The direction of Windows

But what about the "Experience"? I don't know that many people who bought an iPad because it had "super awesome hardware". No, the hardware specs themselves or the lack of external cards, or ports...never seemed to bother an iPad user at all. They bought it for the experience, it was shiny, it had good apps via the app store, and practically everybody has one and they all rave about it. Microsoft certainly needs THAT for Surface to really take off. We can give it the most awesome hardware ever...but without a strong desire to use it, what's the point?

I don't think most ipad users have half a billion apps installed on their ipads...if they did, they would have to use apple for saying you can have access to half a billion apps but can't without hassle.

But setting that aside and hardware: Office. No one goes to buy an ipad for Office. No one goes to buy an ipad so they can upload a Word document or to print said document. A Swiss Army knife is more worthwhile than having a expensive knife that can cut through a boot.

And likely almost everybody who bought an iPad found that they can live quite happily without office. I don't hear many complaints about how they would love they their iPad if it only had office.
And I've across people that have. I know a few that use it over their PC but when it comes time to anything worthwhile, a PC is ALWAYS used. A Windows 8 tablet PC just knocks two birds with one stone, or a neatly designed tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Not Altruistic

Data Centres cost enormous amounts of money to build and operate.
Companies don't provide "Cloud" products "out of the goodness of their hearts", they expect to make s***loads of money from them.

I seriously doubt that VDI will become part of the non-enterprise world..

I will try to find for you the article on the research center Google have in US for the only purpose of offering Virtual Desktop to everyone, Citrix, Vmware do the same and of course Microsoft. If you look at Chrome OS, it's clear that Google don't want we use PC.

Agreed.
It's obvious that's the plan.

Companies believe it will generate enormous amounts of cash AND eliminate piracy.
"The awesome new Cloud OS! Only $0.99/day!"

Governments would believe that they could prevent troublemakers from accessing the "Cloud" OS.
"These new powers will only be used against criminals, paedophiles and terrorists. You can trust us."

The only benefit to the consumer would be, they wouldn't need AV software ("Dumb Terminals" don't get permanently infested with malware).
It would actually promote a false sense of security, as consumers would still be vulnerable to monitoring, Phishing and ID theft.

As for the idea that the MS "Cloud" will be "unhackable", I offer Sony, Google and Adobe (just to name 3) as evidence to the contrary.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back