Solved Sorry MicroSoft, it's to late,

I hate all these daft things in corners and edges. I use 3 monitors and every time I move the cursor between screens some menus or charm bar pops out.

very stupid. Why the charm don't stay in the Start Page, we don't need it in the desktop, do we ? ( now someone will come and told me to install this or that to disable it, we usually don't install something to disable it, usually we just click an option some where )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
very stupid. Why the charm don't stay in the Start Page, we don't need it in the desktop, do we ? ( now someone will come and told me to install this or that to disable it, we usually don't install something to disable it, usually we just click an option some where )

No, you don't need the charms bar in the desktop.. unless you want to access search, or the settings menu... or you want an easy access to the start menu using a touch device... no, the charms bar should totally go away.. :shock:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
@steveb

ok, I agree with you - in desktop the taskbar does seem to wander around different screens.

I hoped I would get used to Win 8 behavior - or at least understand it. I had horrible issues with the charm bar appearing whenever I touched the mouse but solved it by disabling the (Lenovo) mouse additions and that seemed to work. I only see the metro/charm/etc if I want to (usually).

I still like it though but to to be honest a 5250 emulator and a paper and pen would probably do me. I'm trying to keep up with the times so if I go to an internet cafe I have some idea what to do :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Another thing guys,

I'm running Linux and OSX in VirtualBox on Win 8. Neither bother with charm things in full screen mode.

And they are fast.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Outstanding, this turned out to be a very informative thread. yes, i agree with all comments, as I also am impressed w/win8,
however, i feel more in control with a "start button" therefore I use Classic Shell for that purpose. I feel Microsoft's goal was
"one operating system fit's all needs, i.e. phones, pads, lappy's,and desktops. Hence, I have only a desktop and no need for
the "metro" side, I simply use win 8 for my desktop needs, which I find win8 superbly suited and much improved, even over,
win7....so again thank you all for the input, and yes i researched "start8" and agree. I will be switching to "start8" directly.
I truly am pleased to have joined your forum, as an off the cuff comment brought so much helpful feedback.
As originally stated, "Win7 & 1/2" is great, as i have need for only the desktop half...

thanks all,

walex

My Computer

System One

• OS
    MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1070T
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (AM3)
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 688MHz (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    DELL ST2421L (1920x1080@60Hz) 1023MB GeForce GT 430 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Some of you surely know about automatism associate with human ? I'm not sure of the word, in French it's look like that, anyway, we develop automatism, like we can grab a glass of water on a table a drink without even think about synchronizing our hands, the brain do it by himself. For years we get use to Windows gesture. Now with Windows 8 we have to think every move we do if we not working with a Desktop apps. It's there the real problem this is not productive at all.

Just look at the mistake Larson did with the ribbon everyone was use to office 2003, in 2007 they bring the ribbon with a stupid orb, no one can guess the files menu was in the orb. They understand the problem and correct it with Office 2010.. so why Larson do again the same mistake with Windows 8 hiding the start button ? You know the saying, make a mistake one...twice.. I like the start page and I don't need the start menu , but why not simply put the dam orb start button to go to the start page ? You have a tile to go to the desktop in the start page, why not a orb to go from the desktop to the start page ? No peoples have to guess to go in the corner to click something they don't even see until they reach the corner.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hey walex, I think you mean 31/32. I only joined today also and I will check out the "start8" but personally I don't mind pressing the windows key either. I've also found you get good responsible answers here - the 7 one was also good. God bless them whoever they are.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Yes "molebo" you summed it up as to why I use a start button, I am conditioned to it and feel more in control with it. It simply
is more visible as an "orb". Yes "adamf" start8 appears to be a more finished product than Classic Shell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1070T
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
Some of you surely know about automatism associate with human ? I'm not sure of the word, in French it's look like that, anyway, we develop automatism, like we can grab a glass of water on a table a drink without even think about synchronizing our hands, the brain do it by himself. For years we get use to Windows gesture. Now with Windows 8 we have to think every move we do if we not working with a Desktop apps. It's there the real problem this is not productive at all.

It's called Muscle Memory. But here's the thing about Muscle memory, if you stop using it and do another thing, you develop new muscle memory. It doesn't take long (a few weeks).

Muscle memory is a poor excuse, and is the textbook definition of "fear of change". Yes, Office 2007's orb menu was a little too esoteric for people, which is why it was changed. That had nothing to do with the Ribbon though. The menu and the ribbon are two different UI elements, they just happened at the same time.

It was assumed that since people had no trouble going from a button that said Start to the Windows "Orb" in Vista, that they would take that knowledge and translate it to the menu in Office. For some reason, despite it being very similar, people just didn't make the connection.

There have always been lots of hidden functions in Windows. This is not the first. For instance, click your mouse in the upper left corner of Internet Explore (above the back button) and lo and behold, a menu appears. This is the same menu that used to there back in the Windows XP days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I prefer windows to OSX generally - that is why I bought Win 8. Windows 7 was better than OSX and 8 is better still. I own a couple of macs but that is neither here or there. I use them for specific things. You say making a virtual machine is illegal? I guess you are from the US. It is not here afaik - only the license.

I think the phrase you were looking for rather than autistic is "Muscle memory". I'm a biker and I know that my body acts faster than my brain sometimes. I can put the brakes on before I am aware of an obstruction and my body knows that it is the right hand lever. Same with any repetitive action like looking for, for example, notepad. Before I used to hit window key, "not", <enter>. Now on 8 I am not sure but I will learn it. I do not do it that often in a day though and it is less important than hitting a truck. None the less I do get your point.

I also type on both AZERTY and QWERTY keyboards and swapping is difficult. I hated the ribbon when it came in but I have to use other peoples computers - it is my job.

Personally I'd rather the start button as I'm used to it (not much though really) but it is not up to me - it is up to Microsoft. Therefore I'll learn to use it as it is so that I don't get confused when presented by a vanilla installation elsewhere.

As long as I know you can do windows key + R to run something I'm personally OK.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
. You say making a virtual machine is illegal? I guess you are from the US. It is not here afaik - only the license..

No I'm not in US, and whatever you are in the world, Apple don't authorize to install the OSX in any other products than an Apple Products, and this count also for the VM. The proof is you can't install it in VM without hack it. And on this forum Pirating, (because it's what you do ) it's against the rules. Apple is not Microsoft they don't sell OS, they sell computers and of course Upgrade for them. I can link you many French website who talk about it.

c'est simple, tu n'a pas le droit. ( it's simple you don't have the right ) . and I don't use Google to translate. I don't use (vous ) because you probably younger than me. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Here's a trick I found on the 'net to make 8 a little more palatable.

Right click the taskbar then go to Toolbars > New Toolbar. In the New Toolbar - Choose a Folder dialog box, enter the path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and click Choose Folder. Voila, for all intents and purposes you have a "Start Button" with access to all your programs. Granted, it's called "Programs" and is on the right side of the taskbar but it serves the purpose and doesn't require an add-in.

-jeff
can also rightclick that folder for Properties, click Change icon, Shortcut can be pinned to metro start
good suggestion ,but ,most people who want the classic start want it because it keeps track of the recent used programs,file ect ect for quick access, for me i could use your suggestion,or do as im doing now most used programs icons on my toolbar or the desktop

To view Recent files open Run and type C:\Users\user name\Recent
To create a shortcut
rightclick desktop, click New, click Shortcut, type C:\Users\RON\Recent click OK
Shortcut can be pinned to metro start Start Tiles.png Programs & Recent are at bottom

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
I think the phrase you were looking for rather than autistic is "Muscle memory". I'm a biker and I know that my body acts faster than my brain sometimes. I can put the brakes on before I am aware of an obstruction and my body knows that it is the right hand lever. Same with any repetitive action like looking for, for example, notepad. Before I used to hit window key, "not", <enter>. Now on 8 I am not sure but I will learn it. I do not do it that often in a day though and it is less important than hitting a truck. None the less I do get your point.

Yes, Muscle memory is strong. But, I would imagine that if you drove a car, you wouldn't be trying to stop it with your right hand. The fact is, our body and reflexes adapt to whatever new thing we use if we use it for a bit.

I know that when I drive a manual transmission for a while, then go to an automatic, my foot goes for the clutch and my hand goes for the stick all the time, but it doesn't take me long to adapt. It's just annoying at first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
my foot goes for the clutch

I know this is off topic so I'll stop now but if I drive an automatic car I panic slightly as there is no clutch. My body therefore decides to try to use the left foot on the brake as that is where the clutch should be with irritating consequences.

Perhaps this is relevant in a way after all. Certainly I am slower navigating my way around 8 than 7 but I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Incidentally if you drove a car on the LHS like the English you could use your right hand for the parking brake to stop. Probably need the clutch first though :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
A note to "adamf" and all in general, I installed "start8" for a 30 day trail,and yes it is a more complete and refined start button,
than the other, in fact it is difficult to tell that it is not a part of win8. I will purchase as it is only $4.95.

walex

My Computer

System One

• OS
    MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1070T
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
Yes, with Start8 you can turn off the hot corners and charms inside the desktop without affecting the hot corners in the Modern UI. This means you have to use a Winkey press such as Winkey-C to get to the Modern UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus K55n DS81
    CPU
    Amd A8 4500M
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD
    Hard Drives
    500GB
    Browser
    Inernet Explorer 11 Chrome
If you want a replacement for the start menu why not try this- its a registry "hack" (well, just a short cut really) .
just open a new short cut on your desk top and enter :- "explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}" EXACTLY as in the inverted comma`s.
Save it onto your desktop.

Open the properties and under the "shortcut" tab change the Icon for one that suits you.

then pin to taskbar (right click on icon)

and Voila! a short-cut to the metro applications list.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Poo Edition (& Windows 7 Premium)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo 2561 (& a Pavillion H.P.P6)
    CPU
    Core i5 i5-2120 / 3.3 GHz (HP= Core i3-2120)
    Motherboard
    ECS H61 MATX (HP =H61 m/Bd)
    Memory
    8,077 MB DDR3 1333Mhz SDRAM (HP= Same)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Integrated (HP= Palit 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 630)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZxR (Hp= Realtek ALC 656 )
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell S2340T/Samsung SA100 (Hp= SA-100)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080( HP= Same)
    Hard Drives
    120GB SSD,2TB 7200rpm SATA II,1.5TB 7200rpm SATA II,USB2 2TB seagate SATA II, USB2 500GB Seagate SATA II, ,USB3 4TB Seagate SATA II , USB3 64GB (Readyboost) Thumb drive, microSD(a) 32GB, microSD(b) 64GB, microSD(c) 2GB in USB adapter (recovery keys),
    PSU
    240W/(500W)
    Case
    Generic Lenovo(mini Tower)
    Cooling
    Generic single fan(same)
    Keyboard
    Emprex 6310U and Lenovo SK-8861 cordless (Hp=KMO 2004 cordless)
    Mouse
    Tecknet M002 and Logitech T620 Touch mouse & Lenovo cordless (2 workstations) (HP= KMO2002 cordlesss
    Internet Speed
    100MB
    Browser
    IE11 + Firefox
    Antivirus
    Defender(PC1),McAffee(PC2),Norton 360(PC3).
    Other Info
    I have 3 Systems, this one (lenovo) & the P6 which has nearly identical specs but runs windows 7 (considerably more reliably.)
    and a Vista laptop which also has no problems -I actually LIKE vista (ooh - controversial!!)
If you want a replacement for the start menu why not try this- its a registry "hack" (well, just a short cut really) .
just open a new short cut on your desk top and enter :- "explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}" EXACTLY as in the inverted comma`s.
Save it onto your desktop.

Open the properties and under the "shortcut" tab change the Icon for one that suits you.

then pin to taskbar (right click on icon)

and Voila! a short-cut to the metro applications list.

I was going to say the windows key does same but I'd be wrong.
•Then I realized this takes you to Aʟʟ Pʀᴏɢʀᴀᴍs (Aʟʟ ᴀᴘᴘs) & Sᴇᴀʀᴄʜ
So this is a great 1 click time saver. Compared to 2 clicks & a rightclick

Thanks for this one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4