Users to the Rescue: Microsoft Listening to Consumer FB..

I have said this before but will say it again

That's ok. I've been repeating the same thing for 2 years. It's tiring.

... But the Desktop is essential.

Yes. Of course.

Problem is, one cannot get into a discussion about code trends as it is too complicated for the vast majority.

Windows NT must be replaced with a better, more secure, less error prone, less vulnerable kernel.
And single screen coding will be eliminated at some point.
Of course any change must be better than what exists today.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Bringing back the start menu is a smart move, as is enhancing the functionality of the start screen. I just hope they do not nix the best way I have found to use Windows 8 so far, which is a combo of both via 3rd party apps. More choices please, not less! More choice!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
I have said this before but will say it again

That's ok. I've been repeating the same thing for 2 years. It's tiring.

... But the Desktop is essential.

Yes. Of course.

Problem is, one cannot get into a discussion about code trends as it is too complicated for the vast majority.

Windows NT must be replaced with a better, more secure, less error prone, less vulnerable kernel.
And single screen coding will be eliminated at some point.
Of course any change must be better than what exists today.

That will never happen. MS is all about backward compatibility and there is no way in hell they will make a cut like Apple does. Unfortunately.

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
The article has a comment box.

I used it to give my opinion about the situation.

By commenting, & other people commenting, maybe improvements will be made if Microsoft listens.
Hopefully somebody at Microsoft will be reading my & others' comments.

I won't hold my breath waiting though.

At least I gave it a try. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Something that I had forgot about completely.

Keep in mind that the App Store Concept started with Windows Vista Ultimate (Ultimate Extras)
The App Store is basically what Ultimate Extras was supposed to have turned into.
The idea was abandoned in Win7, probably in preparation for Win8.

Metro was not a well conceived/implemented idea in whole
But is in parts.

Again, the desktop should still be the focal point though.

Just wish they would have focused more on the apps being more of a store front (like Ultimate Extras)
Or some of the concept start menus I have seen out there based off the Metro design with Live tiles and such.

IMO, Metro is not bad,, People are lost on Metro cause they don't know how to take it in and use it efficiently.
And yes, it is possible to use it efficiently, cause it is actually more efficient than the old Start Menu.
It just needs to be condensed back down to a start menu style GUI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I don't post often but in this case I want to hollow just a shout at you guys. Most of you are experienced users. Win 8 is just another OS period end of story. Windows has always been hobbled by legacy programs we all know this is true. Backwards compatibility is the first requirement you ask for no you demand. Business needs legacy, innovate well hell no I know windows. Well you can't have it both ways somethings have to change like your attitudes towards change
No other OS carries this burden and change is not possible without giving up some of what you had and moving forward . We all learned to use Android phones, IPhones and hopefully some of you made the move to Windows Phone. There was no hue and cry in previous instances but take away the Start Menu and you wet yourselves complaining. The problem is not that Metro is different it's that you expect to know how the OS works the second you dl'ed it. How dare they make changes even if the underlying technology is far, far Superior,has a smaller footprint and is more secure it looks difference. Who cares if it's more stable more reliable and faster you don't approve because you now have to learn a new OS shame on them Eventually they are going to have to cut the cord tablets and phones are taking the place of towers for some. Some of these devices are throw away devices never meant to last more than contract period used for the purchase. Yet some of you who complain loudest want to run the full office suite on your phones plus Photoshop
The mistake is trying to please everyone they should've stuck to their guns modified the Metro use of the desktop and pushed forward. You should not be forced back to the desktop when running a Metro app. A Metro app should not have to be full screen by default. You should have been able to run multiple Metro apps and they should've implemented it that way from jump street.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7
Yesterday a friend of mind brought her tower over for me to repair, and said she was going to upgrade and change to a laptop. She also asked if I knew any way to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it? She added that if she can't she will just buy a Mac lappy to sync with her iPhone.

Regardless of who's right or wrong, or who prefers what ... bottom line is the market place has spoken and Win 8x is dead in the water!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Why do Windows 8 enthusiasts hate prior versions?

What I find interesting about avid Windows 8 enthusiasts is that they describe the desktop interface, with almost an utter disgust. I mean they act like Windows 7 and prior versions should be banished from the face of the earth. If they hated these prior versions so much, why did they even use them?

I think Windows 8 is clumsy to use unless you have a touch screen, hence the usefulness of the desktop interface.

I also believe Windows 8 biggest problem is still it's lack of useful apps. I saw the current MS offering for the Surface tablet (only $449 US, RT I presume), came with Office tools, and 200GB of cloud storage, BUT, I still thought to myself I want an iPad because it will have apps I can really use and with built in 3/4G I can use it almost anywhere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
What I find interesting about avid Windows 8 enthusiasts is that they describe the desktop interface, with almost an utter disgust. I mean they act like Windows 7 and prior versions should be banished from the face of the earth. If they hated these prior versions so much, why did they even use them?

I think Windows 8 is clumsy to use unless you have a touch screen, hence the usefulness of the desktop interface.

I also believe Windows 8 biggest problem is still it's lack of useful apps. I saw the current MS offering for the Surface tablet (only $449 US, RT I presume), came with Office tools, and 200GB of cloud storage, BUT, I still thought to myself I want an iPad because it will have apps I can really use and with built in 3/4G I can use it almost anywhere.

Maybe they hate prior versions because they want that flexibility and backwards compatibility. They want the desktop and MUI. They want to touch their 8 or 10 inch tablets that run FULL Windows if they wanted. They want to do more than one thing at a time. Maybe this is why they have no love for an os stuck in the 2010's with poor support for touch and want more usability.

They want this all for less than $500. Factor that in with what I like to do and you can see why I don't have any use for an ipad. I have mobile hotspot on my phone and I don't have to pay $10+/mo. for 3/4G data meaning I saved $120/yr.

I've posted this before so let me direct you straight to the Apple store. This is definitely not what you want or need.

By all means... go ahead and factor out a Windows 8x tablet.

E5Peebf.png

While you're at it, take a look at the post from a recent hardcore Android user that just got a 1520, coupled with this little excerpt from the recent Windows Phone 8.1 SDK leak, and you just have to wonder why anyone would want to have all apps from one ecosystem working across phone, tablet, and pc.

Upcoming Windows Universal Store Apps Detailed | WMPoweruser
Upcoming Windows Universal Store Apps Detailed

February 12, 2014 Pradeep 8 Comments
WIndows-Universal-Store-apps-620x344.png

Yesterday, we reported that Universal apps are coming with Windows Phone 8.1 that will allow developers to target the apps both for tablets and mobile devices. A leaked slide of Windows Phone blue details the Universal Store apps.
Developers will be able to create one Visual Studio ‘Shared Solution template for their apps. You can have two Visual Studio UI projects for your single code base, one for Windows Phone UI and another for Windows UI. You can have two different AppX packages to submit to Store targeting Windows Phone and Windows. Microsoft also claims that developers can have shared dev and test tooling for both the platforms.
I’m sure developers will be excited to hear this news! If you are a developer, share your thoughts with us in the comments section below. Find the slide about converged UI controls after the break.
via: RomanL

I can't believe they took out the old start menu! What am I going to do now on my tablet?:confused:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Poor Microsoft

They can never satisfy all the users all the time.
(NOBODY can)

In my humble opinion, the only mistake with Win 8 was that it tried to do 'all in 1'.

What I think should have worked better, was Win. 8 with Metro (Modern UI) for those with touchscreens and mobiles, AND "Win. 9" for those with desktop/office equipment only.

I personally like Win 8.1 modified with Classic Shell, and never use the modern UI. But my needs are different to most other people.

We shall see what the future holds.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit (updt)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung NP355E7C
    CPU
    AMD A6
    Browser
    PaleMoon
Don't get me wrong opinions are like attitudes every has one:cry: My problem is people will not take the time to look at what's in front of them let alone even try to see what's there. She can get a windows laptop running windows 8 and never ever use a Metro app. Add 2 seconds to show her the Charm to power on and off and you have a happy camper. But no, Win Users are like engineers to service techs we hate to see them coming they know it all then freeze at the first issue they're not ready to address. Enough said about the people who just regurgitate what they read or here on the net. The truth is out there just don't expect it to find you on the internet. You have to do your home work and users don't like work period when they can repeat what someone told them.

As for those who think the Metro interface is dead not so much, dream on it is too deeply embedded into the OS. You're going to get boot to Desktop on non touch systems and some form of of a Start Menu but that's about all. Win 8 upgrades and Win 9 are going to be Touch Centric a chicken can't walk on one leg and MS is not going hobble the OS further with foolish suggestions to go back to the Desktop Interface
What's funny is this is most impressive improvement in the OS since XP and people are too busy hating on Metro apps to recognize it. MS could have mitigated a lot of this with simply allowing Metro apps to be sized on desktop units, who wants a 32 inch Twitter app. That was dumb and rather they address it properly or not it's still just stupid. Hey what do you expect we're talking MS it always takes them 3 times to get it right peace bro just and opinion

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7

Well the part about 200 GB of free storage is false. I have the Lumia 2520 and LTE on ATT the last I checked it was faster than 3/4G I purchased mine at the Microsoft Store without a contract. But to be fair I have issue with the lack of a couple of apps, the micro html connection and the usb 3 dongle required. The Bing apps are simply outstanding but there's no GPS navigation App even though there's GPS sensor built into the device. Nokia has Here Drive + but it was not ported to the 2520. Here Maps is and it's a beautiful app but it's not a GPS Navigation app period for RT. There is also no meaning zero Battery application apps available period it's just plain insulting why? I was always told you work to accentuate your strength and minimize your weaknesses. Either they're just stupid or they didn't have time neither is acceptable BTW there's a price difference depending on the storage I added 64 GB for 46 bucks I believe I can hang with you on storage, speed and general applications and raise you a few just my opinion bro peace

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7
Are people still crying over useless start menu?

Nope people are just not buying Windows 8.x without it.

Never a truer word was spoken and now we are apparently having to wait until Windows 9 for the return of a meaningful start menu has firmly put the nail in the coffin of Windows 8/8.1 and proves Microsoft has just not listened hard enough to those that matter and is now dragging it's feet on the issue.

As a desktop user I have no problem with Metro (it just gets ignored) but I do have a problem with the half assed start menu we have got at the moment and so simple to fix in the release of 8.1.1 you would think. Stubborness and stupidity will eventually kill Microsoft if the colour blind idiots who are allowed choose their colour schemes don't do it first. :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Well the part about 200 GB of free storage is false.

How is that false about the 200gb? I have it and i'm using it right now. Only for Surface 2 or Pro 2 purchasers. As a matter of fact, I have 50gb just in music that I have at my disposal at any time I want to stream my Skymusic app on my phone or Xbox Music.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC

Well the part about 200 GB of free storage is false. I have the Lumia 2520 and LTE on ATT the last I checked it was faster than 3/4G I purchased mine at the Microsoft Store without a contract. But to be fair I have issue with the lack of a couple of apps, the micro html connection and the usb 3 dongle required. The Bing apps are simply outstanding but there's no GPS navigation App even though there's GPS sensor built into the device. Nokia has Here Drive + but it was not ported to the 2520. Here Maps is and it's a beautiful app but it's not a GPS Navigation app period for RT. There is also no meaning zero Battery application apps available period it's just plain insulting why? I was always told you work to accentuate your strength and minimize your weaknesses. Either they're just stupid or they didn't have time neither is acceptable BTW there's a price difference depending on the storage I added 64 GB for 46 bucks I believe I can hang with you on storage, speed and general applications and raise you a few just my opinion bro peace
The 200gigs of Cloud storage was part of the offering, it was a TV add, maybe I misunderstood it, it was the only reason I brought it up.

I thought LTE was only in limited places, that is why the 3G and 4G were appealing to me, plus I am not crazy about piggy backing onto my phone, unless I misunderstand that also. My roomies are iPhone addicts, they are always on me to get an iPhone, I have to admit they are a great product.

I don't hate Windows 8, but listening to some of the Win 8 people, they act like I should be ashamed because I like my Windows 7, which I am not. I think Windows 7 is an excellent product. I almost don't even want a windows 8 system, because they (pro win8er's) are so hateful towards win7, or at least so it seems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
There are a few who need others to justify their choices. Some are offended by win7 users.

Sad, but there is nothing you can do to help them, only a shrink could do that.

I don't hate Windows 8, but listening to some of the Win 8 people, they act like I should be ashamed because I like my Windows 7, which I am not. I think Windows 7 is an excellent product. I almost don't even want a windows 8 system, because they (pro win8er's) are so hateful towards win7, or at least so it seems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

The 200gigs of Cloud storage was part of the offering, it was a TV add, maybe I misunderstood it, it was the only reason I brought it up.

I thought LTE was only in limited places, that is why the 3G and 4G were appealing to me, plus I am not crazy about piggy backing onto my phone, unless I misunderstand that also. My roomies are iPhone addicts, they are always on me to get an iPhone, I have to admit they are a great product.

Lol! It's actually the other way around. Go into any number of threads and read from any number of h8ters constantly complaining about change.

So, no. No one cares you like 7. This is an 8 board. Correct? W7 IS a great product. It's just not the product MS needs right now. They're trying to promote a progressive step towards convergence. Going against that puts that vision and MS a step back. But to bash 8 because it has added features is worse. No one is angry that you're stuck on 7. You're mistaking their confusion of why you'd want to be with your own reserve.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC