The new IE10, favorites, and two different experiences

Without the ability to make Favorites into a sidebar, Chrome will never be my main browser. It's been Firefox for me since 2010 or so, when I finally ventured out from IE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth x58
    Memory
    12 gigabytes
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GTS 450
    Monitor(s) Displays
    65" Samsung
    Hard Drives
    120GB SSD - OS / EXTERNAL 1TB USB - Data
    PSU
    Ultra X4 Modular 750-Watt
    Case
    Raidmax SMILODON
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler System
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Arc Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless Touchpad T650
    Other Info
    Kinect for Windows
People are acting like MS will end all support of previous OS's the day Win 8 hits the shelf. They still support XP after 10+ years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Asus UX31A
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3517
    Motherboard
    N/A
    Memory
    4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
That link says it's a sidebar like in Firefox? What is that? I've never seen any favorites/bookmarks sidebar in Firefox. I have the Bookmarks toolbar at the top, below the address bar, which I use * ALL * THE * TIME * for my frequently visited sites.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP
    Home built
That link says it's a sidebar like in Firefox? What is that? I've never seen any favorites/bookmarks sidebar in Firefox. I have the Bookmarks toolbar at the top, below the address bar, which I use * ALL * THE * TIME * for my frequently visited sites.

View->Sidebar->Bookmarks. It's a built-in feature of Firefox. There is also a toolbar button you can add, plus a History button. I always add them both, side by side.

I use the bookmarks toolbar, too, but I have way more bookmarks than can fit there, and I use many of them regularly, which is why the sidebar is an absolute requirement for my primary browser.

My Computer

System One

• OS
oh... meh, I've always had the Menu bar turned off in Win7 for the last few versions of FF so I never even saw the Sidebar option in the View menu. Plus I like to just hit the Bookmarks button and pull it down to go to a bookmark if I need to, and have my most viewed sites on top. I'd rather not have a sidebar taking up space all the time.

My home XP machine has the menu bar showing, but even there I still just hit Bookmarks to pull down the menu and go where I want to go. Since my most-visited sites are in the Bookmarks toolbar (one of my favorite FF features), I really don't use the Bookmarks menu all that much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP
    Home built
I always run Firefox maximized, and the sidebar makes good use of the space on my 1680x1050 monitor. In fact, I wouldn't run a browser maximized without having something like the sidebar taking up ~ 25% of the horizontal space on a widescreen monitor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I installed Chrome a little while ago and it is significantly slower then IE10 or Waterfox.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Asus UX31A
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3517
    Motherboard
    N/A
    Memory
    4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
I always run Firefox maximized, and the sidebar makes good use of the space on my 1680x1050 monitor. In fact, I wouldn't run a browser maximized without having something like the sidebar taking up ~ 25% of the horizontal space on a widescreen monitor.

I used to run FF a little smaller than my 1680x1050 screen at home, to keep some of my desktop icons visible all the time, but then whenever my wife would use it she would always maximize it, as if it would make web content larger or something :rolleyes:

At work I run FF full height of the 1920x1080 display (minus task bar), but about 75% of the width so that the desktop gadgets, Winamp, and a few icons are always visible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP
    Home built
I usually adjust the width of my browser according to Facebook, as it is the widest among the websites I frequently visit. All others can fit just fine, and I'm left with a good portion of the screen to work with files I temporarily keep on my desktop. Also, the height of the browser is just enough for Windows not to confuse me wanting to maximise the window by dragging it around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Intel B960 Sandy Bridge (2.2GHz, 2MB L3 cache)
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce GT630M with 1GB dedicated VRAM + Intel HD
    Sound Card
    Integrated audio with 2xHigh Definition Dolby® v4 speakers
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" HD LED Acer CineCrystal™ (high-brightness 200-nit)
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Acer FineTip & MultiTouch Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
I know in Win7 and probably 8, if you drag the top edge of a window up to the top of the screen, it will maximize height, but not width. Doesn't work for width, though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP
    Home built
?
It maximizes the windows completely for me if I drag it to the top. Only when I drag it to the sides (snap it) it maximizes the height while adjusting the width of the window to the half of the width of your whole screen. That's how it works.

Going back to the point of IE10 [DEL]Metro[/DEL]: the only time I use it is when I play a text-based RPG which is full of info, and on the desktop I usually just maximize the window. In [del]Metro[/del] I get a little more space that saves me from scrolling so much... But that's pretty much it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
Sorry, I meant if you drag the top edge of a window (with the arrow pointing up/down) to the top edge of the screen, it will max the height. If you drag the title bar itself it will maximize to the whole screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP
    Home built
Ah, yes, that is true :)
You can also just position the cursor over the top edge of the window and double click it, it does the same thing ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
So wait... I just installed Win8 RP and am using IE 10 in the "metro" view right now (what a stupid, ridiculous term IMHO). So y'all are saying the only way to get "favorites" is to pin individual pages to Start? I have probably a hundred site favorites, don't really want to litter up my Start screen like that.

Love the full screen browsing experience, but really HATE the limited functionality. I've been a die-hard Firefox user, may just have to stick with that. At least there I have my AdBlock Plus.

Just click view on the desktop or open IE10 on the Desktop from the first place. I wish IE had AdBlock… Then it would be perfect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series
IE does have AdBlock in the form of Tracking Protection Lists. The fact is, however, that it's not as "agressive" towards ads like AdBlock. AdBlock blocks everything, while TPLs block enough to keep your and your privacy safe. In some cases they might not be efficient at all, but I'm afraid that's all we can get.

There are programs that can be paid for that block ads in IE completely, but as this subject is against the rules of this forum, I will not share them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
Yes I have tried TPLs but they are just not as good as AdBlock. Yes I know about those programs but AdBlock is better than all of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
Yes, but with IE, right now "you take what you can get". Despite all the improvements, developers are still not interested in spending their time to work on IE. Microsoft thinks TPLs are good enough, otherwise they would either not exist at all, or be much better.
AdBlock is the best, there is no question about it, but if you think it through you realize that it's far too agressive; many people don't care, but websites that have legitimate ads which is the only source of existence (apart from, perhaps, donations) suffer from it greatly.

I do not mind coming across an ad every once in a while. I discover new interesting websites, online games, or anything that might occupy me for at least a few minutes. I can accept it because I am a fan of StumbleUpon, so I can relate the two in a weird manner xD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
Yes, but with IE, right now "you take what you can get". Despite all the improvements, developers are still not interested in spending their time to work on IE. Microsoft thinks TPLs are good enough, otherwise they would either not exist at all, or be much better.
AdBlock is the best, there is no question about it, but if you think it through you realize that it's far too agressive; many people don't care, but websites that have legitimate ads which is the only source of existence (apart from, perhaps, donations) suffer from it greatly.

I do not mind coming across an ad every once in a while. I discover new interesting websites, online games, or anything that might occupy me for at least a few minutes. I can accept it because I am a fan of StumbleUpon, so I can relate the two in a weird manner xD
Yeah. I like it being aggressive though.

I am used to ads now because I have been using IE all my life but I just wish it had AdBlock. IE10 looks the best out of the browser on Windows 8 I reckon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
Back