Start Menu Orb Hidden In Latest Windows 8 Builds

PC users who are buying a new computer with the Windows 8 operating system, and those who are upgrading their existing versions will have to cope with quite a few major design changes over previous versions of the Windows operating system.

The new Metro UI interface obviously makes the top of that list. Tech savvy users who follow the development of Windows 8 are still not sure whether it will improve their workflow on desktop systems. The Windows 8 Beta, which will supposedly be released later this months, should give everyone an answer to that.

Start Menu Orb Hidden In Latest Windows 8 Builds

The Start Screen is a further evolution of the start menu and should be respected as such, not segregated into two separate interfaces that can't or won't have a chance to work together.

Totally agree. And that's been one of my chief complaints about Metro - it's too separate from everything else. I've got no beef with MS moving in a new direction, but when we have enough time to look back at 8, it could very well be perceived as nothing but a transition, just like Vista was with 7. Or it could blow up in MS's face. I really don't know. Just want to see this thing in action at the end of the month.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
I liked how they had the start button in the dev version. Put it back MS >:/

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Dev
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 duo P7450 @ 2.13GHz
    Memory
    4gb ddr2 800MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce 9800M GS 512MB
The Start Screen is a further evolution of the start menu and should be respected as such, not segregated into two separate interfaces that can't or won't have a chance to work together.

Totally agree. And that's been one of my chief complaints about Metro - it's too separate from everything else. I've got no beef with MS moving in a new direction, but when we have enough time to look back at 8, it could very well be perceived as nothing but a transition, just like Vista was with 7. Or it could blow up in MS's face. I really don't know. Just want to see this thing in action at the end of the month.
Or maybe the Desktop is not metro enough..... :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Or maybe the Desktop is not metro enough..... :p
Honestly - you're right. Although, I don't know how a Metro-fied file system would work. Haven't given that much thought. All I know is that, to me, 8 does not feel cohesive. Even though I'm not a fan of what I've seen thus far, I would rather see everything in one piece. That would be a huge improvement. Right now it's like an OS slapped on top of another OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
What my impression is. Remember back in the olden days of Windows 3.1? We had small icons that were connected to the programs
installed, and now with Metro, just seems to me Microsoft is taking a step back to those days and putting a new twist on it with the metro interface. I don't see Windows 8 selling many copies myself when it is released. :sick:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
In the Developer Preview you didn't see that load directly to a desktop but one screen full of large buttons and had to click on the one for the desktop. It was a task just to open up a second IE window when having to go back through that same screen all over again.

In the ComputerWorld article on the Start orb that refers to is as a hot spot down in the lower left corner. Microsoft drops Start button from Windows 8, reports say - Computerworld

Glad to see one guide for 8 is already! :D That will help in 3 weeks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Back