Unmountable Boot Volume Windows 8 Fix

May as well... looks like HDD failure... check HDD diagnostic from bios as well but you will need a clean install anyway.

Assume you have backup what you could already.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Most of my stuff is backed up from when my laptop had an error 2 months a go and i took it to the shop and the reinstalled windows.

So i should just stop scanning and back up the data i want and do a HDD diagnostic test.

How to i do the HDD diagnostic test and could i download some tool that i can boot from my usb and do the diagnostictest like that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Not sure about specific bootable HDD diagnostic ISO's... but seeing you have Ubuntu see if it will run this from terminal.
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda (...sda being your HDD assignment)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
When i was using ubuntu my Hard Drive was not mounted because it said it was unsafe or unclean drive i tried to force mount but it gave me another error the chkdsk /r /f is still runing i just want to make sure im doing the right thing because the scan has been going on for hours and if i have to re-scan i hope it will not take as long.

Also i think i have tried this i opened the disk utility and selected my HDD and i tried to scan but it came up with an error and i think it said there where bad sectors on the disk but i can remember how many bad sectors it said.

So should i just about the sand a do i diagnostic test on the HDD?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
I think you should give up on that HDD - there's nothing that can save it ...even if it hides those bad clusters others will surface soon with possible lost data as a result.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Well fixing it this way is inefficient - you will have to format and try a re-install - BTW Ubuntu does not need a mounted partition - there should be an option on the main menu under Install Ubuntu - something like "check disc for defects" or something.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
The CHKDSK E: /R /F scan finished but in the end it didn't fix anything i opened AOMEI Partition Assistant and selected my drive and scaned it for bad seotors and it about 1050 bad sectors it took 6 hours to scan and it only at 3% so i abouted it an now im going to do a diagnostic test using Seagate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Your persistence is commendable...
I once tried rescuing a failing drive by using HDD Regenerator.
It repartitions the drive by creating usable partitions between the bad sectors... I ended up with multiple small partitions though.
Good luck, anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
I booted seatool from my usb and when it scaned for the hard drive it said "No Hard Drives Found"

I have no idea what to do know i have tried a lot of thing but i can seem to fix it. I could create small bootable partition but then i won't be able to use as much memory and i don't know where to back up my all stuff it is about 100g or more.

i could format the HDD but i don't fell comfortable doing it because i have never done this before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Geez, that HDD is in a worse state than I thought!

I would get it out of the lappie - insert it into a friends desktop's spare sata connection - backup what you can - then run a lo-level format on it.
Depending on those resullts even run HDD regenerator on it thereafter, before re-installing anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
What is the problem with the hard drive is it the files on it trying to boot into windows or is there something wrong with the HDD?

So for me to fix the problem i should back up all my data and then format the disk using by doing a[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] lo-level-format on the disk and then do a clean install of windows 8 using in installation media that i can boot from my USB. Also will windows be activated when i re-install windows by it reading the OEM Key?[/FONT]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hardware failure, most likey - firmware may cause this as well but unlikely in this instance - follow the steps I advised to get clarity.

Don't worry about activation - to be safe save E:\Windows\System32\config\Software - this is the registry hive that contains your key - worst case scenario we can retrieve the key from from there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max