Tough Times for Win 8 and MS

On top of fines and taxes, Microsoft got bad news on Windows RT, Windows 8, and Office 2013

...Demand for Windows 8 is also failing to meet expectations...

Microsoft...is looking like "a tired technology corporation scrambling to protect its cash cows on the legacy PC desktop and failing to gain traction in the new markets of note...

Microsoft vs. the world: The punches keep coming | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld

Let's hope they get it right with Blue and it turns around for them.

As far as tiles go, get rid of the whole lot, I really think it's time to accept it for now and just wait, no amount of bashing can make things move any faster. I was reading a story about Photoshop some time ago, if they wanted to rewrite that it would take 10 years, so imagine the amount of work in Windows.

I laughed.

No, it wouldn't.

In fact, they've allready made a Photoshop App for iOS and Android with a subset of its capability, so a fair amount of it has allready been rewritten.

Figure if they were starting from scratch using what they know from the original Photoshop.. probably a year.. two at the most to rewrite. Also factor in that a lot of the stuff of Photoshop can be done with completely seperate teams because a lot of the tools contained therein are not dependent on each other(filters normally take an image in, do something to it, and put an image out).
Well you'd better tell that to the originator of Photoshop, he's the one who said it would take 10 years, he even said it might never even get finished because there's too many layers.
These aren't my words they're his words.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
You might be scared, Bill.

I am looking forward to the next version of windows.
What am I scared of I'm using it on 4 computers, I've been using computers since the mid eighties so I hardly think a minor change like Windows 8 is going to bother me, it might however bother someone who's only been using them for 5 years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
As far as tiles go, get rid of the whole lot, I really think it's time to accept it for now and just wait, no amount of bashing can make things move any faster. I was reading a story about Photoshop some time ago, if they wanted to rewrite that it would take 10 years, so imagine the amount of work in Windows.

I laughed.

No, it wouldn't.

In fact, they've allready made a Photoshop App for iOS and Android with a subset of its capability. Figure if they were starting from scratch using what they know from the original Photoshop.. probably a year.. two at the most to rewrite.

It's pretty well known by now that when Bill reads anything, the first thing he does is misinterprets what's been written and then creates a story and history to go with that misinterpretation.

Just because you make stuff up on the fly doesn't mean everyone does, I just use plain old facts.
. For a long time, I've wondered why Adobe doesn’t just rewrite Photoshop. Even without knowledge of the deep inner workings of the app, it just feels old. Adobe keeps adding more functionality, even some performance tweaks like GPU acceleration, but the whole thing often feels one feature short of collapse. New versions have consistently pushed the capabilities of modern computers and operating systems, so they always feel a bit slower than younger, more refined apps. Maybe a fresh start would make Photoshop feel a little less 1990 and a little more 2013?

Well, it's not going to happen.

"It would never be the same if you started over today," says Bryan O'Neil Hughes, a senior product manager. "Like a city, it takes on its own personality." He cribbed the analogy from me, but I cribbed it from another developer.

An all-new Photoshop wouldn't be... Photoshop.

"If you wanted to do everything Photoshop does, you'd have to do it in the same way Photoshop does," explains Thomas. And a rewrite would likely take a decade, and, thanks to the error-prone nature of building complex software, it might never be completed.

My Computer

System One

• OS

What am I scared of I'm using it on 4 computers, I've been using computers since the mid eighties so I hardly think a minor change like Windows 8 is going to bother me, it might however bother someone who's only been using them for 5 years.

So BillWindows implies that those who don't like Windows 8 have only been using computers for 5 years, despite the fact that many of those who criticise Windows 8 have been using computers for far longer than that.

I learned FORTRAN in the early 70s, when you used a lead pencil to mark the cards, required an over-night run to process and around 100 cards to get a simple printout of a parabolic curve.

Is this another example of not being able to interpret what members of this forum have written?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

I laughed.

No, it wouldn't.

In fact, they've allready made a Photoshop App for iOS and Android with a subset of its capability, so a fair amount of it has allready been rewritten.

Figure if they were starting from scratch using what they know from the original Photoshop.. probably a year.. two at the most to rewrite. Also factor in that a lot of the stuff of Photoshop can be done with completely seperate teams because a lot of the tools contained therein are not dependent on each other(filters normally take an image in, do something to it, and put an image out).
Well you'd better tell that to the originator of Photoshop, he's the one who said it would take 10 years, he even said it might never even get finished because there's too many layers.

*shrug*. He's exaggerating, outright lying, or both. Its simply functionality and algorithms... which... if they didn't formalize the imaging algorithms originally and simply hardcoded them... i'm sure they've formalized them long before now. The only question is whether they have the available capital to sanction a rewrite, and if it would be profitable for them to even bother(almost certainly not, which is more the real reason).

Things usually get rewritten when they absolutely must be rewritten, and not before. Until then, you simply look to add functionality that will add value to the product.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
I laughed.

No, it wouldn't.

*shrug*. He's exaggerating, outright lying, or both. Its simply functionality and algorithms... which... if they didn't formalize the imaging algorithms originally and simply hardcoded them... i'm sure they've formalized them long before now. The only question is whether they have the available capital to sanction a rewrite, and if it would be profitable for them to even bother(almost certainly not, which is more the real reason).

Things usually get rewritten when they absolutely must be rewritten, and not before. Until then, you simply look to add functionality that will add value to the product.

Well said. I was going to take the easy route - Apples and Oranges :) ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Intel x58
    Memory
    6 x 2GB Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4890 CF
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 150GB Velociraptors (RAID 0 ) - OS
    1 x 1TB Seagate (Backup)
    1 x 1.5TB Seagate - Storage
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa/n52te
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    Too damn slow :-(
I have only been using them for 5 years.

I don't like windows 8.

Plenty of people have been using them for decades- and don't like windows 8.

8's lack of appeal is widespread.

If Bill likes it - then everybody else must - or there is something wrong with them he fantasizes.

There are a range of disorders which share that symptom.

So BillWindows implies that those who don't like Windows 8 have only been using computers for 5 years, despite the fact that many of those who criticise Windows 8 have been using computers for far longer than that.

I learned FORTRAN in the early 70s, when you used a lead pencil to mark the cards, required an over-night run to process and around 100 cards to get a simple printout of a parabolic curve.

Is this another example of not being able to interpret what members of this forum have written?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

What on earth are you on, I might have to get some, the person I was talking to knows who I'm talking about. I might have to start writing with a lead pencil so you can comprehend things a little easier.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have only been using them for 5 years.

I don't like windows 8.

Plenty of people have been using them for decades- and don't like windows 8.

8's lack of appeal is widespread.

If Bill likes it - then everybody else must - or there is something wrong with them he fantasizes.

There are a range of disorders which share that symptom.

You three Amigos tell people what to like and not like, I don't, on numerous occasions I've said if you don't like it go back to 7. You three are on some kind of mission to see Windows 8 fail.

Your wingman is on a mission to see everything fail, hence he spends everyday looking for negative stories to bash Microsoft, what a pathetic way to spend your time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
What on earth are you on, I might have to get some, the person I was talking to knows who I'm talking about. I might have to start writing with a lead pencil so you can comprehend things a little easier.

Well may you ask, which I think you should do more often. If you are referring to someone specifically, use their name, not an offhandish 'someone', which can mean anyone. It's not that difficult, or maybe it is.

Also, I don't think writing with a pencil on your iPad is going to get your message across any more than the finger painting on a screen that you think substitutes for coherent debate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
You three Amigos tell people what to like and not like, I don't, on numerous occasions I've said if you don't like it go back to 7. You three are on some kind of mission to see Windows 8 fail.

In that first sentence you contradict yourself and I don't think that you even realise it, but that's to be expected.

Your wingman is on a mission to see everything fail, hence he spends everyday looking for negative stories to bash Microsoft, what a pathetic way to spend your time.

Then you accuse others of doing what you effectively do yourself, but from the other side of the coin. Another case of Pot/Kettle, which you don't realise.

My Computer

System One

• OS

In that first sentence you contradict yourself and I don't think that you even realise it, but that's to be expected.

Then you accuse others of doing what you effectively do yourself, but from the other side of the coin. Another case of Pot/Kettle, which you don't realise.
Actually what I have come to realise is that I'm talking to a brick wall, like I said you guys are on a mission like a woman scorned. Even if Microsoft were to bring back whatever it is you all want back I think it's too late, you're like a needle stuck in a groove. I'm just going to try to ignore you as much as I can in future and let you get on with your tirade against Microsoft. I must admit over the years I've never seen anything like you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Actually what I have come to realise is that I'm talking to a brick wall, like I said you guys are on a mission like a woman scorned. Even if Microsoft were to bring back whatever it is you all want back I think it's too late, you're like a needle stuck in a groove. I'm just going to try to ignore you as much as I can in future and let you get on with your tirade against Microsoft. I must admit over the years I've never seen anything like you.

Retain that thought. Apparently you've finally met someone who doesn't swallow your crap. Let's see if you can hold to your promise of ignoring me, but I see that you've qualified that with 'as much as I can', which means not at all. Does that mean you used to be indecisive, but now you're not so sure?

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back