Solved Very strange problem - Windows 8 error has broken my dual boot laptop

Thankyou, Mike. Now let's hope that he reads the post and gets the message, and doesn't think that we're just trying to get him to spend his money unwisely, because if he doesn't buy them, then he could run into serious problems ahead. That's why I initially told him not to destroy his hidden partition.

Incidentally, my name isn't Bart. It's my pen name. In Norwegian, "bart" means mustache, so "black bart", of course, means "black mustache". That's not the reason I'm using the name, though. Being from California, my favorite bandit of the Wild West days, is one who robbed almost every Wells Fargo Stagecoach that dared to travel through California during the 1870s and 1880s. It's the funniest Wild West Outlaw story that I know.

The stagecoach drivers and his passengers couldn't see his big black mustache, because he always wore a flour sack over his head with eyeholes for him to see through, but when he was caught, it was in the description. In all of his robberies, he was dubbed as "the gentleman bandit", because he would always ask, "Now driver, would you kindly give me the money box?" and to the passengers, "Hello Ma'am! How are you today? ... Yes, I understand that you're scared and upset, but this will be over with in just a few moments... Now if you would you kindly take out your purse and give me all of your money, I'll be on my way. ... Thankyou very much! Goodbye now! I hope you have a pleasent trip!". In one of the reports that I read, he was considered such a gentleman, that many women were riding the Wells Fargo Stage, just hoping to be robbed by him.

Some things that have always made me laugh about him was that when he robbed the stages, he was always alone and on foot. He was scared to death of horses! Why did they comply with his orders, then? Because he would shout into the bushes for his men to shoot at will if he begins to shoot and when the driver looked in the direction that he was shouting, he would see a half-dozen or so rifles aimed at him. One stagecoach driver doubled back, to pick up the empty strongbox, only to find that Black Bart had disappeared--gone with the money--but the "rifles" were still there. They weren't rifles at all. They were broomsticks, painted black, and propped up on the rocks!

Another amusing thing was a robbery in which the driver was alone with no passengers, and Wells Fargo thought they would get smart and bolt the strongbox to the floor of the passenger cabin. The driver had had a passenger who got off at the base of the mountainside on the south end before the stage had to climb up the mountain, with the intent of doing some hunting on foot and then meeting the stage on it's way back down on the west end, but it didn't arrive. When he found the driver, still on the south end of the mountain, near where he got off the stage, he found the driver holding onto the team of horses, but with no stage. Black Bart had made him unhitch the stage! When the two of them, armed with their shotguns, went looking for him, they found him still trying to get into that box. They shot at him from a distance, but it was obvious that his hand was hit, because there was blood on everything he touched as he took the money and ran. He still got away!

On one of his last robberies (which may have been his last, because the subsequent robberies were presumed to be copycats of him), he was startled by the U.S. Marshall, who asked the stagecoach driver to let him off early, just before the point he thought that Black Bart might use to rob the stage. (It was at a hairpin turn where you cannot see ahead until after you make the turn, thus creating a blindspot for Black Bart to hide in.) Sure enough, Black Bart was there and during his robbery, when he saw the marshall coming at him, he fled, but he left behind his handkerchief. In those days, they didn't have DNA testing, but they could still trace him. He had left the laundry's tag on it, so they were able to trace him down. The Wells Fargo investigator, James B. Hume, according to the report given in Wikipedia, went to nearly 90 laundries before he finally found the one that recognized the laundry mark, FXO7, and who could trace it back to him.

The story found at Wikipedia, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bart_(outlaw) is a good one, and it goes along with most of the other stories that I can find on the web, but years and years ago, when I first read about Black Bart it was in a magazine that I bought about the Wild West outlaws. It had a twist to the story, that I found so funny, I almost fell off my chair laughing. That version of the story was that they were wondering how Black Bart always knew the stagecoach route, even when they changed it at the last minute, so he would be waiting at the original route without the stage ever showing up--and yet he was always there. In that version of the story, they found out why he always knew. He was always involved in the planning of the new route. It turned out that he was the loan officer of the Wells Fargo Bank, who was in charge of the vault, so he always knew when the money would be coming, and what route they would be taking!

~ Barry

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP Pro
    CPU
    AMD 3600+
    Motherboard
    ASUS A8V Deluxe
    Memory
    3 GB DDR
Love it! Not sure about Dry Cleaners on 1880's?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN7 Home Premium 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel I7 920
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T-Se
    Memory
    6Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD5770
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VW246H, Samsing Syncmaster 2233, Samsung Syncmaster T200HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500Gb
    PSU
    Coolermaster Silent Pro M700
    Case
    NOX
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
    Other Info
    Dell Inspiron 1501 with Win 8 CP 32 Bit - flying along!
Love it! Not sure about Dry Cleaners on 1880's?

Ha ha! Caught me!

He had a time machine -- and so did the investigator!

LAUNDRY. That was the word I meant. I guess I wasn't thinking when I wrote "dry cleaners". I was thinking of today's terms. I edited it with the word, "laundry" and added something that I forgot to add in the last writing. The Wells Fargo investigator, according to the report given on Wikipedia, went to 90 laundries before he found the one that recognized the mark FX07 and could trace it to him. Now that's funny. Can you imagine that investigator going to 90? Most would give up well before that many! He must have REALLY wanted his man!

Thanks for catching that error!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP Pro
    CPU
    AMD 3600+
    Motherboard
    ASUS A8V Deluxe
    Memory
    3 GB DDR
No problem - and I reckon the Wells Fargo man would have done what his bosses said - and what else would he be doing???

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN7 Home Premium 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel I7 920
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T-Se
    Memory
    6Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD5770
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VW246H, Samsing Syncmaster 2233, Samsung Syncmaster T200HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500Gb
    PSU
    Coolermaster Silent Pro M700
    Case
    NOX
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
    Other Info
    Dell Inspiron 1501 with Win 8 CP 32 Bit - flying along!
Thankyou, Mike. Now let's hope that he reads the post and gets the message, and doesn't think that we're just trying to get him to spend his money unwisely, because if he doesn't buy them, then he could run into serious problems ahead. That's why I initially told him not to destroy his hidden partition.

Incidentally, my name isn't Bart. It's my pen name. In Norwegian, "bart" means mustache, so "black bart", of course, means "black mustache". That's not the reason I'm using the name, though. Being from California, my favorite bandit of the Wild West days, is one who robbed almost every Wells Fargo Stagecoach that dared to travel through California during the 1870s and 1880s. It's the funniest Wild West Outlaw story that I know.

The stagecoach drivers and his passengers couldn't see his big black mustache, because he always wore a flour sack over his head with eyeholes for him to see through, but when he was caught, it was in the description. In all of his robberies, he was dubbed as "the gentleman bandit", because he would always ask, "Now driver, would you kindly give me the money box?" and to the passengers, "Hello Ma'am! How are you today? ... Yes, I understand that you're scared and upset, but this will be over with in just a few moments... Now if you would you kindly take out your purse and give me all of your money, I'll be on my way. ... Thankyou very much! Goodbye now! I hope you have a pleasent trip!". In one of the reports that I read, he was considered such a gentleman, that many women were riding the Wells Fargo Stage, just hoping to be robbed by him.

Some things that have always made me laugh about him was that when he robbed the stages, he was always alone and on foot. He was scared to death of horses! Why did they comply with his orders, then? Because he would shout into the bushes for his men to shoot at will if he begins to shoot and when the driver looked in the direction that he was shouting, he would see a half-dozen or so rifles aimed at him. One stagecoach driver doubled back, to pick up the empty strongbox, only to find that Black Bart had disappeared--gone with the money--but the "rifles" were still there. They weren't rifles at all. They were broomsticks, painted black, and propped up on the rocks!

Another amusing thing was a robbery in which the driver was alone with no passengers, and Wells Fargo thought they would get smart and bolt the strongbox to the floor of the passenger cabin. The driver had had a passenger who got off at the base of the mountainside on the south end before the stage had to climb up the mountain, with the intent of doing some hunting on foot and then meeting the stage on it's way back down on the west end, but it didn't arrive. When he found the driver, still on the south end of the mountain, near where he got off the stage, he found the driver holding onto the team of horses, but with no stage. Black Bart had made him unhitch the stage! When the two of them, armed with their shotguns, went looking for him, they found him still trying to get into that box. They shot at him from a distance, but it was obvious that his hand was hit, because there was blood on everything he touched as he took the money and ran. He still got away!

On one of his last robberies (which may have been his last, because the subsequent robberies were presumed to be copycats of him), he was startled by the U.S. Marshall, who asked the stagecoach driver to let him off early, just before the point he thought that Black Bart might use to rob the stage. (It was at a hairpin turn where you cannot see ahead until after you make the turn, thus creating a blindspot for Black Bart to hide in.) Sure enough, Black Bart was there and during his robbery, when he saw the marshall coming at him, he fled, but he left behind his handkerchief. In those days, they didn't have DNA testing, but they could still trace him. He had left the laundry's tag on it, so they were able to trace him down. The Wells Fargo investigator, James B. Hume, according to the report given in Wikipedia, went to nearly 90 laundries before he finally found the one that recognized the laundry mark, FXO7, and who could trace it back to him.

The story found at Wikipedia, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bart_(outlaw) is a good one, and it goes along with most of the other stories that I can find on the web, but years and years ago, when I first read about Black Bart it was in a magazine that I bought about the Wild West outlaws. It had a twist to the story, that I found so funny, I almost fell off my chair laughing. That version of the story was that they were wondering how Black Bart always knew the stagecoach route, even when they changed it at the last minute, so he would be waiting at the original route without the stage ever showing up--and yet he was always there. In that version of the story, they found out why he always knew. He was always involved in the planning of the new route. It turned out that he was the loan officer of the Wells Fargo Bank, who was in charge of the vault, so he always knew when the money would be coming, and what route they would be taking!

~ Barry

You're right with the name choice. BlackBart works better than a BlackBerry...errr Barry. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Back