SSD Drive dependability

Brands like HP, Dell, Acer need to popularise laptops with SSDs & hybrid drives amongst the wide consumer market replacing the old spinning platters. For that the $/Gigs has to really come down I suppose. Its very difficult to see any branded laptops with SSD or hybrids being sold here in India.
If SSDs starts to gain attention, they can really reduce the failure/return rates, cut-down on build time, increase battery life, improve the overall experience of a laptop & of course consumers start talking about how fast their Brand new laptop is - actually these factors increase their sales, Isn't it?
Of course, there comes a question - why selling like that if you can upgrade to SSD after purchase!? :think: :huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
Laptops typically come with large capacity drives, 500 GB ~ 750 GB. Putting an SSD of the same size in will bump the cost up to where people would more than likely buy one with a regular drive in it to save money. Especially if its a bigger drive, more storage. It will happen eventually when prices drop more, then the increased speed and longer battery life will be the selling point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Laptops typically come with large capacity drives, 500 GB ~ 750 GB. Putting an SSD of the same size in will bump the cost up to where people would more than likely buy one with a regular drive in it to save money. Especially if its a bigger drive, more storage. It will happen eventually when prices drop more, then the increased speed and longer battery life will be the selling point.

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to convey. SSDs really has to get huge advancement in their technology with regard to cost & reliable performance. These people would start to realize its potential if there occurs a dip in their prices for good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Hybrid drives are also "spinners" just with a small SSD attached as a cache to speed up operation so they can't have same speeds as proper SSDs.
I have a feeling that prices for SSDs are kept intentionally high until research for them pays off. Just like it was happening with "plasma" TVs and monitors (price fixing during that time didn't help either), once they passed by that, new monitors took off like crazy and killed production of CRTs in no time. Time is coming for SSDs too, just have to jump that barrier of overproduction of HDDs. Than we'll see another boom. Just one problem, people are working on new type of magnetic memory that promises much higher speed and even lower power consumption and if that gets going before SSDs are left as only or main storage devices, again we will see higher prices of new devices without large drop of prices for devices that preceded it.
Right now, we are seeing relatively high prices of SSDs without corresponding price drop for HDDs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Gradual transformation from hybrid to SSD could occur. I could see hybrid drives here in India only for premium laptops with comparatively higher price.
If its the Plasma tv revolution that's going to happen, then we'll give it a very warm welcome - really need all the major brands to popularise SSDs in their products, waiting for that event to occur :D, hope it would come soon:dinesh:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
Hi there.
I suppose Price is only relative to where you are in the world - but I've seen a large drop in the price of SSD's and conventional HDD's too. I can pay less now for a 256GB SSD than I did for a 120 GB one I did a while ago. Laptop HDD's also are very cheap now - even for a 1TB model -- although why you would need a 1TB model on a laptop is a moot point.

Performance is so much better with an SSD even with a cheap older laptop - or even one of those really old netbooks (does anybody still use those any more) that it becomes a real pain to use a computer with a standard HDD - even a more powerful computer.

SSD's consuime less power, and put out less heat too -- and are perfectly reliable too --although as always with computers take decent backups from time to time.

SSD's --win win in every way.

If you really need a lot of storage with a laptop simply use one of those external self powered passport type 2TB USB3 (compatible with USB2 as well) HDD's. 2TB should keep most people quiet enough for a while.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there.
I suppose Price is only relative to where you are in the world - but I've seen a large drop in the price of SSD's and conventional HDD's too. I can pay less now for a 256GB SSD than I did for a 120 GB one I did a while ago. Laptop HDD's also are very cheap now - even for a 1TB model -- although why you would need a 1TB model on a laptop is a moot point.

Performance is so much better with an SSD even with a cheap older laptop - or even one of those really old netbooks (does anybody still use those any more) that it becomes a real pain to use a computer with a standard HDD - even a more powerful computer.

SSD's consuime less power, and put out less heat too -- and are perfectly reliable too --although as always with computers take decent backups from time to time.

SSD's --win win in every way.

If you really need a lot of storage with a laptop simply use one of those external self powered passport type 2TB USB3 (compatible with USB2 as well) HDD's. 2TB should keep most people quiet enough for a while.

Cheers
jimbo

I can only say whats happening here in India, its really poor performance in case of speed - and I see the only bottleneck for that being spinning HDD as Mike referred to.
Really need an SSD - upgrading after buying a decent laptop, paying extra price for it is very sad :(

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
At the present time SSDs are superior to conventional drives in every way, except cost. An SSD with the capacity that most people would consider adequate is still to expensive to include in a computer that will sell on the mass market. There can be little doubt that SSDs will eventually replace conventional drives. Increased market share and improved manufacturing techniques will bring down price and increase performance, storage space, and reliability. As happened with conventional drives. But it will take time, and nobody knows how long it will be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
As i saw, most of better laptops, that costs 1500+ $, comes with ssd, and best laptops comes with two ssds. That is understandable, as most people doesnt know anything about technologies, so puting a simple cheap hdd with bigger capacity numbers will looks better for simple people, also simple people just wants laptop to run a web browser, they dont care about speed or anything else, so there is no need for puting ssd into cheap laptops.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 x64
If the major brands really need to keep going ahead in the race to ultimate performance , they have to atleast try implementing the SSDs with reduced price in laptops <$1000 gradually, & if that shows some improvement in the market behavior, they could really go for it and that would boost everything with it...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory