Users Mixed on Microsoft’s Anti-iPad Windows 8 Ad

Exactly, people don't know that Windows 8 is out there to make rubbish of the ipad, the average consumer isn't going to figure that out sooner than later; which is why there is a thing called marketing to show that exact point. Call it murky, but that's the best way to market something like that. When you have a crowd of people that buy apple products "because it's apple," they're not going to acknowledge Windows 8 or android. Just the way it is.

But I STRONGLY disagree with you on a better touch Windows 7 tablet PC...um, it's called Windows 8. Go to the Desktop on 8 with a tablet PC, do the same with a 7 based tablet PC, what do you get?

Actually, depending on the laptop itself, battery life can get up to over three easily. Ultrabooks do this easily. RT tablets do this very easily. Atom based tablet PCs with 8 do this as well.

I'd LOVE to see a mac running Windows 8, I believe it would honestly look SO much nicer than the leather stitched, chrome polished UI of mac os x.

Well, at this time Windows 8 is not able to make rubbish of the iPad - At least not yet. I've never seen a Windows 7 Tablet - Well actually I have but I never tried one out. I have seen Windows 8 Tablets and I have tried THEM out, but this was before I knew all about it. But my thought was, "THIS is supposed to be better than an iPad?" - Well, in order for that kind of aggressive adversarial marketing to work, ya have to have the goods to back up your spout, and Windows 8 is severely short in this.

I'm sure if I got one somehow, and tried it out, I may change my mind. Just like I changed my mind about iPhones - When I was given an original, 8 GB iPhone, I loved it, despite the "shortcomings" of lack of storage and no GPS for the model I had. But still, I used it for over a year until my cat vomited chocolate milk all over it.

My Brother have me his wife's old original iPhone as a replacement, and it was the first one I ever Jailbroke, because it no longer could be activated any other way. But that year, My brother bought me a brand new iPhone 4 for my birthday - 32 Gig. I used Jailbreakme.com to JB it, and I blew it when I tried to UD to iOS 5. because I did it via the OTA update, which bricked me. However I got a nice guy at the Apple Store who gave me a brand new one - THAT one never bricked, and I sold it for 400 bucks worth of hardware.

I tell this history because prior to actually HAVING an iPhone, I despised them. I had a Treo with a huge memory card in it. It had BUTTONS, it had a Stylus - You see, I was USED to all those things. I was used to the tactile feel of the buttons and I could text in the dark. Not so with an iPhone, but found other ways around this. and when I got an iPhone 4S, I had the Assistant, and now I use that to do everything, I even have a hands free so when the phone is fast asleep, I can say "Computer..." and siri pops up. And I can just TELL it what I want it to do.

Now, the one thing I like with Microsoft is their Speech Software, usually it works great. I have found out, the less training you do, the better it works. Now, Speech is NATIVE in Windows 8 - and I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TABLET! So I can try it out (Sorry for Yelling).

Yes, my next big purchase will be a used Macbook Pro, and I WILL be sticking Windows 8 into it. I am a huge proponent of Bootcamp, it is one of the best things Apple has ever done. They will not support OSx86 on Steve Jobs final directive, he shut down Darwin support himself - I hated him for that. But he did this Bootcamp thing which is great. The Windows 7 Bootcamp drivers should work well for 8.

Cross Platforming is a very important thing to me, I have been trying for years to find just the right OSx86 build to work in my machines. Still Looking.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I'm surprised they aren't using a Surface RT tablet for the comparison...

October for apple basically will be the release of a terrible knockoff of a Windows Phone in the form of ios 7. Latest report claims the UI will be black, white, and flat. apple's not going to release anything innovative because "they're the best."

They are. Please see up a couple posts for a new spot.

That's still the ASUS Vivo RT tablet. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I don't see this as anti iPad, they are simply trying to show why they feel their device is superior..even though it seems that people aren't buying it much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Exactly, people don't know that Windows 8 is out there to make rubbish of the ipad, the average consumer isn't going to figure that out sooner than later; which is why there is a thing called marketing to show that exact point. Call it murky, but that's the best way to market something like that. When you have a crowd of people that buy apple products "because it's apple," they're not going to acknowledge Windows 8 or android. Just the way it is.

But I STRONGLY disagree with you on a better touch Windows 7 tablet PC...um, it's called Windows 8. Go to the Desktop on 8 with a tablet PC, do the same with a 7 based tablet PC, what do you get?

Actually, depending on the laptop itself, battery life can get up to over three easily. Ultrabooks do this easily. RT tablets do this very easily. Atom based tablet PCs with 8 do this as well.

I'd LOVE to see a mac running Windows 8, I believe it would honestly look SO much nicer than the leather stitched, chrome polished UI of mac os x.

Well, at this time Windows 8 is not able to make rubbish of the iPad - At least not yet. I've never seen a Windows 7 Tablet - Well actually I have but I never tried one out. I have seen Windows 8 Tablets and I have tried THEM out, but this was before I knew all about it. But my thought was, "THIS is supposed to be better than an iPad?" - Well, in order for that kind of aggressive adversarial marketing to work, ya have to have the goods to back up your spout, and Windows 8 is severely short in this.

I'm sure if I got one somehow, and tried it out, I may change my mind. Just like I changed my mind about iPhones - When I was given an original, 8 GB iPhone, I loved it, despite the "shortcomings" of lack of storage and no GPS for the model I had. But still, I used it for over a year until my cat vomited chocolate milk all over it.

My Brother have me his wife's old original iPhone as a replacement, and it was the first one I ever Jailbroke, because it no longer could be activated any other way. But that year, My brother bought me a brand new iPhone 4 for my birthday - 32 Gig. I used Jailbreakme.com to JB it, and I blew it when I tried to UD to iOS 5. because I did it via the OTA update, which bricked me. However I got a nice guy at the Apple Store who gave me a brand new one - THAT one never bricked, and I sold it for 400 bucks worth of hardware.

I tell this history because prior to actually HAVING an iPhone, I despised them. I had a Treo with a huge memory card in it. It had BUTTONS, it had a Stylus - You see, I was USED to all those things. I was used to the tactile feel of the buttons and I could text in the dark. Not so with an iPhone, but found other ways around this. and when I got an iPhone 4S, I had the Assistant, and now I use that to do everything, I even have a hands free so when the phone is fast asleep, I can say "Computer..." and siri pops up. And I can just TELL it what I want it to do.

Now, the one thing I like with Microsoft is their Speech Software, usually it works great. I have found out, the less training you do, the better it works. Now, Speech is NATIVE in Windows 8 - and I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TABLET! So I can try it out (Sorry for Yelling).

Yes, my next big purchase will be a used Macbook Pro, and I WILL be sticking Windows 8 into it. I am a huge proponent of Bootcamp, it is one of the best things Apple has ever done. They will not support OSx86 on Steve Jobs final directive, he shut down Darwin support himself - I hated him for that. But he did this Bootcamp thing which is great. The Windows 7 Bootcamp drivers should work well for 8.

Cross Platforming is a very important thing to me, I have been trying for years to find just the right OSx86 build to work in my machines. Still Looking.

Considering what Windows 8 tablets PCs offer, it beats out the ipad hardcore. It's a nice all in one package that simplifies computing device needs for less cost, better practicality, greater flexibility, and unique than a freak. I've had the experience of using a Surface RT for a few days, even with the RT, I was pretty much sold on the experience. Then again, I don't place a high need on blown up ios/android apps like one would with an ipad or android tablet. It's rather ironic, on one hand, Microsoft is wanting to push away from the Desktop for legitimate reasons, and yet the Desktop is actually one of the best reasons why to buy a Windows tablet. I was once in the market a couple years ago for a laptop, but I was so fed up with EVERYTHING out there because there wasn't anything unique or better than anything else from any OEM. But then I saw this one ASUS tablet PC with 7, with a core i5 and a stylus, that is what I really wanted. Terribly expensive, but then came along with Windows 8 and a better promise of better computing on every PC. I still haven't gotten around to buying a tablet PC since I just don't have the need for one right now, maybe later this fall or next fall; but for right now I'm going to be plunking down a good thousand and a half as well as several months building a whole desktop PC from the literal ground up designed in part by Windows 8.

I've actually tried out speech recognition on several PCs that I've played with in stores. They're usually pretty decent, I've found MORE training makes it work better, along with properly configuring your microphone (you really do need a decent microphone). But I REALLY wish Microsoft would make speech in Windows 8 like on the Xbox One. I watched the whole reveal event last night on youtube and it was just so freaking cool how you can say, "Xbox: go home," or "Xbox: watch ESPN" like it's freaking Star Trek! That's the most perfect way to utilize speech on Windows. Star Trek had it figured out WELL before anyone else, you must say, "Computer" to start speech commands. But instead, it could be, "Windows, go to sleep" or "Windows, open Internet Explorer." It's really a tad murky when you use speech recognition on Windows while playing music, too much interference if you don't position the mic well enough.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
And even with as good and awesome as you claim these devices are, you still haven't actually spent any money out of pocket on them, have you?

For me, that speaks volumes more than all these words that I see you type.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
And even with as good and awesome as you claim these devices are, you still haven't actually spent any money out of pocket on them, have you?

For me, that speaks volumes more than all these words that I see you type.
No, because I don't personally need these devices at the moment. I don't really find the logic in having to spend thousands of dollars just to convince words on the internet I "stand" behind whatever. I'll buy what I want to buy when I want to buy. Right now, I would rather spend thousands on a high end graphics/home server/gaming rig with an impressive 23 or 27 inch touchscreen monitor preferably with pressure sensitivity.

When I DO have the need for a tablet PC, I already know what I'm buying. When people ask me what a good tablet to buy or what a good Windows 8 PC to buy, I will bloody know.

But then again, I like to live a Spartan life style, want not, waste not. I don't want to have four different game consoles, a chromebook for forum browsing, an android tablet for my niece to use, three PCs for whatever, ect. I would rather have one great desktop that is an all in one device. Called it, PC One. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Right now, I would rather spend thousands on a high end graphics/home server/gaming rig with an impressive 23 or 27 inch touchscreen monitor preferably with pressure sensitivity.
I will agree with you there, these are far more usable, functional, powerful and upgradeable.

But then again, I like to live a Spartan life style, want not, waste not. I don't want to have four different game consoles, a chromebook for forum browsing, an android tablet for my niece to use, three PCs for whatever, ect. I would rather have one great desktop that is an all in one device. Called it, PC One. ;)
Our needs are very different. I don't really want 4 different game consoles either, but with 2 young kids and Nintendo far better catering to the kids market, I've got a Wii-U for them. Personally, I game on an Xbox360 as I like the controller better. And I have a PS3 because I love Gran Turismo and it's exclusive to the Playstation and the PS3 is a great blu-ray player so that's what I use for my BluRay's. And the family uses the PS3 for NetFlix and Hulu because we like the PS3 interface much better. So, sadly I do have multiple game consoles.

I do have a chromebook and I'm using it right now. It's tiny, it's great to type on and it was only $249. So, if my kids damage it, then I am not out a lot. And the kids cannot install anything onto this, nor infect it with malware or spyware so it's ideal for basic web surfing tasks. I stared reading this thread on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (provided by work), but when I realized how much I wanted to type and the fact that I would quote you a few times, I set the phone down and grabbed the chromebook.

I do have a android tablet (an Asus Transformer). I bought it for 2 reasons.
  1. Get hands on experience and try to figure out the appeal of tablets
  2. Portable use for my kids. They use it for YouTube videos, Netflix, etc.

Honestly, out of all of the devices I ever bought, the tablet is the least useful. I don't completely regret the purchase, but it's by far the least useful computer type device I own.

I don't want 1 and only 1 PC. With multiple family members using the computer, I don't want to share and I don't want to risk security by allowing my kids to use my computer. My computer is mine and only mine. Nobody screws it up but me.

I have a file server that houses my important stuff, and shares out drives and printers. The family can depend upon this computer running 24x7. No matter what I play with on my workstation, or how many upgrades I try or new operating systems, there is never a concern the server will be up. It's a dedicated box that is never touched.

Finally, I find value in multiple devices because when one does experience a hardware failure and is down and out, I have others that I can use in the interim.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I finally saw one of these ads, to say they are ludicrous is generous. Windows 8 in NO WAY can replace an iPad, can't be compared to an iPad, isn't even the same kind of Device an iPad IS.

Microsoft can only imitate an iPad, they cannot ever convince people that it's a viable iPad replacement. Not even close.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Considering what Windows 8 tablets PCs offer, it beats out the ipad hardcore. It's a nice all in one package that simplifies computing device needs for less cost, better practicality, greater flexibility, and unique than a freak. I've had the experience of using a Surface RT for a few days, even with the RT, I was pretty much sold on the experience. Then again, I don't place a high need on blown up ios/android apps like one would with an ipad or android tablet. It's rather ironic, on one hand, Microsoft is wanting to push away from the Desktop for legitimate reasons, and yet the Desktop is actually one of the best reasons why to buy a Windows tablet. I was once in the market a couple years ago for a laptop, but I was so fed up with EVERYTHING out there because there wasn't anything unique or better than anything else from any OEM. But then I saw this one ASUS tablet PC with 7, with a core i5 and a stylus, that is what I really wanted. Terribly expensive, but then came along with Windows 8 and a better promise of better computing on every PC. I still haven't gotten around to buying a tablet PC since I just don't have the need for one right now, maybe later this fall or next fall; but for right now I'm going to be plunking down a good thousand and a half as well as several months building a whole desktop PC from the literal ground up designed in part by Windows 8.

I've actually tried out speech recognition on several PCs that I've played with in stores. They're usually pretty decent, I've found MORE training makes it work better, along with properly configuring your microphone (you really do need a decent microphone). But I REALLY wish Microsoft would make speech in Windows 8 like on the Xbox One. I watched the whole reveal event last night on youtube and it was just so freaking cool how you can say, "Xbox: go home," or "Xbox: watch ESPN" like it's freaking Star Trek! That's the most perfect way to utilize speech on Windows. Star Trek had it figured out WELL before anyone else, you must say, "Computer" to start speech commands. But instead, it could be, "Windows, go to sleep" or "Windows, open Internet Explorer." It's really a tad murky when you use speech recognition on Windows while playing music, too much interference if you don't position the mic well enough.

Aren't we supposed to compare the Surface tablets to the Macbook Air? Anyhow, Apple deserves this. They've been picking on poor ol' PC for a while now. ;)

asus-convertible-1-7-12-ces2013.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
Aren't we supposed to compare the Surface tablets to the Macbook Air? Anyhow, Apple deserves this. They've been picking on poor ol' PC for a while now. ;)

View attachment 22518

Maybe, but Apple had always had devices that kicked MS in the groin. Ya gotta remember, people buy Apple for prestige mostly, not for "How much more cack you can do with a Windows 8 Device" - If I wanted Windows functionality in a Tablet, I would buy a Windows OS based tablet, even a Windows 8 tablet, if they made any that are not limited to just having RT on them.

Is that a pic of Windows 8 running on Bootcamp? That's great - And this is why Apple despite their "MS Bashing" is a decent competitor for MS - They could easily never have developed BootCamp and told Apple/MS users to go suck eggs and continue the Non-Cross-Platforming that was going on in the 90's - But even with earlier versions of MACOS 9.2.2 and original OSX.1, they always had support for Virtualization, and supplied support for running Windows that way. Boot camp was a huge boon for users who like to use both OS's - Like me. Heh. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I personally love that ad :) Finally someone dares to bash at a competitor instead of regular ads with a bunch of special effects.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600k
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3
    Memory
    G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2x4GB 1600MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX580DCUII
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair TX850v2
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF X
    Cooling
    Too much!
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 10
As a former Apple employee, I witnessed many people (mostly elderly) who were trying to use the iPad as a notebook replacement. For a very small minority with minimalist needs such as web browsing, email and video chat; the iPad was sufficient.

The Surface is the happy medium between an iPad/Android tablet and a notebook computer. I'm hesitant to include the MacBook Air in that mix because it lacks a touch screen which sort of leaves it in the ultrabook/notebook category.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Alienware m14x
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT 650m
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
It's just hard to call the surface the happy medium between a standard tablet and a notebook due to its cost. Is often more expensive than a laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
It's just hard to call the surface the happy medium between a standard tablet and a notebook due to its cost. Is often more expensive than a laptop.

The Surface Pro, however, performs just like or better tan a laptop. A friend of mine beat me at building the same program we were working on in Visual Studio (I was on an i3 laptop with W8)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600k
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX580DCUII
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair TX850v2
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF X
    Cooling
    Too much!
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 10

The Surface Pro, however, performs just like or better tan a laptop. A friend of mine beat me at building the same program we were working on in Visual Studio (I was on an i3 laptop with W8)

Sure, an i5 with an SSD will outrun an i3 that may or may not have an SSD. But if you need graphics power, or more ram, or a bigger screen or more USB ports...you might really be left hanging.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

Sure, an i5 with an SSD will outrun an i3 that may or may not have an SSD. But if you need graphics power, or more ram, or a bigger screen or more USB ports...you might really be left hanging.
True that, however convenience is also an issue to consider, very high-end laptops can be really heavy and bulky, but you are definitlely right.

It does always look cool to pop out a Surface Tablet though :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600k
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 B3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX580DCUII
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair TX850v2
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF X
    Cooling
    Too much!
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 10

True that, however convenience is also an issue to consider, very high-end laptops can be really heavy and bulky, but you are definitlely right.

It does always look cool to pop out a Surface Tablet though :cool:

The other day a work colleague of mine asked about my Pro and mentioned it was a waste of money after finding out the cost and that it had no 4G modem, compared to an ipad.

I was like, umm :huh: it's a full computer. Not a giant ipod.

No, a waste of money to me is spending $500+ on a giant ipod.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
The other day a work colleague of mine asked about my Pro and mentioned it was a waste of money after finding out the cost and that it had no 4G modem, compared to an ipad.

I was like, umm :huh: it's a full computer. Not a giant ipod.

No, a waste of money to me is spending $500+ on a giant ipod.

Lol! Yes. And this fact: http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en...-use-your-phones-data-connection-with-surface

I realize all do not have a smart phone with a data package, but I would think that most do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

But it's roughly on par price wise as a touch enabled laptop...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

But it's roughly on par price wise as a touch enabled laptop...

Correct, so it's on par, not a happy medium.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back