Solved Unable to Enable BitLocker, Win 8.1 Pro OEM

So I think I figured out my problem. When I performed a clean installed Windows 8.1 Pro OEM onto a laptop that previously had 8.1 core, it simply reinstalled or enabled 8.1 core. I used the Pro OEM media; however, it never prompted for the product ID.

I successfully upgraded to 8.1 Pro via System Info and since my PC is truly a custom build, I will attempt to install the 8.1 Pro OEM on it next week.

I've custom built 100+ PCs earlier in my career; however, this was my first experience with Win 8. I'm noticing that it is very aware of what it is installed on and it seems to treat the different versions as disabled features.

Windows 7 and i'm not sure how far back but Pro has been there all along, just not activate features turned off until you put in your Pro product Key. Once turned on all features are available no need to reinstall again.
I am curious this is a custom build did the Windows 8 come with the motherboard? if not I don't see how your win 8 serial number could be anywhere besides on your hard drive? If that was so then a Diskpart " Clean disk" would have removed it?

Yes there are versions of Win 8.1.1 that are Core only and Pro only also there are ISO's that have both Core and Pro 64 bit on them.
I Clean installed 8.1.1 pro by using the Generic Key for Pro, then activated using my upgrade Win 8 Pro product Number. I did not have to use Add Features for pro to be there. However I did have to use add features to have access to Window Media Center and put in the WMC Key for that. Which now, my activation is actually on the WMC Key.

Yes, the TechNet ISO's are multi edition, Core and Pro. As far as I know the Retail DVD's are the same. I don't think there is a separate OEM and Retail DVD. The one DVD will use both keys. If there is an embedded key in the BIOS it will use it, if not your prompted to enter a key. The key you enter determines what's installed. Also, like you said, if you install Core, the Pro features are there, just disabled. You can unlock them though Add Features by entering a valid key.

There are some other ins and outs to it though. My ASUS laptop came with 8.0 Core. If I use an 8.1 ISO it ignores the embedded 8.0 OEM key and prompts me for one. I can still activate it with the 8.0 OEM key I just can't install with it. That's where the generic install keys come in. I personally don't bother with that extra step as I have MSDN 8.1 Pro keys I can use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I am curious this is a custom build did the Windows 8 come with the motherboard?

It isn't an ASUS motherboard, it's an ASUS Republic of Games laptop.

The OEM product key wouldn't work with the upgrade option in system info, but it did let me upgrade it for $99. I'll use the OEM key that I bought from Amazon on my custom built PC, because it it's using an MSDN version on Windows 8, and I want to use it for a home business.

Well then if you paid for an upgrade to Pro be sure to download the ISO, its the only way to get one legally
Yea I think most Asus G notebooks come with core, unless you get it from a custom dealer and order it with Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro MC
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus G75VW / Z97 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3610QM / I7-4790K
    Motherboard
    Z97 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Hyundai HTM315156CFR8C-PB PC3-12800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (GF114M)
    Sound Card
    VIA 6.0.10.1600
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    Internet Speed
    30 down 3 up
    Browser
    Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    NIS and Malwarebytes
I am curious this is a custom build did the Windows 8 come with the motherboard?

It isn't an ASUS motherboard, it's an ASUS Republic of Games laptop.

The OEM product key wouldn't work with the upgrade option in system info, but it did let me upgrade it for $99. I'll use the OEM key that I bought from Amazon on my custom built PC, because it it's using an MSDN version on Windows 8, and I want to use it for a home business.

Well then if you paid for an upgrade to Pro be sure to download the ISO, its the only way to get one legally
Yea I think most Asus G notebooks come with core, unless you get it from a custom dealer and order it with Pro.

I do believe he already has an 8.1 Pro DVD. Look at post #13. Unless he modifies his install media, its going to install Core by default (on the laptop) anyway, and he'll have to use add features to go to Pro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard