Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows 8: Five points of comparison

Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows 8: Five points of comparison

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
May 7, 2012, 9:28am PDT

Summary: The leading Linux desktop and the number one desktop of all, Windows, are both undergoing radical transformations, but which will be the better for it?

Windows 8 Metro vs. Ubuntu 12.04 Unity

2012 has already seen a major update of what’s arguably the most important Linux desktop: Ubuntu 12.04 and we’re also seeing the most radical update of Windows with Windows 8 Metro coming since Windows 95 replaced Windows 3.1. So, which will end up the better for its change?

see full report

Fair enough

The thing i mean about the 6 months releases is that for example a program that is released after the os release (always happens) can not always be installed on that current os release (packages not compatible): you have to wait for a repository/ppa link and/or build you own binaries or just wait till they release it (maybe) on the next os release in 6 months.

Agreed.
It was only recently that the Ubuntu 10.04 repository started including the latest versions of Firefox.
Until version 9(?), I was manually installing FF updates.

The opposite is also true.
I spent a couple of hours trying to install the latest version of Audacious (in Ubuntu 10.04) only to discover that it was designed for Gnome 3 and therefore couldn't be installed in Ubuntu 10.04 (without lots of additional work).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I have yet to meet anyone that actually uses linux as a primary OS on their system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    Custom Build (What Else Would It Be?)
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX HD-697A-CNDC Radeon HD6970 2GB 256-bit
    Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 25 Inch Hanns-G HZ251
    Screen Resolution
    3840x1080 (1920x1080 x2)
    PSU
    Corsair 850W Single Rail
    Case
    Thermaltake V9 BlacX w/ Dual HDD Docking Station
    Cooling
    Air/Copper
    Keyboard
    Kensington (Low-Profile)
    Mouse
    Creative Fatal1ty
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15Gbit (15 Down 5 Up)
    Other Info
    XIGMATEK HDT-S1284F 120mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler, LG Blu-Ray Burner.
I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 (Gnome Shell) and Win8. Reasons for me.

Ubuntu.
1) Ubuntu worked out of the box and took 20 minutes to fully install, it's fast, safe and small amount of space on HDD used.
2) With Gnome extensions I can customize to the way I work.
3) Endless themes and free software which can be browsed and installed in a click.
4) Many features in Ubuntu are not found in Windows and these I miss when swapping back to Win XP at work or Win8 partition.
5) No antivrus, endless updates or reboots.

Win8.

1) Photoshop.
2) Picassa.
3) My HP Printer software.
2) It's new OS and I enjoy testing.
3) Battery life is very good.

So overall I use Win8 for offline work and Ubuntu for online, however if Adobe and other software worked without Wine I would find little reason for using Windows, just because I put in years of learning Linux and now feel more comfortable with it than Windows.

A distro like ubuntu is small to start with the same way Knoppix for cd used to be years back. As you realize with the 12.04 seen now all these open source numbers of apps have grown as well as the size. For Knoppix as well as some others you would be running a live dvd rather then cd at this time.

The other distro that comes loaded with some 200 apps is the Linux Mint Debian flavor where you won't be seeing a 12.04, 12.10, 13.04 or any other newer version number since it is a one time OS where you simply add and change things that run on it. It's still a bit larger then Knoppix 6.2 however while still being capatible with ubuntu unlike a regular Debian flavor.

This will present a challenge for those who end up rejecting 8 as it seems many are. While 8 is likened to the major changes seen between 3.1, 3.11(business/network orientated) and 95 95 was a progressive change in a positive way while many now have to look at 8 as a leap backwards!

You know where that will take many who will eventually want to move into something newer but not pleased with the changes 8 will carry don't you? A new desktop OS they can live with! Many are looking at the fruit company if not Linux or Open Solaris for that matter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
I have yet to meet anyone that actually uses linux as a primary OS on their system.

My friend has used Linux distros as his only OS (no dual booting) for the last ~12 years.
He settled on Arch Linux ~6 years ago and has used it ever since.

He hates Ubuntu and he gets a bit cranky (at Ubuntu not me) when I need help to make something work properly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
It is a shame.

MS has no competition in the desktop/laptop/notebook market below about $1000.

That is not healthy.

The reason Linux desktop o/s use is insignificant is not to do with the inhereht ability/quality of the o/s.

There are a lot of other reasons for it.

It would be better if Linux desktop o/s did have a significant market share.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The only actual market place you see Linux used in would be server/network applications for businesses. Many will be using the UNIX platform for that. One reference for the commercial side of Linux can be looked over at Linux: List of Commercial Linux Applications

Despite Wine the bulk of softwares are either proprietary for the fruit company or Windows. As you know the fruit company charges far more for their systems then the average store bought complete system running Windows with most laptops and other portables being priced under $1,000 except for the large screen deluxe model series. Some 7 notebook can be found in a Walmart as one example for about $300 as a starting price.

The one thing that now lacks in most retail chains in the last few years however is where is all that software? Even office supply chains have cut back drastically on office as well as other wares. Most programs now are simply purchased online.

For complete desktop systems you used to see several makes back in the late 90s offered as well. With more and more turning to custom building the few found are the cheapie makes unless going to regular factory vendor for HP, Dell, or other. You still see several laptops on display however.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Linux distros crash for the same reasons that Windows versions crash - some code that interacts directly with hardware components (Driver software) is badly behaved and conflicts with other running code. It therefore affects some hardware combinations more often than others.

When the driver/hardware pair is perfectly matched, the systems run stably.

Laptops in particular are subject to OEM driver code which is often cut down from the full chipmakers driver featureset, and also the OEM code is rarely, sometimes never, updated. When combined with a BIOS that is hardly capable of configuration, this can lead to suboptimal operation of the laptop with any OS other than the one it was supplied with. On top of all this, it is mostly impossible to upgrade components like the GPU and CPU, sound and networking components, or to over- or underclock any parts of the system.

So if you want a versatile PC, don't choose a laptop, especially from a large corporate manufacturer who is squeezing the margins and has short product lifecycles. If you want a stable operating system with your laptop, your best bet is to stay with the operating systems recommended for that model.

That said, open source software should be easier to tweak in ways that are difficult or forbidden with proprietary Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Linux distros crash for the same reasons that Windows versions crash - some code that interacts directly with hardware components (Driver software) is badly behaved and conflicts with other running code.

In rare cases, conflict is the cause but almost always, it's just simply poor drivers acting alone that crash a system. In fact, the only conflict I can think of at the moment is sptd.sys and some antivirus software. Even when there is no conflict, sptd.sys can and still does crash machines all by itself - although it has gotten better as of last year or so.

Laptops in particular are subject to OEM driver code which is often cut down from the full chipmakers driver featureset, and also the OEM code is rarely, sometimes never, updated. When combined with a BIOS that is hardly capable of configuration, this can lead to suboptimal operation of the laptop with any OS other than the one it was supplied with.

Not really. As long as Vista drivers or above are available for the hardware, it doesn't really matter where they are from - laptop maker or actual hardware site - any OS can run well on any laptop with equal success. Even XP drivers in most cases work well on Vista and above.

Never have I ever had to tell someone not to use Vista, 7 or 8 because their laptop is not good for it. With the latest drivers available, almost all if not all laptops can run any Windows version the owner wants.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
...The other distro that comes loaded with some 200 apps is the Linux Mint Debian flavor where you won't be seeing a 12.04, 12.10, 13.04 or any other newer version number since it is a one time OS where you simply add and change things that run on it...

Would you mind explaining that comment please

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
...The other distro that comes loaded with some 200 apps is the Linux Mint Debian flavor where you won't be seeing a 12.04, 12.10, 13.04 or any other newer version number since it is a one time OS where you simply add and change things that run on it...

I think Night Hawk means this particular os:
Download - Linux Mint

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Download - Linux Mint

Thanks, I've been using Mint, on and off, for a long time. What I'm interested in is, the implication of no further development and the comment "since it is a one time OS".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox

Download - Linux Mint

You got it right there Hopachi! That's the version of LM that comes with the install options for some 200 apps. If you read through the description you'll see what I was referring to earlier.

3. What is a rolling distribution?

LMDE constantly receives updates. Its ISO images are updated now and then but users do not require to re-install it on their systems.

4. How does LMDE compare to the Ubuntu-based editions?

Pros:

• You don't need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
  • It's faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.
Cons:

• Although it's using Romeo for unstable packages, LMDE continuously changes as it receives updates and new software. Compared to a frozen version of Linux Mint which changes very little once it's publicly released, it's not as stable. Things are likely to break more often but fixes can also come quicker. For this reason, LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
  • Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.

No 12.04 onto 12.10 onto... The drawback for some is that this one is Debian not ubuntu based while still able to read and write on MS partitions making it an option for a larger data recovery stick(4gb root/file system partition on 32gb flash drive).

It's a little larger then the usual Linux Mint release with the VHD for the VM Player coming in a 6gb when backed. While not compatible with ubuntu they make up for that by having the 200 apps installers included rather then searching around for each separate item. This was released in Sept. 2010. I attached an image of one of the basic desktop themes it comes with not much different then any other LM release.

Attachments

• Linux Mint Debian Desktop.jpg
    Linux Mint Debian Desktop.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,075

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Doh! I was having a blonde moment :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
Now you see why I ended up hating to deal with ubuntu when every 6 months a new number was out after just getting one on and all set! This one however was the one time release still available with automatic updates as well as the users allowed to update and customize as he/she goes along.

The advantage of ubuntu or Puppy Linux over Mint or Mint Debian is in size mainly for the recovery sticks(usb flash drives with custom install of distro on 2nd root partition, first NTFS). Mint as well as other distros including the live Knoppix have all grown in size over time while ubuntu is still small enough to run live off cd. This is one reason why it became a popular distro.

The alternative and larger OS still of course would be Windows. With all the security holes in XP with IE 6 there being plagued with just that people turned to the open source community for not only browsers but another OS free of malwares just like they thought FF would be the browser of choice.

In contrast MS smartened up starting with Vista about seeing improvements in security as well as stability including the need for actually supporting the OS for a change not wait forever. The next two as the next to come versions of Windows have all had mixed views about them. Many dumped 7 to go back to Vista! Others dumped both Vista and 7 to fall back on XP while others that want to move up from XP didn't like the other two and are now apt to look at what 8 brings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Back