"This is the future!"

No disrespect intended, but, I just watched all 4 videos on this thread. Wow... pure science fiction. And life styles of the rich and the rich. If civilization survives, (that's if) I doubt that level of advance would exist in 50 years. And if so, only in very tiny elite wealthy cultures. I mean, really, most of the planet has 3rd world status, and to think that humanity will rise to that level is not realistic. All those toys cost money. One does not need a $10,000 monitor to check the news and weather. Or a classroom that costs millions of dollars. In the 1950's and 60's we were expected to have highly advanced space travel capabilities by the year 2001. We can't even build a human transport pod to get to the moon today. Who can afford all this unnecessary tech? Our culture is devolving into the demolition man model (the movie). What about the 3rd world? Billions. They do not need touch devices. They need food and water and a job. Are we talking star wars tech here. Interplanetary space travel, time warp and wormholes? Star trek supposedly evolved the entire planetary culture such that everything was the same, no distinction between races, cultures or countries. And they apparently did away with money. So now we are talking 300 to 500 years into the future.
The future? The future for whom? The wealthy and healthy.

It's always been the case that a civilization is defined by how the upper 10 percent is doing. Why would we expect any change now? For every person that lives like in the video, there are a million that are starving and toil day and night to produce the goods that that one person uses.

Keep that in mind when you watch those videos.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
mdmd & goodintentions,

Good posts.

If the population keeps growing at this rate - we may have a very different future.

No disrespect intended, but, I just watched all 4 videos on this thread. Wow... pure science fiction. And life styles of the rich and the rich. If civilization survives, (that's if) I doubt that level of advance would exist in 50 years. And if so, only in very tiny elite wealthy cultures. I mean, really, most of the planet has 3rd world status, and to think that humanity will rise to that level is not realistic. All those toys cost money. One does not need a $10,000 monitor to check the news and weather. Or a classroom that costs millions of dollars. In the 1950's and 60's we were expected to have highly advanced space travel capabilities by the year 2001. We can't even build a human transport pod to get to the moon today. Who can afford all this unnecessary tech? Our culture is devolving into the demolition man model (the movie). What about the 3rd world? Billions. They do not need touch devices. They need food and water and a job. Are we talking star wars tech here. Interplanetary space travel, time warp and wormholes? Star trek supposedly evolved the entire planetary culture such that everything was the same, no distinction between races, cultures or countries. And they apparently did away with money. So now we are talking 300 to 500 years into the future.

It's always been the case that a civilization is defined by how the upper 10 percent is doing. Why would we expect any change now? For every person that lives like in the video, there are a million that are starving and toil day and night to produce the goods that that one person uses.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
mdmd & goodintentions,

Good posts.

If the population keeps growing at this rate - we may have a very different future.

Technology is not for everyone. In the past and even at present, only the privileged few enjoys the latest technology. So, I don't see why you have to bring up the poverty issue in the future of technology. Nothing else will change. The poor will be poorer, the rich will be richer. The video is not addressing poverty. It's addressing the future of technology which for me is so dreamy at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
Well said. :thumb:

Agree. As an old Hippie type I could write a thesis on what you just posted. :thumbup: I changed my avatar instead. I'm sure you get the gist.

To keep it short, an ideological song authored by a man who ironically died a violent death like so many of his kind. He was certainly not the first to bring it to our attention looking through history. There were many more both male and female. Yes, when we do away with ALL OF OUR prejudices then we'll get somewhere as a species IMHO. If there's one character defect I dislike within myself it's most certainly that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUGSYDKUxU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hahaha... you guys. Let the guy dream. It doesn't cost anything. :)

Yes, you're right. It doesn't cost anything and quite honestly the ideology may never come true. Reality says that it will always be an imperfect world, but someone needs to set up targets to aim at. No harm in that either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Just to make it clear, I speak from both perspectives (bottom dweller and upper). You know those coctail shrimps that people like to eat at parties? Ever wonder how or who made them that way (shell removed)? When I was little, I used to remove the shells off those shrimps for them to be exported to the west. Yeah, so the next time you eat those coctail shrimps, keep in mind that some poor 6 year olds bleeding fingers removed those shells for you.

What I'd really like to see are videos of the same future about the bottom dwellers. I want to see how the lower half do if the upper are doing that well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Just to make it clear, I speak from both perspectives (bottom dweller and upper). You know those coctail shrimps that people like to eat at parties? Ever wonder how or who made them that way (shell removed)? When I was little, I used to remove the shells off those shrimps for them to be exported to the west. Yeah, so the next time you eat those coctail shrimps, keep in mind that some poor 6 year olds bleeding fingers removed those shells for you.

What I'd really like to see are videos of the same future about the bottom dwellers. I want to see how the lower half do if the upper are doing that well.

You have to let go of your perspectives sometimes. The video talks about Coke's favorite stuff.... touchscreens. You know the bottom dweller can't afford them. That's why they are not shown in the video. On the other thread you keep saying people there are talking past each other. Now, it's you doing it. This is not about rich & poor. This is about present & future technology. If you want I'll look up some video about shrimps for you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Agree. As an old Hippie type I could write a thesis on what you just posted. :thumbup: I changed my avatar instead. I'm sure you get the gist.

To keep it short, an ideological song authored by a man who ironically died a violent death like so many of his kind. He was certainly not the first to bring it to our attention looking through history. There were many more both male and female. Yes, when we do away with ALL OF OUR prejudices then we'll get somewhere as a species IMHO. If there's one character defect I dislike within myself it's most certainly that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUGSYDKUxU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yes, you're right. It doesn't cost anything and quite honestly the ideology may never come true. Reality says that it will always be an imperfect world, but someone needs to set up targets to aim at. No harm in that either.

I am with you sir. Well said.:thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

You have to let go of your perspectives sometimes. The video talks about Coke's favorite stuff.... touchscreens. You know the bottom dweller can't afford them. That's why they are not shown in the video. On the other thread you keep saying people there are talking past each other. Now, it's you doing it. This is not about rich & poor. This is about present & future technology. If you want I'll look up some video about shrimps for you.

To quote Austin Powers, "ouch, baby."

But seriously, I was half joking when I said that. I actually love those videos. I'm all for touch surfaces. In fact, I have a plan to put in some security stuff in my place controlled by touch devices. Sort of like star trek. My boyfriend is opposed to it, though. He doesn't want to be on camera all the time LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

But seriously, I was half joking when I said that. I actually love those videos. I'm all for touch surfaces. In fact, I have a plan to put in some security stuff in my place controlled by touch devices. Sort of like star trek. My boyfriend is opposed to it, though. He doesn't want to be on camera all the time LOL.

Wew! I thought you two might get into it there for a minute. It got, well, sorta' honest and tense!

I love happy endings! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

I am with you sir. Well said.:thumb:

Alright guys, dream further, I got nothing against it.

And may some of it come true... :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Wew! I thought you two might get into it there for a minute. It got, well, sorta' honest and tense!

I love happy endings! :)

hahaha... I was actually laughing out loud myself when I ended up my piece with "shrimp videos"... hahaha...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

I know what you mean, although future economic systems are a different topic all together. What you're talking about is something more along the lines of the Zeitgeist Movies or The Venus Project (which are also on YouTube).

In The Venus Project Jacque Fresco talks about a resource-based economy with intelligent management of earth's resources. Some of Jacque Fresco's idea's are a bit Utopian, but he does make a lot of valid points and it's clear that the current economic system is not working (and if you look back in history, has never really worked). However, even if some of Jacque Fresco's ideas are a bit 'way out there' at the moment, one thing it does is spurs a lot of debate on whether a better alternative system could be developed. And if so, how it could be transitioned, such as what would happen if every single person on the planet was paid an identical hourly rate (with capped maximum hours), inflation was eliminated and money lending for profit was abolished.

One of his observations was that during the 1929 Great Depression, the Earth was still the same place. The buildings were still there, the land was still there, the resources were still there and the people were still there. The only thing causing the problem was money.

So in essence, we need to move away from the current economic system and move towards a system that encourages the whole planet to work WITH each other, instead of working against each other in the name of profit. Essentially, turn the pyramid into a cube, and eventually a sphere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64-bit
Nice idea, would put an end to wars.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

This makes me think about Star Trek, specifically The Next Generation. The one contraption that they had was the Replicator where it basically takes energy and converts it into matter much like the Holodeck. Now THAT, would really end hunger in the third world.

But this kind of technology isn't something of Star Trekian material, it's just a glimpse of possible advancements in technology. As time continues and devices turn over, future devices will get used and the videos show off what is possible. Technology that bridges human divides.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Touchscreens, motion gesturing, and speech commands are some of my most favorite things!

The bottom dweller 20 years ago had no need or no money to buy a PC. But today, that isn't so much the case anymore when a tablet computing device can be bought for under 200 dollars. Technologies that are new are expensive at first, but then manufacturing becomes more efficient, and more stock of such is out there to saturate the market and make it more cost effective. A touchscreen today can cost 4-600 dollars as a separate monitor. A touchscreen monitor five years from now might cost 300 dollars. VERY same thing with the CRT to LCD screen transition....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Talking about the future and sci fi again, I think in Star Trek TNG there was a reference in a particular episode where they came across a space vessel from a couple of centuries ago that was the very first one to habit a different planet. Captain Picard was talking about how this happened after World War Three.... So basically, we as a global society have to be brought down into the ashes before we can rise up again better and stronger. At least that's what I got out of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I grew up in a family of twelve children. There were about six big families in town ranging from 10 to 14. This was not unpopular a few generations ago, especially on farms. Our families didn't have much, but certainly more than some in the world as some have honestly shared here.

My parents were of the Great Depression and WWII generation, which most were very hard working and frugal. Most moms worked hard at home running the household like clockwork cooking, cleaning, taking care of children, and a whole lot more. Dads were out working hard at careers bringing home the income. Looking back, I'm grateful for what we had. :)

We were taught "Waste not - Want not". There were "hand-me-downs on clothes and toys. We had to literally eat everything on our plate or sit there until we did, so we dared not take too much. We could always take more, but not too much. We also had a "left-overs" dinner on Thursday. Sometimes the dog and cat would get the remainder, which wasn't much. Absolutely nothing got wasted.

Along the lines of the "for profit systems" that ARC1020 mentioned, is the great problem of food distribution for profit, which I think culminates yet a bigger problem of food waste. I think this to be our biggest problem, for a dying and/or undernourished Human Being cannot be productive due to their state of condition. Death and disease run rampant.

One article: Food waste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many more: food waste - Bing

I agree we need a better worldwide economic system to overcome our problems, but what? This gets to be quite complex. Would we not have to create a one-world government to create a one-world economic system? So far pure Communism with classless, moneyless, and stateless social order I think is the closest system devised to meet the definition of this. Yes? But the problem that remains there is material distribution. Everyone would have to receive equal share, which in reality doesn't happen.

LOL! I think we may have opened Pandora's Box here!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling