from June 2nd, 2012 through January 31, 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.

I would have thought that this means that you can transfer it though I don't know how you formally redeem the offer.

This is where I'm confused. The terms are complicated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN7

It means that if you have a qualifying OS for the offer you can purchase it at a discount, and you then have a choice.

You can then install this upgrade to any PC you own ( with a windows OS) and the upgrade will then be linked to that original OS.

Basically having just bought a Windows 7 PC you can have an even cheaper upgrade to windows 8. This upgrade is not linked to the qualifying purchase (Windows 7 PC) and will be linked to an OS when installed as per a normally purchased upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS

It means that if you have a qualifying OS for the offer you can purchase it at a discount, and you then have a choice.

You can then install this upgrade to any PC you own ( with a windows OS) and the upgrade will then be linked to that original OS.

Basically having just bought a Windows 7 PC you can have an even cheaper upgrade to windows 8. This upgrade is not linked to the qualifying purchase (Windows 7 PC) and will be linked to an OS when installed as per a normally purchased upgrade.

Brink mentioned that
In addition, since this the $14.99 special, we are dealing with an OEM copy of Windows 7 and not a retail copy. I would imagine that the Windows 8 will be permanently tied to the client's computer now since it has been activated on it.

My point is to find out whether online $14.99 version is the retail version and transferable to third party. I'm not sure whether Brink is the person from MS but if he's collect, the $14.99 version is binded to the Key/OS during the reg phrase and considered as OEM, it's then cannot be transferred or resale.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN7
In addition, since this the $14.99 special, we are dealing with an OEM copy of Windows 7 and not a retail copy. I would imagine that the Windows 8 will be permanently tied to the client's computer now since it has been activated on it.

Hi Brink, not sure whether you from MS or not, are you sure the $14.99 version is considered as a OEM? When I check online, the T&C said the owner can installed it on other pcs, then it seems it may be the retail version?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN7
Hello idog,

No, I'm not from MS.

It's just that since the $14.99 special is for a recently purchased OEM Windows 7 PC to upgrade to Windows 8, I'm just assuming that the OEM EULA would apply here even though the upgrade to Windows 8 is still technically the same as the others. After all, you are upgrading from an OEM.

That's just my interpretation. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Hello idog,

No, I'm not from MS.

It's just that since the $14.99 special is for a recently purchased OEM Windows 7 PC to upgrade to Windows 8, I'm just assuming that the OEM EULA would apply here even though the upgrade to Windows 8 is still technically the same as the others. After all, you are upgrading from an OEM.

That's just my interpretation. :)

Thanks, it seems the $14.99 version is the retail version.
Reason 1: it has 90 days support from MS which OEM shouldn't have.
[h=6]Will I receive support when I upgrade?
Yes. Windows 8 comes with 90 days of no-charge support from Microsoft. The 90-day period begins when Windows 8 installation and activation is complete. Note: telecom or other access fees may apply.[/h]Reason 2: Upgrade SoftwareEach upgrade license will apply to only one PC and may only be installed on PCs with a valid base license to a qualifying operating system (i.e., Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7).
While the offer will be limited to eligible customers who purchase a qualified PC, the upgrade may be installed on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying operating system (see Windows 8 System Requirements). Customers should visit their PC manufacturer’s website for more information on how to upgrade their PC to Windows 8, including updated software and drivers.

If it's OEM, it shouldn't be able to installed on any compatible PC.

Source: Windows Upgrade Offer - Program Information

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN7
Back