Steve Ballmer Suggests Microsoft Has No Backup Plan if Windows 8 Fails

Only time and sales figures will ultimately determine if Windows 8 is a success or not, and in the meantime, all we can do on the consumer side is speculate. Microsoft, however, is in a position to do more. The Redmond software giant could, for example, come up with a Plan B in case Windows 8 and its radically redesigned interface doesn't catch on with consumers. Interestingly, it doesn't appear Microsoft is too worried about that scenario playing out.

In an interview with The Seattle Times, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer sort of dodged the question of what Microsoft's plan will be if Windows 8 doesn't take off the way the company hopes.

Read more at source:
Maximum PC | Steve Ballmer Suggests Microsoft Has No Backup Plan if Windows 8 Fails

In comparison, Windows 7 had the official Beta and RC version and immediately it was announced that all the testers who sign up will get a free copy at the end.
And it was announced all over internet, on many sites and forums.

In Windows 8, we had only previews, which anyone could download and try.

There was a Windows 7 Technical Beta - it was by invitation and not open to the general public. There was no "free copy (at the end) for anyone who signs up." In fact, until the very end there was no statement made or implied that technical beta testers would get ANYTHING beyond a thank-you (if even that).

I think Microsoft did make the RC available publicly, but the "free copy" was available to techincal beta testers who met Microsoft's crteria for "active beta testers" (though they never specified what that meant). The free copy was in the form of a download and license key, or installation media (shipped later) - but not both. Once you opted for one you could not change your mind.

To my knowledge there was never a "technical beta" for Windows 8. Having been through several of them in the past, though, I can imagine why:

FAQ #1 in the newsgroups: "when will we get another build to test?" (sometimes MS offered "interim builds" between milestones - they were usually "buggy" so when an interim build proved less than ideal the next question was essentially "can we have another one that's better?")

FAQ #2: "Will we get a free copy?"

I imagine that because of that sort of thing and the constant leaks, MS probably discontinued technical beta testing.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
There was a Windows 7 Technical Beta - it was by invitation and not open to the general public.

Yes, and that's why i didn't mentioned it.

There was no "free copy (at the end) for anyone who signs up." In fact, until the very end there was no statement made or implied that technical beta testers would get ANYTHING beyond a thank-you (if even that).

At the beginning, there was not, only rumors, but in May 2009., when the test was at the end, they have begun to mention the rewards for ''hard work'' and, (unofficially) that it would be a copy of Windows.

FAQ #2: "Will we get a free copy?"

I imagine that because of that sort of thing and the constant leaks, MS probably discontinnued technical beta testing.

Probably.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro WMC, OS X Mavericks
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    i7 860
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D-E
    Memory
    Corsair CMX8G3M2A1600C9D ,DDR3 ,8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 ,1 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2311H
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black SATA 6.0 1TB x1 ,
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB x1
    WD Caviar Red 4TB
    PSU
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510
    Mouse
    Logitech LX5
Microsoft already has TAP programs to do technical testing in a production environment, and I'm not sure why they bothered with the Windows 7 technical beta program. Not surprised it didn't happen for Windows 8, as it was replicating pre-existing programs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
There's ALWAYS an uproar with UI changes. Xp had it's bleh Luna interface that included an awful Start menu fly out that literally ended up covering up half the Desktop and the obnoxious pixel missing that closed it all. Then there was vista's UI changes. I've literally read complaints of that saying the menu was too small and they'll never be able to find anything with such a small compacted menu. Now we've come full circle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Windows dominates the PC market and that's not going to change anytime soon, until or unless a truly viable alternative comes along. The percentage of PC users who actually have technical skills is small, so they'll have little option but to adapt to the changes if they want to continue using a PC.

Yes, but it shouldn't be like that.

We need viable alternatives.

The barriers to entry are so enormous MS has free rein.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What viable alternative is there? Windows has a gigantic (and relatively easy to use) API set, good developer tools, and very (very) good and extensive enterprise support and services. There's a reason they're the 800lb gorilla, and it isn't because they ship on most every OEM device. It's the same thing that keeps other vendors out of the tablet market against the iPad, in reality - inertia, but also a good development and sales environment for other companies to leverage that to make their revenue.

Until another company really treats customers the way Microsoft treats their customers (and that includes seeing "developers" as your customers, too), there won't be a change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
That is exactly the point.

For historic reasons, MS has control. Even Apple were stuck sub 5ish% for an age. It is only because they created an entirely different market they were able to get somewhere.

Of course if there is only one supplier - everyone has to do things the way that supplier dictates - uniformity as you call it.

That is not a good thing.

Ironically - now a huge opprtunity has opened for alternatives.

MS massive 1.3 - 1.5 bn existing desktop users are up for grabs.

Some will just want a tablet anyway as their next purchase ( not necessarily a Windows tablet ).

Some will have to buy a new machine if theirs breaks - it will have win8 on it - they will have to like it lump it - Unless thay have the $1200 entry price for a macbook - they have no choice.

That leaves a vast number stuck - sitting on win 7 or XP - they will have to move eventually - but what to?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Because the barriers to entry are so vast - I can only think of a couple of possibilities.

1. Apple can release a $600 macbook.

Even the most ardent win8 lovers will know that would take a massive number away from windows - probably forever.

2. Google can pull their finger out and build a truly usable viable Linux desktop based o/s ( it will have access to the Google proprietary cloud content of course ).

Google can hand it out free to the oem's. The oem's would love it - they don't want to be reliant on MS.

At last the public would have a genuine alternative - available everywhere on all types of oem machines.

That is also the end for MS dominanace.

Will either of them do it ?

I don't know - but I am certain they are thinking about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thinking about it and being able to execute it - and well, because you don't get second chances at that level - are two different things. One thing I think Apple learned back in their previous days is that you can't totally ignore the enterprise if you want to toe the waters there, which may be part of the reason they don't really try very hard to push into that market. They've got token support, sure, but nothing of any scale or value. No enterprise is going to go with a vendor's "cloud", or with a vendor's product, that provides exactly 0 enterprise-grade support. This is one of the main reasons why WTG and Win8 tablets/ultrabooks in the enterprise are something IT departments are salivating over, especially ones that exert a high level of control over devices (or want to). As someone who works in these levels with different fortune 500 and 100 companies on a weekly basis, this is not something to scoff at - if Win8 devices provide the control they want at price points that are comparable, this will take off. If not, then iDevices will continue to be the go-to place for phones and tablets for a long time. However, the story here for Win8 devices is pretty good, and time will tell if Microsoft tells it well or not.

To another important point, though: the reason Microsoft makes most of it's cash on enterprise sales and services isn't because they're preloaded on OEM machines. It's because their products are very good, are manageable, and they provide quality service and support both before and after the sale. Right now, no one else does that to that scale, period. As to the home market, I think people mistake iPad and iPhone sales, and usage of Google docs as somehow a way into that market. Apple makes money on hardware, so selling a device cheaply doesn't make them money - hence why they've not done it, and aren't likely to do so for the forseeable future. As to Google OS, it might take off, but again, Google's apps and cloud aren't the vast majority of what people actually do with PCs, although someone technical would have no problem with that. However, someone technical probably already knows how to use Linux and other *nix variants, has a handle on how the Mac OS works (and might have a device or two), and can easily administrate a Windows network and devices as well. The average person isn't likely to be able to handle that yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Windows 8 cannot fail. Everyone who doesn't read all that negative press should actually try and use it, not just the god-awful look. The "SkyDrive" and metro explorer may suck, but please, let's just try it.

So what would you say to those of us who aren't particular excited or interested in this new UI, but have used Windows 8 extensively through all of the releases?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Use the tool that works best for you, knowing that no product is the best for everyone. You know this already from our previous discussions, but I think Windows 8 will be a good choice for the bulk of people right away, and for a good deal more after they get used to it. For the few (and few could be millions, considering there's potentially 1bn Win7 installations out there right now) that don't like it, it might be time to consider other options that work best. A tool is a tool, and using the right one for the job AND the operator is the best choice, regardless of who you work for or what you're doing. If you have the choice to make the decision for yourself, and that choice isn't Windows 8, so be it. If it's Linux, or the Mac OS, or even previous versions of Windows, so be it. There's nothing wrong with that, period.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
For the few (and few could be millions, considering there's potentially 1bn Win7 installations out there right now) that don't like it, it might be time to consider other options that work best.
I think few isn't really the right word. My gut feel is that it will be the majority of people who don't really like it. And that seems reasonable since this is the first major change to Windows in a very long time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
It's possible there is no reverse direction. So the question is moot. If Ballmer already has contracted to deploy an estimated 400 million copies of 8 on all kinds of devices, how can they reverse course? People depend on their communication and production devices. It's not like an 8 track tape deck or a laser disk player. Anyway, 8 is only a small part of Microsoft. Large quantities of server licenses cost thousands of dollars times a million servers worldwide. Then there is Office. Then there is "BUILD" and developer software. Then there is etc etc etc... Microsoft Press, multiple technical certifications cost thousands times 2 million techs, exchange online archiving, exchange hosted encryption, Microsoft Dynamics CRM online, Windows Intune, collaboration tools, exhange hosted email services, cloud services, etc etc...
OEM's have a lot invested in new technology.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
I think few isn't really the right word. My gut feel is that it will be the majority of people who don't really like it. And that seems reasonable since this is the first major change to Windows in a very long time.

Win8 supporters can't even crack 50% in this poll on this site. I haven't seen a poll anywhere in which a majority of people said they love/will buy/will upgrade/whatever 8. Maybe there's one out there, I don't know. That said, what counts is how well it sells plus how many of those people decide to downgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
While your point is made, remember that the only people who have it right now are exactly the kinds of people who would be most against UI change (aka IT people). That's generally not a great sign (see the "lego" or "playschool" Windows XP commentary from 2001-2002), but it's most certainly not a representation of the computing public at large.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
But we IT people are also highly likely to be able to figure out how to get it done too. I'm most worried about people like my neighbors and my parents, and my inlaws...who I forsee struggling to figure this stuff out and are far less likely to scour the web for forums such as this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Yes, but they'll get the OOBE experience and a pamphlet describing all of the new UI quirks and differences, which you and I (and anyone else pulling down from an MSVL site, MSDN, or TechNet) didn't get. I've showed my wife a few things (which should be in the official documentation) at first, when I upgraded her laptop, and she's been fine since. She pretty much lacks any technical proficiency other than she has used Windows 7 without issue for a few years and can navigate an iPhone, and while I am aware that's only empirical evidence, it still shows it can be done. Again, we shall see, but a lot of IT folks claim somehow it will be too hard for people to adjust to, and yet people adjust to things just fine every day. I'm not sure how or why an OS will be any different, but I hear daily how moving the mouse to the corners, or using your fingers to touch things, will be the death-knell of Microsoft.

It's amazing how IT people see users (dumb sheep), when in fact they're (for the most part) not. They just do things that usually aren't technology-related for a living, that's all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
but I hear daily how moving the mouse to the corners, or using your fingers to touch things, will be the death-knell of Microsoft.
It's not those 2 things which bother me.

It's the lack of being able to make Windows work as I want it to work (no start screen, and a start button), lack of customization of the Metro start screen (cannot even use custom images), full screen metro apps (I just don't see any benefit AT ALL on a desktop for a full screen app). I don't like the thought of software coming via the Microsoft store in the future versus coming from any third party that I currently choose to do business with.

But hey, at the end of the day, Microsoft isn't going to force me to run Windows 8, and I'm not going to part with $40 to upgrade my Windows 7 boxes. So, in fact, I'm really not all that bothered. We aren't moving to it at work, so I don't have to worry about supporting it, patching it, teaching users how to use it, or rewriting documentation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
The consumer personal computer market is what is ripe for overhaul.

A few can afford the current macbook entry price - most can't.

There is a very very big market there for the taking.

That is the risk MS is taking atm. A small risk - they must have weighed it up.

Apple could certainly do it - not sure they will, tho.

They could produce a lower price macbook - very good for the price - but still not as good as the higher price ones - danger of lowering the premium position they have.

Google are capable of it - linux variants are doing great on phones - oem's would be up for it.

But Google have a lot going on already. Not sure they would want to divert resources for an undertaking that size - in spite of the enormous potential rewards.

That is why MS think they can get away with what they are doing now.

They feel their existing base is pretty much impervious - they can chase something else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
At this point with w7 just about everyone i know was on w7 beta of some sort and never left it.
I know not a single person who tried w8 and stuck with it. Myself, I ran it for weeks, tossed it and see absolutely no reason to ever look at that again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7
Back