To Microsoft: 8.1 ISO wanted no account via the store

just say the word ,when they come out , and im sure you will find one ,hint, hint,lol

Don't know what the future holds but this is the sort of thing that promotes piracy.

And no, I don't condone or support piracy, and have said so many times. I'm just pointing out that if there isn't general access to ISO's, people will be doing whatever they can to get one. And this place will be lit up with "illegal" posts asking for such files.

Bottom line is I see no reason to not offer an ISO. But... as I said, we don't know what the future is. Hopefully it includes ISO's.

reread it ,not one serious work in my post !

???? confused :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
Tablet OS?

The other issue - Which is WAY more important than the legal or Ill aspects of any ISO images, is that in order for me to repair an OS I MUST HAVE the IOS image of that exact version of Windows.

MS not giving us what we need? Then we'll obtain it some other way, until they change this idiocy it will keep getting worse.

Maybe it is a further indication that W8.1 is actually a tablet OS.

Perhaps you're not supposed to repair machines with W8.1 on them.
When they fail, you simply throw them away and buy a new one. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Not sure what's M$' beef with making ISO's available really.. was DigitalRiver that bad?

An M$ forum's Mod's response:
as long as you own a genuine license, which you probably should have already, then you are free to download it. The way I see it, the license takes precedence over the medium. If you bought Windows 7 retail, then it will already be accompanied with install media, if you bought it from the Microsoft Store for instance, you have the option of downloading it anytime you want or have discs shipped to you or if its a box license,

... the problem is will we have the ISO hashes available to be sure those leaked one's floating around are genuine?...this is a totally unnecessary irritation I must agree.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Don't know what the future holds but this is the sort of thing that promotes piracy.

And no, I don't condone or support piracy, and have said so many times. I'm just pointing out that if there isn't general access to ISO's, people will be doing whatever they can to get one. And this place will be lit up with "illegal" posts asking for such files.

Bottom line is I see no reason to not offer an ISO. But... as I said, we don't know what the future is. Hopefully it includes ISO's.

reread it ,not one serious work in my post !

???? confused :confused:

then ill say nothing more ,we don't need everyone confuse ,lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Seems like an ISO will be available to Technet/MSDN on 18th October...

While our partners are preparing these exciting new devices we will continue to work closely with them as we put the finishing touches on Windows 8.1 to ensure a quality experience at general availability on October 18th. This is the date when Windows 8.1 will be broadly available for commercial customers with or without volume licensing agreements, our broad partner ecosystem, subscribers to MSDN and TechNet, as well as consumers.

Source

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Not sure what's M$' beef with making ISO's available really.. was DigitalRiver that bad?

An M$ forum's Mod's response:
as long as you own a genuine license, which you probably should have already, then you are free to download it. The way I see it, the license takes precedence over the medium. If you bought Windows 7 retail, then it will already be accompanied with install media, if you bought it from the Microsoft Store for instance, you have the option of downloading it anytime you want or have discs shipped to you or if its a box license,

... the problem is will we have the ISO hashes available to be sure those leaked one's floating around are genuine?...this is a totally unnecessary irritation I must agree.

You can view the hash codes on TechNet and MSDN without having a subscription. You won't get prompted for your login ID until you click a download button. at least that's the way it was. Once 8.1 ISO's show up on TechNet or MSDN the hash codes will show up in the wild and ISO's will start showing up on bit torrent etc. The trick then becomes finding the ones with no "bonus extra's" added. ;)

A fair number of people don't want pirated versions, they just want the install media the OEM wouldn't include with their PC. That and they don't want the recovery media loaded with bloat ware. Most OEM's aren't in a big hurry to let you skip the bloat ware so often times you won't get what you want from them. Even when you can there is often a fee attached. It's no surprise then when people start looking online for ISO's. Being able to get the real deal somewhere would be a good deal for a lot of people. The ISO's are going to get out there anyway so I don't see the logic in Microsoft being stingy with them.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Seems like an ISO will be available to Technet/MSDN on 18th October...

While our partners are preparing these exciting new devices we will continue to work closely with them as we put the finishing touches on Windows 8.1 to ensure a quality experience at general availability on October 18th. This is the date when Windows 8.1 will be broadly available for commercial customers with or without volume licensing agreements, our broad partner ecosystem, subscribers to MSDN and TechNet, as well as consumers.

Source

I didn't see the word ISO mentioned any where, but that doesn't mean it won't be available on TechNet/MSDN. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. As far as the "as well as consumers" part goes, its anybody's guess what they get? They could offer up an executable (from windows 8) upgrade only version at first. There is so much speculation now that its hard to tell what's fact and what's fiction. Microsoft being so vague doesn't help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
I didn't see the word ISO mentioned any where, but that doesn't mean it won't be available on TechNet/MSDN. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. As far as the "as well as consumers" part goes, its anybody's guess what they get? They could offer up an executable (from windows 8) upgrade only version at first. There is so much speculation now that its hard to tell what's fact and what's fiction. Microsoft being so vague doesn't help.

Yes, I'm assuming an ISO.. like in the past...the rest of consumers will probably have to go through the store.

BTW checked a leaked Enterprise 9600 build... all Retail and OEM keys from windows 8 are accepted by that versions' pkeyconfig.xrm-ms - thus again I assume 'old' keys should be good on new installations of 8.1.;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
A fair number of people don't want pirated versions, they just want the install media the OEM wouldn't include with their PC. That and they don't want the recovery media loaded with bloat ware. Most OEM's aren't in a big hurry to let you skip the bloat ware so often times you won't get what you want from them. Even when you can there is often a fee attached. It's no surprise then when people start looking online for ISO's. Being able to get the real deal somewhere would be a good deal for a lot of people. The ISO's are going to get out there anyway so I don't see the logic in Microsoft being stingy with them.

There is so much speculation now that its hard to tell what's fact and what's fiction. Microsoft being so vague doesn't help.

Exactly :thumb:

+1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v

CACK! That's pure CACK!

The MEDIUM is always the MOST IMPORTANT THING. Licences can be used then lost then re-bought, MEDIUM is ALWAYS needed, not to mention is required for certain kinds of errors.

Where was that idiotic post from anyway, I wanna go ram my foot up that guys A-Hole!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.

What you need to remember is that when these people, perfectly WILLING to pay for a new key AND Disk, get thwarted by stoopid policies of MS and OEM, they go out and find Pirated versions, just out of frustration.

Some of them get lucky and find "unmodified" isos, you gotta know what to look for and avoid with the modified ones. Usually, the torrent will say UNMODIFIED and in the places I've seen, it was true. Some however, SAY Unmodified but are modified.

Actually, Torrents was a source of OEM Install disks for me for a while. There used to be a site that was specifically OEM install and recovery disks - It's gone though. I still have those disks I found and use them for repairs for OEM machines. I was able to install XP Pro into a Toshiba Satellite that had no XP drivers- Someone had gathered up the Drivers for a Satellite A15 for XP and made a disk of it. I'll have to look for the place, maybe it moved. Most of these places are still there but they are not on WWW, they can be found in the Hidden Wiki.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.

Yes, I'm assuming an ISO.. like in the past...the rest of consumers will probably have to go through the store.

BTW checked a leaked Enterprise 9600 build... all Retail and OEM keys from windows 8 are accepted by that versions' pkeyconfig.xrm-ms - thus again I assume 'old' keys should be good on new installations of 8.1.;)

It would be nice if 8.1 read and used the embedded codes on my two laptops. Well, not just my two laptops, anybody's PC. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

@XweAponX..
LMAO - that guy get kicked in the a$$ by the M$ fan-boys as well - so ya, CACK-a$$ on CRACK LOL!...

@alpha..
Yes, I'm sure it will.. tested the OEM : DM keys and they evaluated as valid (which is good as other keys (RC, GVLK) did not even get that far...) - so ya, hoping to get hold of a core/pro copy to test how SPP handles them...will keep you posted. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
Most know that upgrades are a PITA. I gave up on them years ago. Bottom line for me is that I bought the license and disk for Windows 8 Pro 64 System Builder 64 bit. (I also obtained a copy of Office 2013 Pro recently.) I expect a disk, either ISO download or via mail, for the 8.1 upgrade. The way I understand it is that MS will stop support for 8 after 2 years?!! I didn't put out this money (and installation/maintenance time) for a two-year OS?!! That's ludicrous!

I want a disk > period! I am also willing to put out a few bucks for it (within reason). I have an MS account. I shouldn't have to put out more money to join something else to get one. I'm not an IT Pro nor a large company that finds it economically feasible to join. I will cry bloody murder with MS DAILY if that's what it takes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I did the update to the preview though the store and had issues. Even though it was just the preview release I am in no hurry to go that route again. It's not something I would normally do anyway, I normally avoid upgrade installs like the plague. Lets just say curiosity got the better of me this time around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
The way I understand it is that MS will stop support for 8 after 2 years?!! I didn't put out this money (and installation/maintenance time) for a two-year OS?!! That's ludicrous!
according to MS, windows 8 will be supported longer than 2 years to 2023.
Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows Help
For that purpose, they're treating 8.1 as a mandatory service pack to 8, so you will have to upgrade within 2 years of 8.1 becoming available.

It's mentioned in this Microsoft blog post here (despite the title, it's not just applicable to the Enterprise version, I think):
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview Now Available
Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under Windows 8 lifecycle. With the availability of Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview, it is time to start planning your deployment - and there are deployment tools and guidance available to help make these updates seamless for customers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
The only thing I see worth complaining about at this point is the fact TechNet and MSDN have to wait until October 18th to get the final code. That shifts our time frame back a few months, in terms of testing. Now we won't get a head start, and will have to play catch up, while many of the people we support will be buying new systems with 8.1 already installed.

Arguing about anything else, at this point, is a waste of time, as very little is known to be factual. If there isn't a way to download an 8.1 inclusive .iso, then you can always make system images. Granted, it won't be as ideal, but it still will be an option.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H
    Memory
    16 GB Patriot Viper 3 DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 470 GTX
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 256 GB, WD WD20EFRX 2 TB
    PSU
    OCZ 700W
    Case
    Corsair 300R
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
The only thing I see worth complaining about at this point is the fact TechNet and MSDN have to wait until October 18th to get the final code. That shifts our time frame back a few months, in terms of testing. Now we won't get a head start, and will have to play catch up, while many of the people we support will be buying new systems with 8.1 already installed.
Yes I don't envy the developers and other tech folk who are hit by this.
If there isn't a way to download an 8.1 inclusive .iso, then you can always make system images. Granted, it won't be as ideal, but it still will be an option.
I'm still going to try what I suggested here.
http://www.eightforums.com/installa...are-win-8-oem-pcs-8-1-preview-workaround.html

If there is indeed a way to get from 8.1 Preview to 8.1, but it won't let you keep software/apps, then my assumption is that to get from Preview to RTM will involve a fairly thorough rebuild of the OS... so on top of a clean install of 8.1 Preview ISO, my hope is that it will be a reasonably clean result.

So I'm making sure I keep copies of the 8.1 Preview ISOs, so I can give it a go when 8.1 is released (at which point the Preview ISOs will presumably disappear, so I'm getting them now!).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Back