Video_tdr_failure, cannot boot, only external display

Nope, no change! The mystery continues - I had a look on Google and read that Windows 8 doesn't support the Wireless card so I thought we were getting somewhere but obviously not! Shall I post the latest dump?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Unfortunately, new crash dumps aren't going to help as we've already taken care of all driver problems that would affect this.

Since this machine is not brand new and has some age to it, it is more than possible that there is a dust build up affecting the temperatures negatively. Heat is a common cause of 0x116 errors too. You might try opening up the unit to see if it needs cleaning, or at the very least, blow some compressed air into the vents.

Other resources to look at are here:

STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting - Windows 7 Help Forums

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

In the worst case scenario, a clean vanilla installation of Windows should be done, in hopes of fixing it and that it is not a hardware issue. Unfortunately, hardware issues such as faulty capacitors (to give an example) can cause 0x116 stops too.

Perhaps even try without the battery attached. If it was faulty for some reason, it could possibly affect the power to the unit, even when plugged in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Thanks again for all the tips. I did a fresh install of Windows, it starts 'normally' - but with vertical patterned puple lines across BIOS and flickering purple screens here and then. As I log in it does not seem that there is a video driver is installed as everything lags... when i start typing for Device Manager, the screen flickers, I hear a hardware disconnect sound and the external screen loses the signal from the PC. Now I get the BSoD on restart, same error as before. And still no sign of life from my laptop screen!

I will open up the laptop when I get a chance, as as you probably agree there's not much more I can do with software and drivers is there? It had a good 4 years life anyway!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Sure thing, you're welcome.

Another really nice thing to try if needed, is to detach the laptop internal screen cable from the machine and then try to boot and use the computer normally with just an external screen.

A bad internal screen can and will cause issues like you're having.

If you find that it actually is the screen itself causing issues, then you can get a replacement on E-Bay, sometimes for as little as 15-20 USD. Sometimes just a little more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon