Steve Ballmer confesses Microsoft built too many tablets

Steve Ballmer has belatedly and half-heartedly admitted that Microsoft built far more Surface tablets than the company could possibly sell. And at the same internal Microsoft town hall meeting, he also said the obvious: Microsoft isn't selling as many copies of Windows 8 as it hoped.
It's good that Ballmer has owned up that Microsoft has trouble when it comes to the Surface and Windows 8, albeit in a small, semi-private way. More important now, though, is some sense of how he's going to fix the problem, and in a public way, not semi-privately. People's attitudes towards a product or technology tend to harden over time. The longer that Windows 8 and Surface tablets are seen to be troubled with no solution in sight, the harder it will become for any fix to work.
Steve Ballmer half-heartedly confesses Microsoft built too many Surface tablets | Computerworld Blogs

Don't know what the appeal is for the nexus devices. I've used many devices across 3 platforms (iOS, android, and RT/8). No BB, though. I still think RT feels much much much better than iOS and android. There's just no comparison.

- High-density displays
- Good performance
- Plenty of apps
- Reasonable price

RT fails at each of those four points so you're right, there's no comparison. Makes one wonder why it hasn't sold particularly well, doesn't it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hi there
If you need Windows - then use the proper WINDOWS OS.

RT is going nowhere -- why in the world would you even as a developer learn a skill set that will be absolutely NO use to you in your future career prospects.

The only way RT could have worked would be to have a Meta compiler so standard windows apps could run on the ARM (or other) architectures but they decided not to go that route -- probably because the processor in the tablet would have been too expensive to provide the processing requirements of a very fast meta language. However had they done this then STANDARD windows apps could be installed at will making the whole tablet a lot more useful.

RT -- Fail .

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Microsoft has got stuck in both the deals with the latest Win version and the Tab.. now how hard efforts are required to get out of the slow down the firm is facing is better known to it only ..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    e4166
    CPU
    core 2 duel
    Motherboard
    i3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dell
    Browser
    compe
    Antivirus
    kpersky
I think much of the mistake is from Microsoft, besides the other aspects where the RT could not compete with it competitors, they just built "too many" of it from the start. They should have built only a quarter or less of the number they had now, just to test if it would sell and just build more if the demands for the RT come in high, than leaving so many of these devices to grow old on the shelves.

And another thing is that, Micro$oft just didn't have a "Steve Jobs" figure that would help make their products "sell". Instead they had the "other Steve" (Ballmer) whose performance as CEO disgusts a lot of people and will take a big part of the blame why this is happening to Microsoft right now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
- High-density displays
I've been saying since day one that such high density displays are just a fad. As a test, I've been showing people who has ipads with the so-called retina display my not-so high res display the hp envy x2. Sure, putting the ipad and my device side by side you can tell the difference. But take the ipad away and people always thought my device also had a retina display.

It's just a fad that if you want to be a cool kid then you gotta have it.

- Good performance -
This is up for debate. No matter what google has done to android, it still feels clunky to me.

- Plenty of apps
Android has been out for how long? Windows 8/rt has been out for how long? I'm old enough to remember when people kept saying android will die because it didn't have as many apps as iOS.

- Reasonable price
Good point here. But for a 7 inch screen... no thanks.

RT fails at each of those four points so you're right, there's no comparison. Makes one wonder why it hasn't sold particularly well, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

Have you actually used the two devices side by side? Something as simple as swiping left and right to change the screen makes the nexus device feels clunky and unfinished next to an rt device. And something as simple as browsing with the web browser should be telling enough. The lag in android in regard to web browsing is unacceptably annoying. When people first started noticing this lag a year ago in high end android devices, I held off my judgment. I kept waiting for them to fix it. It's been a year and web browsing still feel clunky and slow on every android device I've ever used.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I would prefer he was forced to live under a bridge, but we all know that isn't going to happen. People like him always find a way to BS their neck out of the noose.

I don't think they are clever in such ways, it is only that they are "connected" to , and KNOW THE RIGHT PEOPLE in high places that is why they walk away with a lage golden parachute and seem to get yet ANOTHER top executive job once the news dies down.:mad:

I'd love to see laws rewritten that would allow former/present company heads that lead a company to gross financial ruin to be sued for criminal malfeasance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
- High-density displays
I've been saying since day one that such high density displays are just a fad. As a test, I've been showing people who has ipads with the so-called retina display my not-so high res display the hp envy x2. Sure, putting the ipad and my device side by side you can tell the difference. But take the ipad away and people always thought my device also had a retina display.

It's just a fad that if you want to be a cool kid then you gotta have it.

- Good performance -
This is up for debate. No matter what google has done to android, it still feels clunky to me.

- Plenty of apps
Android has been out for how long? Windows 8/rt has been out for how long? I'm old enough to remember when people kept saying android will die because it didn't have as many apps as iOS.

- Reasonable price
Good point here. But for a 7 inch screen... no thanks.

RT fails at each of those four points so you're right, there's no comparison. Makes one wonder why it hasn't sold particularly well, doesn't i

Have you actually used the two devices side by side? Something as simple as swiping left and right to change the screen makes the nexus device feels clunky and unfinished next to an rt device. And something as simple as browsing with the web browser should be telling enough. The lag in android in regard to web browsing is unacceptably annoying. When people first started noticing this lag a year ago in high end android devices, I held off my judgment. I kept waiting for them to fix it. It's been a year and web browsing still feel clunky and slow on every android device I've ever used.

Yeah, once again you've got a giant phone for an os.. without the phone. Why?

I'd much rather have a full os at hand. Some day soon we'll have some compelling devices. A giant phone-less phone for $250 just doesn't make sense to me when I can wait a few months or spend a hundred or more for an Atom tablet that can do real stuff.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
goodintentions: If you set out to simply dismiss every reason one can give to explain why people are buying Nexus devices, it's no wonder you fail to understand their success.

You're not alone though, it's pretty obvious that Microsoft still doesn't grasp the concept of what a tablet should be either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hi there
What about the ridiculous idea of having a 20 or even 24 MP sensor in a MOBILE PHONE camera !!! (Apple seems to want to do it).

Even Apple can't change the Laws of Physics -- apart from Hideous "noise" problems by having so many pixels crammed together on a tiny sensor the actual Lens on the camera will be totally incapable of resolving that detail -- even a PRO 35 MM Lens (the professional rocket launcher size one's you see the pro shooters using at professional sports events) has a limited resolving power.

For any Photographers on this Forum -- here's an interesting article taken from one of the BEST and most informative photography sites around.

Do Sensors

Enjoy !!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
goodintentions: If you set out to simply dismiss every reason one can give to explain why people are buying Nexus devices, it's no wonder you fail to understand their success.

You're not alone though, it's pretty obvious that Microsoft still doesn't grasp the concept of what a tablet should be either.

I'm not dismissing these reasons. I've no doubt that people think they are buying these devices because of those reasons.

I was just pointing out that the reasons are a fad. Most people I've interacted with couldn't tell if a screen has a lower resolution or really high resolution. And again, android feels clunky no matter what they've done to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Microsoft was/is caught between a rock and a hard place so far as the desktop PC OS market is concerned. That market has not flatlined yet, for market analysts are predicting further decline, so what's a mother to do? Stick with what you're doing or change?

As a computer enthusiast owning a small construction business, one of the big questions I had when I booted up 8RP and saw it for the first time I wondered if businesses would ever adopt it. After a while I began to see the big picture of what MS was trying to accomplish with RT > A walled-gardened cloud-dependent (device/server) system to run across multiple devices in conjunction with Windows Phone 8. IMO, that's one better than their competition is doing, which, BTW, has developed what? > Walled-gardened cloud-dependent (device/server) systems. Who here does not have at least one device that is so? Let's all face the fact that they're all seeking that market. Societies and businesses have and will continue to go mobile. Apple and Google have proven their is huge profits to be made.

Along the lines of the thread title > MS jumped the gun and made too many Surface RTs thinking it would be a better seller. A rather costly mistake for sure. I'm sure they won't live in the problem, but rather find a solution. They may discount to sell at a loss and write it off. They may donate some or all to schools and write them off.

A question to all > If MS developed 8 liken to their past traditional desktop OSs who would they sell them to? And the OEMs?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
A question to all > If MS developed 8 liken to their past traditional desktop OSs who would they sell them to? And the OEMs?

How did Microsoft become the behemoth that it is now? What has created the most cash flow for them?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Windows for desktops has been the companies bread and butter for many years, and is the biggest contributor to Gates and Balmer being as wealthy as they are today. It goes without saying that Microsoft would continue with this same trend by simply allowing Win8/8.1 users the ability to switch to a Win7 look and feel (with the improvements of Win8) if the user chooses to do so. And that option should include the traditional start button and menu that people are complaining about.

It seems like a no brainer that Microsoft could stop the bloodshed of money they are losing by implementing this one little thing. They would see sales shoot through the roof, and an added benefit would be the revival of the desktop/laptop market. All these builders would be putting what onto their machines?

You asked who would buy it..... well, nearly everyone would buy it. You would see mass adoption like you saw with Win7. Why Microsoft doesn't see this is ridiculous. But they have their feet planted firm and are reluctant to budge. I guess that's fine if their goal is to edge closer to bankruptcy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough

Fair question. If they had merely re-released a win7 with without anything new, there would not have been much point. That said, they could have built on and improved the win7 type model, and people would have bought it. Indeed, I dare say sales would have been better than what they are now experiencing. But, they didn't do that, and now they are in deep trouble. Did they learn anything...?? Only time(or win9) will tell...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

Fair question. If they had merely re-released a win7 with without anything new, there would not have been much point. That said, they could have built on and improved the win7 type model, and people would have bought it. Indeed, I dare say sales would have been better than what they are now experiencing. But, they didn't do that, and now they are in deep trouble. Did they learn anything...?? Only time(or win9) will tell...
A better question how many bought Window 8 and upgraded to Windows 7. Next question is how many installed Classic Shell to turn Window 8 into Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
MS expected to sell about 300-320m pcs in a year, even taking account of some moving to tablets.

That is a huge number. MS are trying to leverage those buyers into their online services. They are also trying to get those pc buyers to get a windows tablet and/phone.

That is the correct thing to do from MS perspective. They made a mess of it.

Anybody in marketing worth their salt could see it coming. Very strange way to go about things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
MS expected to sell about 300-320m pcs in a year, even taking account of some moving to tablets.

That is a huge number. MS are trying to leverage those buyers into their online services. They are also trying to get those pc buyers to get a windows tablet and/phone.

Anybody in marketing worth their salt could see it coming. Very strange way to go about things.

Pity no rep available on this thread..but +1 anyway

Now they upping their marketing budget as well ...if no new strategy, well then .. go figure:rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives

Where did you get those numbers from? I scoured the Inet to no avail. Everything I read speaks of slumping numbers. Even Intel is cutting back due to the decline.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Windows for desktops has been the companies bread and butter for many years, and is the biggest contributor to Gates and Balmer being as wealthy as they are today. It goes without saying that Microsoft would continue with this same trend by simply allowing Win8/8.1 users the ability to switch to a Win7 look and feel (with the improvements of Win8) if the user chooses to do so. And that option should include the traditional start button and menu that people are complaining about.
*Sigh* This is faulty reasoning and I've been pointing this out for months. PC sales took a nose dive long before 8 was on anyone's radar. Heck, it took a nose dive long before 8 was even announced. Coming out with another windows 7 wasn't going to change anything. PC sales took a nose dive not because people somehow magically knew the future and hated 8 a couple years before it came out, but because most users are braindead users (bloggers and facebookers) and they didn't need to buy a PC to do that anymore.

The current problems with sales that 8 is having isn't beceause 8 sucks. It's because it came out too late. Most (braindead) users are already entrenched in their iOS and android devices. Heck, before 8 came out I had already bought hundreds of android apps. When 8 came out it was a godsend to me, because now I could work and play on the same devices. You can only play on android or iOS.

And here is a picture I took while visiting my sister's family.

tablets.jpg

Don't tell me had MS come out with another windows 7 version that my sister's family will dump all those high end android devices to buy windows 8/rt devices.

It seems like a no brainer that Microsoft could stop the bloodshed of money they are losing by implementing this one little thing. They would see sales shoot through the roof, and an added benefit would be the revival of the desktop/laptop market. All these builders would be putting what onto their machines?
Again, it's not a no brainer. Long before 8 came out when the only option for windows was 7, PC sales took a nose dive. How will coming out with another windows 7 version going to change that? I don't understand this no brainer logic.

You asked who would buy it..... well, nearly everyone would buy it. You would see mass adoption like you saw with Win7. Why Microsoft doesn't see this is ridiculous. But they have their feet planted firm and are reluctant to budge. I guess that's fine if their goal is to edge closer to bankruptcy.
Again, PC sales took a nose dive long before 8 was even announced back when 7 was the only option. At the same time, the market as well as households became saturated with iOS and android phablets. Don't tell me the two facts do not correlate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

This is also faulty reasoning.

MS had 20+ years to build and improve the desktop. I'm pretty sure by 7 the desktop was already as optimized as it could be.

It's like designing and building folks. Folks have around for millennia. If there is suddenly a paradigm shift of what people use to shove food into their mouths and begin buying chopsticks en masse while buying less folks, are you going to use the same logic you used with windows and say if only folk manufacturers come out with another folk that people will abandon chopsticks and come back to folks?

The lack of PC sales has nothing to do with 8. It has to do with the fact that the market and households were saturated with iOS and android devices long before 8 came out. And now people are too entrenched in iOS and android for their mobile computing that it's hard for them to migrate to windows mobile computing.

If you dispute with this, then please explain why PC sales slumps long before 8 was even announced. Don't tell me everybody had a crystal ball and knew they would hate 8 years it saw the daylight.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Back