System restore gets tured off unexpectedly

Interesting test results. So, how do you absolutely know that the app is truly infected? Have you tried removing the infection and rerunning the tests to confirm the virus was removed and the app still works? Or, could you simply uninstall the app and reinstall it via a download from the Windows Store and run your test again? Is there any chance that this could just be a false positive report from those that have identified it as infected? This happens many times and even Avast generates false positives from time to time. Not sure what else to say other than thanks for testing at this point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Also, one more question please. How the heck are you able to do so much AV cross testing?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
virustotal.com submit a file. Check it out.
I am not a virus expert or any other expert. All I know when I was loading up the new computer I would do sfc /scannows regular, and if it passed then I would create restore point and go on to loading up more apps and updates. If I loaded too many windows updates at a time all of a sudden sfc /scannow would fail for no good reason but I could go back and restore and do it again but only instal a few windows updates at a time. It doesn't like 40 or 60 at a time for some reason.

Anyhow, after TWC app I had redirect issues and I said oh man this isnt good. My AV's couldn't find it so I went to restore and all points were gone. I went to Bleeping computer did a DDS log and could see what the deal was, (sweetpacks and something else) downloaded adwcleaner and rouge killer and then ran a DDS log and it cleaned up. I was lucky I guess.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP dv7-7300
    CPU
    intel 3740qm
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro x 256 SSD
virustotal.com submit a file. Check it out.

Ok, now I get it; however, I ran into a few snags when I tried to use it. First of all, it won't analyze any file that is larger than 64mbs so that really limits how one can use it because most exe files are much larger than that. Second, I did manage to find one file that it could analyze and I did not see where Avast was listed as being used to evaluate the file for infection? So, anyway, thanks for clearing that up; however, I still think you would be better off to find something that gives you better "up-front" protection so you wouldn't have to go through all that. Anyway, thanks for sharing because that was a whole new world for me to explore! Cheers!

my2cents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Well for lack of any better idea and just being your average schmoe who has a computer, I use Norton on this machine, Kaspersky on another and have Emsisoft emergancy kit as an on demand scanner. Emsisoft is very aggressive and uses allot of resources.
I just scanned a simple picture and Avast reads out on Virus total, attached,...you have to wait a bit for it to display all the av engines.
Thanks for the advice and tips !

Release the hounds !

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 75

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv7-7300
    CPU
    intel 3740qm
    Hard Drives
One thing I noticed...First off this HP laptop runs perfect and the only issue I have is internet explorer 10 stops working every time if I try to attach even a simple picture to be scanned at virus total. I have to use Firefox.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv7-7300
    CPU
    intel 3740qm
    Hard Drives
Ah yes... Firefox works much better; however, its usefulness is still limited to 64mbs (or less), and Avast still does not show up on the list of tested AVs, and how many pictures have you ever found that contained a virus? Anyway, it sounds like you've done a nice job of working through this issue. Good luck to you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Thanks.
I just scanned a simple picture to show that Avast scanned it.
Too bad it is limited to 64 K.
I am confused, what do you mean Avast doesn't show up on the list of tested AV's ? It shows that it scans with Avast on any file I try. Educate me :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv7-7300
    CPU
    intel 3740qm
    Hard Drives
It shows that it scans with Avast on any file I try. Educate me

No educatiion required. I stll had a scan result up in Firefox and at second glace, Avast was there... so back to cars... yeah, that Bonneville was huge..... ah; nevermind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
A big thank you back atcha. I enjoyed our conversation friend.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Nemix,

I also have noticed that behavior where my system restore periodically gets turned back on for reasons unknown. BTW, do you use any 3rd-party cleaning software?

CCleaner but I sorta suspect it's from older driver package update installs and/or Windows update, since I update to the latest Windows 8.1 drivers when available from 3rd party online sites more then occasionally.

If you have the Pro version of Windows 8.1 the option to permanently disable system restore in Group Policy Editor fixes this problem, the same option can be used to permanently enable system restore and can be used to fix OP's issue if he or she has the Pro version of Windows 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
Might be Windows Update; however, if that is the case, I would have expected a ton of complaints to have already surfaced. I'm OK with just a periodic check. Thanks for your response.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz