Solved Unpartitioned hard drive; Can I install windows 8?

My comment was a bit loose. I wanted OP to know, in response to his claim that he has an unpartitioned drive (yet showing his used/free space and that be is running Win7 in his system specs), that he actually has one partition and that he had to have a partition to have an installed Win7. Your potshot was pointless because it provided nothing useful to the OP and did not attempt to clarify matters--i.e., why my comment was misleading even though it was true.

Sorry. A bit too much literalism here, mostly on my part.

Apparently Bilkal11 calls a drive with one partition "unpartitioned". Perhaps he or she will confirm that.

Windows must be installed in a formatted partition, which is clearly what you meant by "You can't install on an unpartitioned drive."

Maybe no one else would mistake that for stating that you had to somehow partition the drive before using the Windows installer (which can automatically partition and format the drive, without requiring any user action).

I apologize for dragging this farther away from the original topic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    homebuilt
    CPU
    I7-3930k
    Motherboard
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Gskill DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Zx
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA246Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force GT 120GB
    WD Cavair Black 1.5TB
    PSU
    PC Power & cooling Silencer 750
    Case
    Silverstone FT02B-W
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 w/ PWM fans
    Keyboard
    cheap Logitech USB wired
    Mouse
    old 5 button Microsoft USB optical
    Internet Speed
    6Mb cable
No problem here. I shouldn't have replied to you as I did originally. I should have said what I said some of what I said in my last post or nothing. So, I apologize too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
All right, so does that mean I can install Win 8 in my laptop which has only one partition i.e. C drive with all my 527 Gb (out of 581) data in it and will not lose them all?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You should be able to do an upgrade install probably with either type of disc you may have. If you do, then your compatible programs, settings, and data should be left alone. But, improperly working things from your current install may be carried forward to your new install.

Several of us have recommended a clean install regardless of the kind of disk you have. After doing a clean install, your settings will be factory fresh, your programs will be gone, and your data will be gone (assuming you format--which I recommend). If you do not format, then you should end up with a Windows.old folder containing your data and many other things from your prior install (but, don't count on this folder being present).

No matter what kind of install you do it is imperative that you back your data up on an external source for safety. I recommend that you use an external drive formatted NTSF.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
All right, so does that mean I can install Win 8 in my laptop which has only one partition i.e. C drive with all my 527 Gb (out of 581) data in it and will not lose them all?

It is possible, but if you want to be sure you don't loose any of your data you should back it up first, best to backup to an external hard drive.
It is highly recommended to make a backup of your data before starting any Upgrade and definitely if you do a Custom or Clean install.

All the information you need to review, in order to make an informed decision, is on theog's post #14.
Click on the links to the tutorials and will explain everything in detail.

Most of us recommend a Clean install, but you do have an option of doing an Upgrade install.
How to Upgrade from Windows 7, Vista, or XP to Windows 8
Use Option Two.
This will take a long time due to your data being in the C partition, you may not have enough free space in the C partition to allow an Upgrade to run. You only have 10% free space, which is the minimum for an OS to still function correctly. You may have noticed your system slowing down already.

I recommend to get an external hard drive, at least 1TB, transfer all you personal data.
When you get your C drive down to a reasonable 25-30 GB, then run the installation of your choice.
Then you can keep one partition for your OS and make another partition for your data.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
Back