Steve Ballmer to retire within 12 months

The software company said its board had appointed a special committee to direct the process of appointing a new CEO.

The committee is chaired by John Thompson, the board's lead independent director, and includes Microsoft founder and Chairman Bill Gates, as well as other board members Chuck Noski and Steve Luczo.

It will consider both external and internal candidates and is working with executive recruiting firm Heidrick & Struggles International Inc, according to the company.

Looks like the search is wide open and not limited to internal promotion. Maybe some of those hotshots that left MS may get a shot at returning.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Rumor has it William Shatner wants a shot at it. Last I heard they told him if he gets the position, he can have as many buttons on the armrest of his chair as he wants. Just don't go looking for a Start button. It aint happening. :p

That's actually a good idea. . .

Kirk.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
This news makes me very happy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
Rikkins, you crack me up with every post of yours.

[video=youtube;PHQLQ1Rc_Js]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
Awesome news, but too bad its going to take up to a year. But at least now there's hope for a better Windows after the 8 and 8.1 disaster that was a Ballmer creation.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
The Internet is surging with happiness that Steve Ballmer is retiring lol. Stocks go up, Ballmer gifs everywhere. Kind of reminds me of the moment when everybody was singing Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye when Bush was leaving.

Maybe now Microsoft can get its stuff together. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 430M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
Maybe now Microsoft can get its stuff together. :cool:

The first move needs to be scrapping Metro. They can do a funny Dallas Pam/Bobby type ad.

I'm not saying the idea of Metro is completely bad but it could of been better and should of stayed in the tablet world. Scrapping Metro from the desktop should be in the priority list. There should be more focus in battery life, less Windows bloating, enhancements for power users and better performance on the desktop.

Has Microsoft ever thought of something simple like adding tabs to Windows Explorer? I mean we're in 2013. Why should I need a third party tool to do that?

And hopefully this new CEO can bring innovation cause to be honest tablets kind of got boring already. Would be nice if a tablet was a portable backpack. Throw your books pencils paper whatevers inside the screen and when you need them put your hand inside the screen and take it out. Like a magic hat.

Google glasses is not impressive either. Why not make eye contacts that work like a computer as seen in the movies?

iWatch? How about a Windows Watch where holograms pop out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 430M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
So it seems that the dissenters at M$ over a couple of years ago (the faction that lost and was not happy with Windows 8 / Metro) have been RIGHT all along, hopefully these folks that likely quit the company back then might be welcomed back with open arms.

YES, MS needs younger folks that have more than money on the mind. They should have vision, creativity, and enthusiasm, and most importantly listen to the customers needs, wants and desires, and are willing to let the customer make choices when new ideas are introduced as well.

I've said it ALL along, even if MS would have introduced Metro as it was the ONLY thing that was needed initially was to give the customers a choice about how THEY wanted to use the OS for their own needs. I mean it was really a simple solution. When the customer first booted up their new OS Win 8 for the first time they should have been given a CHOICE as to which default GUI they wanted to use. Of course the OS could have informed them that at any time they could switch to Metro as the default UI or perhaps have simply clicked in and out of Metro at will. Of course that default choice should have been as welcoming and familiar as 7 was with all the things folks had come to expect like the all important desktop as the boot to default, the critically important safe boot with the tap of the F key, and the traditional start button and menu....

The biggest tragedy wasn't Metro or Windows 8, it was the fact that the solution to the problem was only a few lines of code that was a snap to implement. That failure to quickly add it back in after the forced idea failed is a unmitigated DISASTER that there is no excuse for.

I bet there are a LOT of MS exiles (that parted with the company when they were the losing side in the debate on Windows 8) that are now chuckling at the fiasco and happy as well because they will get their jobs back. :dinesh:

As for Ballmer.... well, good riddance, and it can't come too soon, frankly I think the guy should leave ASAP for the good of the company and the employees.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
Lol at scrapping touch and disaster comments. The only disaster I see is bunch of people that didn't get Windows 7.1.

Same crap, different day as usual.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
As for Ballmer.... well, good riddance, and it can't come too soon, frankly I think the guy should leave ASAP for the good of the company and the employees.
:thumb: Yep! The people have spoken! And that's 12 months too long!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Q: What was today like for you? After all, you've been one of the most public faces of Microsoft since 1980.

Ballmer
: Somebody said congratulations to me this morning, and I've got to say that surprised me, probably shouldn't. When you retire, it's a perfectly reasonable thing. But, of course, my mind's been all around this notion of it never really being perfect time. ...

Surprised? LOL

Q: Did Chairman Bill Gates ask you to stay or go?
Ballmer: No. Bill -- I mean, no. Bill respects my decision. I mean, it's one of these things when if it's -- you know, ultimately these kinds of things have to be one's own personal decision.

Yeah right!

Q: Your biggest regret?
Ballmer: Oh, you know, I've actually had a chance to make a lot of mistakes,

No!...You don't say!

Source

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
I am drawn to comment. The forum has 26,000 members. There are normally more than 2000 members on line.
Yet, it constantly surprises me that so much criticism is posted in these forums, often around only a couple of points, but the credit for the good points in Windows 8 remains minimal.
I have used Windows 8, in Metro and in legacy desktop mode, since its innovation. I have not had the slightest problem. My main use of Metro is as a start menu, but I have installed classic in the legacy desktop. I am 100% comfortable with either. I do not have, nor will I ever, own a touchscreen device.
My view of recent events is as uninformed as everyone. But I am prepared to believe that Ballmers resignation has very little to do with Windows 8. The principal problem with Windows 8 (imho), was allowing its very early, unfinished, release to amateur testers. Those same testers jumped in with both feet, but very little investigation or imagination, and condemned the product from the start. But, YES. MS should have made the Legacy desktop the priority opening page, complete with the old start menu. Users could then, at their leisure, have experimented at got use to the alternative desktop.
Now retired, I have amused myself over my working years, with investment in shares. Any change in a company, of a significant nature, normally results in heavy speculation and buying and selling. That is where the money people are in their glory. Their power is ultimate, and they are able to bring down a company, as easily as build one up (on reputation) It means little. I will defy any members to refer back to this post in, say, about six months, and call me a liar.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Struggle

I am drawn to comment. The forum has 26,000 members. There are normally more than 2000 members on line.
Yet, it constantly surprises me that so much criticism is posted in these forums, often around only a couple of points, but the credit for the good points in Windows 8 remains minimal.

Have you considered the possibility that most people struggle to find anything good to say about W8?

I don't like W8 (Metro mostly).
However, when I pointed out that it uses 2/3 of the RAM that my W7 install uses, some people (on this forum) responded, "An extra 400 MB of RAM is useless anyway."

Most of the other actual Windows improvements are "much of a muchness" to me (I don't disparage them though).
However other people may find them useful (e.g. built-in AV, Hyper-V, storage spaces, etc.).

IMO, if the negatives hadn't existed, people would probably be "singing the praises" of the improvements.

The principal problem with Windows 8 (imho), was allowing its very early, unfinished, release to amateur testers. Those same testers jumped in with both feet, but very little investigation or imagination, and condemned the product from the start.

I disagree.

They did the same thing with W7 and the response was the exact opposite to the W8 response.
That should have been a big hint.

W8 user feedback was negative when:

• W8DP was released
  • W8CP was released
  • W8RP was released
  • W8Ent was released
MS chose to ignore 12 months of negative feedback and then started blaming the users, when people refused to buy W8.

Actually MS did respond to some user feedback.
When they found out that most people were disabling Metro and enabling the Start Menu (in W8DP), MS removed that code in subsequent versions.

They deliberately slapped users in the face and then acted hurt and surprised, when those users turned on them. :shock:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
"most people struggle to find anything good to say about Windows 8"

I, in turn, would disagree. If you explore this, and other, forums, you will find it is a very loud minimum of users who complain and, as I said, over two minimal points (Metro and the start screen.)

" don't complain about them
The principal problem with Windows 8 (imho), was allowing its very early, unfinished, release to amateur testers. Those same testers jumped in with both feet, but very little investigation or imagination, and condemned the product from the start."

Dunno where that first sentence popped in from? Nothing said by me!

The comparison with Windows 7 is, perhaps, misplaced. Windows 7 was an enormous relief for most, following on the tragic Vista. Windows 8 was innovative and, obviously, subject to controversy.
As you can surely see, subsequent comments on the following releases, were already following the herd mentality.
I agree with the "Much of a muchness" remark. This does support my view that, at least in legacy desktop mode, there is very little to whine about.
Now I/we are drifting from the thread title. Something I have criticised others for on this forum. Apologies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Back