User Profiles - Relocate to another Partition or Disk

How to Relocate User Profiles to another Partition or Disk in Windows 8

information   Information
The method described in this tutorial allows relocating user profiles and folders already while installing Windows 8, before any user accounts are created, as well as after installation on an already installed system.

The advantage of this method is that it changes some internal Windows 8 environment variables, being a “Do it once and forget” procedure. Changing the variables takes care of all existing and future user profiles, locating them when created to selected drive or partition. The method is fail proof and reversible.

When Windows 8 is installed, 5 or 6 system folders are created depending on chosen bit-version:
  • PerfLogs (Performance Logs), where Windows stores performance and reliability logs
  • Program Files, where applications and software are installed. Windows x86 (32-bit) stores all applications here, Windows x64 (64-bit) only native 64-bit applications
  • Program Files (x86), exists only in Windows x64. All non-x64 applications are stored here
  • Windows, which contains core operating system files and drivers
  • ProgramData, where some applications store application and user specific settings and configuration files.
  • Users. This is the “home” of all user profiles. When a new user account is created and this new user logs in first time, Windows creates a set of user specific folders (Users\Username)

Microsoft does not recommend relocating, moving ProgramData, Program Files, Program Files (x86) and Windows folders. Too much is depending on information and data stored on these folders. However, there's simply nothing preventing us to move the Users folder. In this tutorial we show how to move (relocate) the Users folder by changing an internal Windows Environment Variable.

Moving Users folder can save a lot of space on system disk. Pictures, mp3’s videos, documents and so on, a user folder with its subfolders can be tens, sometimes hundreds of gigabytes.

Personally, when installing Windows 8 I always use Audit Mode to relocate Users folder, leaving system drive only for Windows and applications.

Note   Note
Screenshots from pre-release version Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Actual Windows 8 has different colors but the functions are the same, tutorial can be used as it is.

warning   Warning

An upgraded Windows cannot be sysprepped. As this method is based in sysprepping, this tutorial is valid only for Windows setups which have not been upgraded.

This means that if you have for instance in-place upgraded Vista or Seven to Eight you cannot sysprep and this tutorial cannot be used in your case. The same applies if you have upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 to 8.1.

Notice that a repair install is also an upgrade install, so if you have ever done a repair install (= in-place upgrade to same edition), you cannot sysprep.

When sysprepping an existing Windows setup, it only works if the Windows 8 was installed clean and has never been upgraded or repaired using repair install, or if it is the original pre-installed Windows 8

Although I have repeatedly told that relocating ProgramData will cause Windows Store and Apps as well as PC Settings not to function, people keep doing it using the method described in this tutorial.

DO NOT RELOCATE PROGRAMDATA! YOUR WINDOWS STORE AND APPS WILL NOT WORK IF PROGRAMDATA IS MOVED FROM ITS DEFAULT LOCATION.

1.Audit Mode

1.1. Boot to Audit Mode when installing Windows 8

(If you have already installed Windows 8, continue from step 1.2.)

Start Windows 8 installation normally.

When installation after a reboot or two is completed and Windows 8 comes to Personalize page (see screenshot below) press CTRL + SHIFT + F3 (press and hold down CTRL and SHIFT, press F3 still holding CTRL and SHIFT down, release all three keys).

Win8_RelocateUsers_012.png

DO NOT ENTER PC NAME HERE OR CLICK NEXT! Just press CTRL + SHIFT + F3.

Your computer reboots now. Don’t panic, it’s just doing what it really should do. Windows 8 starts now in so called Audit Mode, using built-in administrator account to let you to modify Windows before any user profiles and user specific folders are created.

Continue from step 2.

1.2. Boot to Audit Mode from existing Windows 8 installation

First you need to open Command Prompt using built-in administrative account: hover pointer over bottom left corner of the desktop, right click to open Start Menu , select Command Prompt (Admin):

Win8_RelocateUsers_005.png Win8_RelocateUsers_006.png

Command Prompt window opens. Type this to command prompt:
Code:
[B]C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot[/B]

Win8_RelocateUsers_015.png

Hit Enter.Windows reboots now to Audit Mode, "thinking" it's been started first time. Text Preparing can be seen on screen.

If you are interested to know more about Audit Mode, here are some links for you to read:

2. Audit Mode

Windows has now booted in Audit Mode using built-in administrator account, and you should see Metro interface. Click Desktop to enter classic Windows desktop:

Win8_RelocateUsers_003.png

To start, click Cancel to close System Preparation Tool:

Win8_RelocateUsers_004.png

If you don’t have a second internal hard disk or you have not created and formatted an extra partition on your system disk, you need first to create one. Notice that the drive or partition don't have to be empty, but especially if relocating on an existing installation it must be big enough to allow Users folder to be moved there. When we sysprep with answer file on next step these two folders are physically moved to new location.

If you already have a formatted second HD or partition, you are ready to go.

2.1. Creating an answer file (script) for System Preparation Tool

Audit Mode lets us to start Windows without creating any user accounts. At the moment we are using the built-in administrator account. Your own accounts are created later.

We are going to use System Preparation Tool (sysprep) to run an XML-script (so called Answer file) which modifies the Windows registry and settings as we want to, relocating Users folder to another partition, E: in this example, by changing a so called Windows Environment Variable. You can of course use any internal drive you want to.

Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a set of rules for encoding documents in machine readable form.
To make changes to Windows registry, we will now create a script in XML and run it with sysprep.

Open Windows Notepad text editor (press Win + R, type Notepad, hit Enter). Type the following script, or copy it from here and paste to Notepad (please do not forget to read the notes below code lines 4, 6 and 11 regarding said lines):

1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  2. <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
  3. <settings pass="oobeSystem">
  4. <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm=[noparse]"http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"[/noparse]>
    Note   Note
    (If you are installing Windows x64 (64-bit), value prosessorArchitecture should be amd64​, also on Intel processors. For x86 (32-bit) it should be x86.)

5. <FolderLocations>
  6. <ProfilesDirectory>e:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
    Note   Note
    In this example the new location of Users would be E:\Users. Change the drive letter according your needs.

7. </FolderLocations>
  8. </component>
  9. </settings>
  10. [noparse]<cpi:eek:fflineImage[/noparse] cpi:source="wim:F:/sources/install.wim#Windows 8" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    Note   Note
    (Change the drive letter in wim:F: to that of your CD/DVD drive, USB stick or virtual drive containing your Windows 8 installation media (DVD/ISO). Notice that installation media has to be available to system when running sysprep. Change Windows version accordingly, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro.

11. </unattend>
(Please leave the row numbers out when typing or copying the above code. Answer file generated with Windows System Image Manager).

If you are installing Windows 8 PRO x64 from CD/DVD/USB F: and relocating Users to E: you don’t have to change anything, you can use the script as it is.

Select Save As from Notepad’s File menu. Select Save as type: All Files. Name the file as you want, add .xml extension to the filename. Save the script to the root of any drive:

SaveAs.png

Alternatively you can download the answer file here: View attachment relocate.rar

2.2. Using System Preparation Tool

Open the Start Menu (Win + X), select Command Prompt (Admin).

First stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (WMPNetworkSvc) by giving the following command:
Code:
net stop WMPNetworkSvc

When the service has stopped, type the following to the command prompt and press
Enter to move to the right folder:
Code:
cd c:\Windows\System32\Sysprep

Win8_RelocateUsers_007.png

Now type the following and press Enter (notice the name and path of the script we created above, change it if needed. I saved answer file on E so the path is E:\relocate.xml):
Code:
Sysprep.exe /audit /reboot /unattend:E:\relocate.xml

Win8_RelocateUsers_008.png

You should now see System Preparation Tool dialog telling it is working on our script:

Win8_RelocateUsers_010.png

Let it run, don’t touch mouse or keyboard now. When System Preparation Tool is ready, Windows must and will reboot. It reboots back to Audit Mode.

2.3. Exiting Audit Mode

To continue Windows installation we have to exit Audit Mode and reboot. After reboot you’ll land back on Metro interface. Click Desktop to enter classic Windows desktop, click OK on System Preparation Tool dialog to boot normally in OOBE i.e. normal mode.

Before clicking OK, check that System Cleanup Action is set to OOBE, and Shutdown Options set to Reboot:

Win8_RelocateUsers_009.png

3. Finalizing installation

Finalize Windows installation.

If you did this from an existing Windows installation, you will notice that for your Windows this is as if it were the first time Windows was booted i.e you are back on OOBE boot, inserting product key and personalizing Windows. It also means that you have to enter so called initial user. In this case Windows does not accept any of the users created earlier, whether local or Microsoft accounts; instead you need to create a new user.

An example from this PC I am using now: I had already created two users and installed software when I decided to do sysprep to relocate Users. I had a local account for me and an Microsoft account using my email address. After finalizing sysprep, I needed to create a third user Test because system does not let me to use either Kari (local account) or Kari (Microsoft account) usernames because those accounts already existed on this PC.

So I created user Test (local), then from Welcome screen logged in as Kari (Microsoft account) and simply deleted the new Test account which I had just created. An extra step, small annoyance but there's nothing to do to avoid it.

When Windows finally boots first time to Start Screen you will see that Users folder is now located on the new drive or partition with all its subfolders.

When you check your system drive [noparse](C:) still [/noparse]contains Users folder. The old, original Users on C: can contain some Windows Store information that may not be moved, so let the old Users folder stay on C:. It will no longer grow, all new user data will be stored on a new location, but it is essential it remains on C:. You can hide it if you want, you are never again going to need it.

Notice that Users folder is not created on or moved to new location when you return to Audit Mode after running sysprep. Relocation will first happen when you exit Audit Mode and boot to OOBE (Welcome) mode to continue installation. If done on an existing system the first OOBE boot after sysprepping can take quite a long time, depending on how big those folders are that sysprep is physically moving to new location.

Remember also that when you create a new user profile the user folders are not created before the new user logs in first time.

That’s it, folks! Welcome to the Windows 8:

Win8_RelocateUsers_016.png

Win8_RelocateUsers_017.png

Now create a system image and you wont have to ever again remember jumplists and links everytime you restore the system to earlier point or system image. User account folders are now permanently moved to another drive, all new user profiles are automatically created on this new location and your system drive won’t be full so soon.

Thanks for reading.

Written and published on 02[SUP]nd[/SUP] of March 2012
Edited and updated on 6[SUP]th[/SUP] of February 2013
Edited, answer file's validity checked on 14[SUP]th[/SUP] of April 2013
Added instructions for Windows 8.1 Pro preview on 29th of June 2013

Kari

Attachments

• Win8_RelocateUsers_014.png
    Win8_RelocateUsers_014.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,543
  • 2013-06-29_122425.png
    2013-06-29_122425.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,069
  • 2013-06-29_122904.png
    2013-06-29_122904.png
    7 KB · Views: 1,857
Last edited by a moderator:
I used the procedures defined by Kari and all works well - even the metro store. I only moved the user profiles. Left the program data on c drive. Now I want to revert the user profiles back to c. I changed the drive for user profiles from E to C in the relocate.xml script and executed the sysprep commands. The user folders appear to have been moved but there's still a trace/data on th e drive. After a little navigating and logging off I got an error. Windows could not repair itself so I tried to restore from an image. Things got worse bc th image expected my profile to be on e but e was not included in the image so ingot a user profile service error.

Need advice on best way to move all user profiles back to c.

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
First, I'd like to thank you guys for everything here. It was a lot of help on my journey.

I have a 128gb SSD and a 1TB HDD. Not much different than what most people have.

I installed Windows normally, booted into audit mode and ran the relocate script. I included moving the ProgramData folder as well as the Users folder.

When I finally got to sign in with my user account which I created, like everyone else, I couldn't access any Metro apps or settings. So I set out to figure out how to fix this. After reinstalling Windows about 4 times I finally figured it out. I haven't found anyone else, anywhere on the Internet, who has figured this out so I hope that it can help somebody.

After you're finished following the tutorial Kari posted:

1) WinKey+R to launch the run dialog
2) regedit (press ctrl+shift+enter to run in elevated mode)
3) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
4) Right click on Appx and edit permissions
5) Click Advanced
6) At the top it says Owner: xxxxx Change
7) Click Change
8) Add yourself as an owner
9) Apply new settings, Ok
10) Give yourself permissions as Full Control
11) Apply, Ok
12) Right click PackageRepositoryRoot registry key and click Modify
13) Change the C:\ to your new drive. In my case it looks like this: D:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository
14) Click Ok
15) Restart Windows

That should be it, worked for me, hopefully it helps out some others!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Metro Apps Registry Fix

Hi Anthony,

Very impressed with your registry fix for the Metro Apps and Store with ProgramData relocated as per Kari's tutorial ......sounds like you're right on the money with this and as you have stated these registry paths are not covered elsewhere on the net:)

I too have been having issues with the non standard profiles and suspect that you may be able to point me in the right direction here if I can outline my own 'non standard' situation as having attempted the 'ownership change' you outlined (but obviously NOT the ProgramData path) I still have the issue:(

1. I have used Kari's Audit Mode Tutorial to relocate ONLY the C:\Users to D:\Users
2. I then further reassigned the profile path of my Primary User to that of D:\Primary (modifying Profile Image Path for that Profile's registry key (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/WindowsNT/ProfileList) as I have done since Windows XP.
3. Secondary Users remain at D:\Users\Secondary
4. Secondary Users can Sign In and Use the Apps/Store normally
5. Primary User Account does not enjoy full functionality NOR access to the Store (either via Windows 8 MS Account Sign In or Local Account Sign In with subsequent MS Account Sign In to access the Store)......Store advises either "We weren’t able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. Please wait a few minutes and try again." OR using store sign in from local account a momentary spinning disc at the Sign In button and loop back to the button. Attempts to try installing a free app report "Your purchase couldn't be completed. Something happened and your purchase can't be completed." .....It also variously advises that I am not connected to the internet....which clearly I am!!!

I suspect that the issue lies somewhere in the Appx or similar path which requires modifying to restore normal functionality?

In simple terms the goal is to achieve the following:
1. Retain the (Primary) user profile location of D:\Primary (NB. NOT C:\Users\Primary OR D:\Users\Primary)
2. Sign into Windows 8 with a 'Local' Account
3. Enjoy full functionality of the Metro Apps......especially the Windows Store :)
4. Sign In to the Store FROM my 'Local' Account submitting my 'MS Account' ONLY as and when required to actually 'Sign In' to the Store
5. Keep other (Secondary) user profiles located in D:\Users\Secondary NOT C:\Users\Secondary

Any thoughts much appreciated....

Many thanks in advance,

PC Pilot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer with U3S6 Controller Card
    Memory
    6GB Corsair Dominator (3 X 2G) PC3 15000 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II - ENGTX560 Ti DCII2DI1GD5
Anthony Fleck - The Man!!

Heres my technical response: It friggin finally works! Metro apps and all. Users AND Program Data relocated according to Kari
and then doing Anthonys regedit instructions works.
Hallelujuah!

Now all you guys that didnt move Program Data before have work to do...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 x990 3.47ghz
    Memory
    18gb
    Hard Drives
    160gb SSD/750 HDD
    Internet Speed
    35/35
Hi

Ah it appears to work for others with relocated C:\Users\User to D (or whatever)\Users\User but as my customisation is to D:\User apparently not so.

I feel I'm getting close to a fix on this......Anybody care to suggest what I might have overlooked here with my particular customisation??

Desperate to resolve and get my apps/store working:)

PC Pilot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self Build
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
I should add that moving my Users and Program Data over to D: was all done on a clean install according to Karis original instructions. I then rebooted out of Audit mode, setup acct profile(local-not a msft acct) and I then followed Anthony Flecks instructions using regedit and applying full ownership to that profile.
My system setup is pretty much the same as his with W8 Pro OS on my SSD and my Users and Program Data on my HDD.
The Metro Store and all apps work after following the original instructions of this article on a clean install and then using Anthony Flecks method with regedit after.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 x990 3.47ghz
    Memory
    18gb
    Hard Drives
    160gb SSD/750 HDD
    Internet Speed
    35/35
Hi everyone,

Looking closer at my non standard customisation issue I have a feeling that I might have a corrupted junction link. Checking my links at elevated command prompt 'dir'. All show up except C:\Users to D:\Users and yet when I try to create that link the system complains "Cannot create a file when that file already exists". Each of the other existing links report similarly as of course they do exist!!!

Unless anybody can shed any light upon this I intend to bite the bullet and try a further fresh Clean Install of Windows 8 deploying the Users folder onto Drive D: and then moving the main user profile (User1) alongside the Users folder at the root of D: This will at least give me the opportunity to undertake the customization from square one. I would however, like to run my proposed sequence of actions past the experts here just in case I am causing myself problems doing anything in the wrong order or missing out any important process step(s).

1. Save contents of user folders to an external drive deleting folders remaining on drive D:

2. Following Kari's Tutorial enter Audit Mode.

3. Verify Computer Drive Letters in Disk Management and ensure assigned locations are revised in script file.

4. Use script file to relocate C:\Users to D:\Users.

5. Boot back to "Out of Box Experience".

6. At Personalize screen (initial reboot) open elevated command prompt and create mklink /j C:\Users D:\Users

7. Create initial (dummy) user profile and let Windows 8 complete the install process.

8. Create further profiles through control panel assigning admin rights to principal users.

9. Log into an admin profile other than the principal user profile to be modified.

10. Create new folder at D: root (D:\User1) and copy contents of D:\Users\User1 to the new folder.

11. Delete folder (D:\Users\User1) and create junction (mklink /j D:\Users\User1 D:\User1)

12. Run Regedit in Elevated Command Prompt and navigate to key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx

13. Right click on Appx and edit permissions, Click Advanced, Change Owner, Add User1, Apply, OK, Give Full Control permissions,
Apply, OK.

14. Reboot.

Not sure if any need to modify HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, ProfileImagePath for the User1 (Or others) Profile Key(s) or whether application of the proposed links will be adequate.........

Any advice much appreciated.

PC Pilot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self Build
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
What I did:

1. Booted from W8 Pro Disk
2. When windows asks "where do you want to install? I formatted both my primary SSD and my secondary HDD, also making sure to remove the 350MB System Reserved partition(After researching, felt I duidnt need it).
3.After formatting both drives, I chose to install W8 onto the SSD drive
4. After Windows reboots into Audit Mode, cancel the restart to OOBE
5.Prepared and saved xml script file to D: after making my necessary drive revisions
6.Opened Sysprep from the command prompt and ran command to relocate the xml file(Karis instructions)
7.Windows reboots into Audit mode. Reboot to OOBE
8.I then setup my profile as administrator and logged in
9.Then followed Anthony Flecks regedit instructions:
WinKey+R to launch the run dialog
2) regedit (press ctrl+shift+enter to run in elevated mode)
3) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
4) Right click on Appx and edit permissions
5) Click Advanced
6) At the top it says Owner: xxxxx Change
7) Click Change
8) Add yourself as an owner
9) Apply new settings, Ok
10) Give yourself permissions as Full Control
11) Apply, Ok
12) Right click PackageRepositoryRoot registry key and click Modify
13) Change the C:\ to your new drive. In my case it looks like this: D:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository
14) Click Ok
15) Restart Windows

Everything works fine. Did it on a couple other PCs setup the same way and they work fine as well, Metro apps and all.
Hope you find an answer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 x990 3.47ghz
    Memory
    18gb
    Hard Drives
    160gb SSD/750 HDD
    Internet Speed
    35/35
Seems like this process should be automated at this point. Couldn't this all be done with a scripted app in pre-boot mode? Seems like once someone got it exactly right that many others could benefit? Also, the tweeks could evolve and be fine tuned as reported by the users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Hi RL70 + Everyone

Thanks for reviewing....noticed that you didn't mention symbolic junction links (mklink /j) as these are by no means my strong point just wished to clarify on their use with this process as some posters appear to use (require) whilst others don't??

Secondly, and possibly related? As I wish to undertake the additional step of relocating one of the users from D:\Users\User1 to its own folder alongside the Users folder at the root of D: (D:\User1 ALONGSIDE D:\Users\User2...User3 .etc.) is this best accomplished solely with a symbolic junction link? with/without mod to the registry? ....both??

Appreciate the experts thoughts on this......

PC Pilot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self Build
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
Sorry I've been away from here, saw the new posts first now.

@ Hornfan24: I do not know what went wrong for you. You need to boot from Windows Install Media if you used Windows Backup to create the image, or boot disk for your imaging application if you used third party tool, and then restore the image. It should work.

@Anthony: Your fix is fabulous! With your permission I would like to add that to the tutorial, of course giving credits to you as an author.

@ NCguy: It might happen when I find some extra time...

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Kari,

Be my guest :)

I unfortunately don't have time to stick around much and help people out beyond what I have just done. After spending the better portion of a day off to figure this out I was excited to post it and hopefully save some people some time!

Good community here! I may pop in once in awhile, but can't make any promises! Thanks for the help with the original tutorial!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Hello,
if you modify the tutorial you should add that the apps might also not work any more if the Program Data was not moved.
In my case, I moved only the Users folder, and for the main user account which was created before the move, the apps do not work any more. Also the fix described by anthonyfleck (leaving out the change of the Program Data directory key) did not fix it.

Cheers,
Murf

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Hi Murf,

Not sure if I understand this correctly :confused:
I moved only the Users folder, and for the main user account which was created before the move
.....but if you mean you relocated BOTH the "Users" folder AND (separately) the "Main User Profile" folder which you had created earlier your issue could be similar to mine:)

If it helps, I have established that whilst in the past (Windows 7, XP etc.) it was possible to relocate the "Users" folder as outlined in this tutorial AND then an individual "User Profile" folder (in my case through registry) this appears to NO LONGER be possible in Windows 8 due to issues with the Windows Store and Apps; see TechNet article Profiles Directory which states "When this setting is changed, the Windows® Store and Windows Store apps are not supported".

I have successfully deployed Windows 8 (relocating only the "Users" folder like you) using this tutorial from a clean install. The Windows Store and Windows Store Apps ALL function without issue as others have reported.

My problems arose when attempting to relocate my "main" user profile to a drive root (which I have done previously over many years) at this point the Windows Store and Windows Store Apps would no longer function correctly no matter how I tried to correct this behaviour. Store would not sign in and certain apps would not launch....:(

In conclusion I have determined (at least until others wiser than me lol, unlock the secret to doing this) that the only workable solution is:

1. Backup all user data.
2. Perform a "Clean Install" relocating the "Users" folder to the root of your chosen drive using Kari's tutorial.
3. Manually relocate each "virtual" Shell Folder (Documents, Music, Videos etc.) for each User to a given location (Folder Properties, "Location" tab) reflecting your preferences.
4. Restore your Personal data.
5. Test Store and Apps for EACH user.
6. Apply (if necessary) AnthonyFleck's 'permissions' fix.

NB. Whilst (for me) not ideal as this leaves each User's (hidden) AppData folder resident in the "Users" folder at least all Personal data can be relocated appropriately.

Finally, as you did not specify whether this was being attempted from an "In Place" standpoint or a "Clean Install" having only attempted the latter, I guess the outcomes could vary for the former??

Hope this helps you.:)

PC Pilot

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self Build
    CPU
    I7 920
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
Hi PC Pilot,
I first installed Win8, and a couple of days later transferred the c:\users as it is described in the tutorial. Of course, at this point I already had 1 user account since I had started win8 before (the "main user account", as I called it before). For this account, the apps are not working. I'm pretty sure by now that the permissions got screwed up somewhere. Right now it seems that transferring the personal data to a new user account and deleting the "broken" one is the easiest solution. Re-installing windows + all programs will certainly need more time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
In conclusion I have determined (at least until others wiser than me lol, unlock the secret to doing this) that the only workable solution is:

1. Backup all user data.
2. Perform a "Clean Install" relocating the "Users" folder to the root of your chosen drive using Kari's tutorial.
3. Manually relocate each "virtual" Shell Folder (Documents, Music, Videos etc.) for each User to a given location (Folder Properties, "Location" tab) reflecting your preferences.
4. Restore your Personal data.
5. Test Store and Apps for EACH user.
6. Apply (if necessary) AnthonyFleck's 'permissions' fix.

PC Pilot

PC pilot,

If you are going this route do you even need to perform step #2 if you are going to do step #3? Or does step number #2 keep you from having to do step #3 for subsequent new users?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1 Pro 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Build Desktop
    CPU
    Core I7-4770 Haswell
    Motherboard
    Intel DH87RL
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Onboard 4600 with (3) DVI monitors
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    (3) 19" LG L1942PE DVI
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x1024
    Hard Drives
    HD Green 4TB

Samsung SSD
Hi PC Pilot,
I first installed Win8, and a couple of days later transferred the c:\users as it is described in the tutorial. Of course, at this point I already had 1 user account since I had started win8 before (the "main user account", as I called it before). For this account, the apps are not working. I'm pretty sure by now that the permissions got screwed up somewhere. Right now it seems that transferring the personal data to a new user account and deleting the "broken" one is the easiest solution. Re-installing windows + all programs will certainly need more time.

Yes - exactly my own situation. Worked a treat on a new build, transferring users from my 180 GB solid state drive, where I just want the OS & programs, to a 3 TB HDD. No real problem at all to set up a new account & delete the old one as long as you have more than 1 email account for Microsoft Passport as it won't let you use the same one on the same PC. Many thanks for the instructions & updates.

One issue I encountered. Could not install Roxio 2012 as the new user - kept rolling back, but found it worked when I activated the hidden Administrator account & ran it when logged on to that. Don't know if this is a possible issue with other programs. I haven't encountered any yet.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
Yes - exactly my own situation. Worked a treat on a new build, transferring users from my 180 GB solid state drive, where I just want the OS & programs, to a 3 TB HDD. No real problem at all to set up a new account & delete the old one as long as you have more than 1 email account for Microsoft Passport as it won't let you use the same one on the same PC. Many thanks for the instructions & updates.

When setting up additional accounts first time in Windows 8 I noticed there is a workaround for using the same Microsoft address for as many user accounts as you want to.

Because the nature of my work I need several user profiles. My main user account in Windows 8 is a Microsoft Account and is connected to an Outlook.com (Live.com) email account. Additionally I have 4 local accounts, each transformed to a certain language for my work needs using Windows Language Packs, changing the Display Language. My main account is for private use only and in English, additional work accounts in Finnish, Swedish, English and Swedish allowing me to see when need arises all Windows menus and dialogs, full content including Windows Help in respective language. This possibility I need for my work.

My 4 work accounts are as I mentioned all local accounts, and each of them tied to the same Outlook.com email address as my main account. This has also an extra security benefit: work accounts being local they are not administrative accounts so they are quite safe to use.

How to tie a local account with your Microsoft email address without converting user profile to Microsoft Account? In a few easy steps, depending on what services you need for your local account.

If you just want to download and install apps from Windows store:
When installing first app from Store after creating a local account, Windows asks which Microsoft email account you would like to connect with Store. You can use any email address, even the one you are already using for another Windows 8 account. Here I have clicked Install on Solitaire in Windows Store. Email is only asked once, thereafter you can download and install as much as you want to:

Screenshot (1).png

You can also use Mail app on a Windows 8 local account for your Microsoft email (Outlook.com, Live.com etc.):
Start Mail app, when started first time on a local account Windows asks which Microsoft email account you would like to connect with Mail app. Again, use any email you want to, even the same already used for a Windows 8 Microsoft account and for store and mail on another local account:

Screenshot (3).png

If you want to play games which use XBox gamer tag, you need to do this, too. Just first time starting the game, thereafter email is remembered.

All extra accounts remain local, not converted to Microsoft accounts but still each and every one is tied to the same email address I use for my main Microsoft account. The main account is administrator account as Microsoft accounts are, four others local non-administrative accounts.

Win8_user_profiles.png

Kari

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hi,
I wonder if I have to have an installation DVD/USB Iso to use this way? I do have Win 8 installed, but I didn't get any recovery disk. If I do have to have this installation disk, how can I generate one? I am owing a legal copy of Win8.

Best regards
Sebastian

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8
Hi Seb, welcome to the Eight Forums.

You must have valid Windows 8 install media when sysprepping.

Your system specs do not tell which make and model your computer is. Normally all new computers have at least an option to burn so called recovery media; in some cases it is enough for sysprep as the recovery media includes the install.wim file needed for this method to run. However, some manufactures create and pack recovery media in a way that is not suitable for sysprep and it will not find install.wim.

You could ask from the store where you bought Windows 8, or your PC manufacturer to provide Windows 8 DVD.

Here's a tutorial to tell you how to obtain Windows 8 ISO image if you have no luck with seller or manufacturer: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-upgrade-iso-download-create.html

Kari

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back