Victim of an Illegal Activity Warning Message on startup

I renamed the file to oldscssifilter64.sys and the PC still boots into windows and no longer crashes. Now I'm attempting to remove the malware.

I don't think that this could be classified as malware, even though I would advise you to change your online banking passwords and all if you have been using banking services on this Laptop as the software installed :- PC Rental captures keystrokes depending on the level supplied from the back end.

But, it is good to see that you managed to stop the crashes. Please do keep posted on how it goes ^_^.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro B-)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Core I5 2430M @ 2.4GHz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz Dual Channel ^_^
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 B-)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 500 GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Common Sense!
I don't think that this could be classified as malware, even though I would advise you to change your online banking passwords and all if you have been using banking services on this Laptop as the software installed :- PC Rental captures keystrokes depending on the level supplied from the back end.

But, it is good to see that you managed to stop the crashes. Please do keep posted on how it goes ^_^.

Agree...Surely the terms of rental has something in there that the software be removed at termination of the agreement (it has nothing to do with warranty as the OP seems to think BTW)

How come there was not a single search result a while back and now there are like so many? :O

Did I make a mistake in searching?:shock:
That's certainly interesting though, but does this still occur if you reverse your time in BIOS settings and disconnect from the Internet?

Bios setting won't matter - not sure if Internet connection is required - the driver seems to be based on the original Smart card driver from M$ - probably updated to read the ROM ID and transmit it's geolocation - either way they have paid M$ for the cerificate thus all above aboard as far a I can see.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Obviously something went wrong with the theft protection of this rented computer.
The shop must have made a mistake, not updating their database that you paid it off.
Alternatively you are mistaken about the real status.

Trying to crack this is probably the most time consuming option, unless it's a very "dumb" theft protection.
If I was sure I had my ducks in a row (receipts and all) I would go speak with the shop in question OR:
Reformat the drive and re-install Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    ASUS
    Memory
    24 GB DDRAM3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT430 x2
    Sound Card
    Audial
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 28" Sharp
    Screen Resolution
    1360 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung, Seagate, Toshiba, Hitachi, Western Digital
    PSU
    750 watt
    Cooling
    liquid closed
How did it go?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
Bios setting won't matter - not sure if Internet connection is required - the driver seems to be based on the original Smart card driver from M$ - probably updated to read the ROM ID and transmit it's geolocation - either way they have paid M$ for the cerificate thus all above aboard as far a I can see.

Well reverting back to an older date in the BIOS makes many software think like it never happened unless they are using Vector Clocks for timing. Anyways that was just a suggestion :). It is a possibility that they have partnership with MS as well but I wonder if there is any way to workaround this as if the driver did not had buggy code, it probably would not had crashed and the OP might be able to get into the system. Not sure if it is the driver buggy or it is being purposefully made to work like this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro B-)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Core I5 2430M @ 2.4GHz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz Dual Channel ^_^
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 3000 B-)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 500 GB
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Common Sense!
My mother is currently having the same issue with her PC that my late father purchased for her before he died. It was bought from a Rent-to-own place and when my Dad died, the insurance on the purchase agreement paid off the computer. She owns it free and clear.

So, I have to ask, is this a virus, or is this Legit? I don't particularly like the company who sold the PC, so going there and demanding they fix an error caused by their theft protection software sounds like fun to me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
My mother is currently having the same issue with her PC that my late father purchased for her before he died. It was bought from a Rent-to-own place and when my Dad died, the insurance on the purchase agreement paid off the computer. She owns it free and clear.

So, I have to ask, is this a virus, or is this Legit? I don't particularly like the company who sold the PC, so going there and demanding they fix an error caused by their theft protection software sounds like fun to me.

I, for one, will be quite interested in what they have to say... still can't get my head around the protection thing...

Let's say a thief grabs it and reformats, why bother then?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
I explained to the lady at the store who I was, and what happened with computer, and she said "Oh, I know when your dad died." So, the conversation didn't get off to a good start, as I realized that this was the person who had the gall to ask my mother a day after my dad died for a death certificate and cause of death to make sure my dad didn't kill himself.

The lady at the store told me that it was because I had the computer hooked up via wi-fi that the security software didn't 'phone home' and it locked itself down.

She then proceeded to tell me that I wasn't doing my updates properly and that running windows updates properly and that doing updates over wi-fi can corrupt them and should only be done over a wired connection because Wi-Fi isn't a reliable network solution.

So, I stood there, as the lady was spewing excrement from her gab while computer enthusiast inside of my head is begging and screaming at the lady "Do you know what a MD5 checksum is?!!" and I neglected to tell her I have an AC 5ghz router.

She told me to take the computer home, wire the router up (which requires me to have my computer sitting on the living room floor in front of the TV instead of in my mothers office where she does her Geneology work for her church), and wait 72 hours for the security software to be deactivated and not to turn it off or disconnect it from the router.

So, me, being the polite canadian smiled, nodded and then muttered bull---- as I'm leaving the building. I then did exactly what she said and loaned my mom one of my spare computers so She can do her work.

Needless to say, come tuesday, if this isn't fixed I'm phoning EasyHome's head office and lodging a complaint.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back