Smaller seems to be better

Apple’s iPad mini has leapfrogged its bigger brother in terms of sales. If the latest figures and projections from NPD DisplaySearch are anything to go by it seems like the market has shifted and smaller tablets will take over in 2013.

“We now understand that Apple may be planning to sell 55M iPad minis (7.9”) and 33M iPads (9.7”) in 2013,”

The focus upon smaller screened tablets isn’t just from Apple’s customers. NPD figures looks at industry-wide shipments which indicate that “in the first month of 2013, tablet PC panel shipments shifted dramatically toward smaller screen sizes”.

Also NPD suggests that the mini tablets are about to get a shot in the arm with higher resolution displays.

Full size Apple iPad sales collapse as iPad mini takes over - Tablets - News - HEXUS.net

Where is that going to leave the Surface? I'm not surprised that OEMs have shied away from producing Windows RT tablets and will this have an effect on Windows Pro tablets?

Has Bill suddenly cloned himself, it's like an echo in here.

So it's a bad thing that someone else comes in to say their opinion about small phablets, without being accused of something they're not?

Not at all, it's just that I find it quite ironic, considering that a day or so ago when you or Bill whined about me commenting on Windows 8 and wanted me to stop, I said that I will keep it up so that the concerns of many aren't buried and that may attract others to voice their concerns as well.

Later I thought, I wonder? It's funny that the focus and even the mode of expression of the latest supporter is so similar to Bill's style.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
It's an amusing comment - a little joke.

A sense of humour is required to see it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Has Bill suddenly cloned himself, it's like an echo in here.

So it's a bad thing that someone else comes in to say their opinion about small phablets, without being accused of something they're not?

Not at all, it's just that I find it quite ironic, considering that a day or so ago when you or Bill whined about me commenting on Windows 8 and wanted me to stop, I said that I will keep it up so that the concerns of many aren't buried and that may attract others to voice their concerns as well.

Later I thought, I wonder? It's funny that the focus and even the mode of expression of the latest supporter is so similar to Bill's style.
I know right, everyone that supports Windows 8 seems to have a well thought out logic...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

I know right, everyone that supports Windows 8 seems to have a well thought out logic...

I wouldn't call it that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
The logic is simple - eat or die.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Finally my stroke infested brain (though not according to Dr. Ray8) has finally figured out Ray's go in life, and that is to ensure that anyone who fines Windows 8 worth using should know (according to Ray8) that they are being mislead by Windows / Ms Fanboys. . .:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Finally my stroke infested brain (though not according to Dr. Ray8) has finally figured out Ray's go in life, and that is to ensure that anyone who fines Windows 8 worth using should know (according to Ray8) that they are being mislead by Windows / Ms Fanboys. . .:D
Problem with Ray is that because he doesn't like the MPI no one else should like it, and if they do they're a Fanboy.

Of course that's not the only thing he doesn't like, he doesn't like anything after Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I like Win 8, but wasn't all that impressed with Metro out-of-the-box.
But, once customised somewhat, it's fine.
Yes, I do use Classic Shell, but could easily remove it without adverse effect on my usage. I use it as well as, not instead of the Start Screen.
I find W8 to be no less 'productive' than W7, and I do all my navigating with a mouse/keyboard, just as I've always done. I do not want or need touch on my desktop or laptops anyway.
But I think the Metro UI is fine on a smaller device.
Yes, I've just bought a small Android tab.
But if I could have gotten a 7" Surface RT that didn't use the pain thresh-hold as a price-setting point, I'd have been onto it like a shot.
A bigger tablet (Surface or otherwise) isn't portable enough for my needs, I may as well take the laptop.

I'm neither a fanboi nor a hater. There are things I like about the OS, there are things I do not. But it's been that way with just about every OS I've ever used. No biggie, I just work around what I dislike.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I like Win 8, but wasn't all that impressed with Metro out-of-the-box.
But, once customised somewhat, it's fine.
Yes, I do use Classic Shell, but could easily remove it without adverse effect on my usage. I use it as well as, not instead of the Start Screen.
I find W8 to be no less 'productive' than W7, and I do all my navigating with a mouse/keyboard, just as I've always done. I do not want or need touch on my desktop or laptops anyway.
But I think the Metro UI is fine on a smaller device.
Yes, I've just bought a small Android tab.
But if I could have gotten a 7" Surface RT that didn't use the pain thresh-hold as a price-setting point, I'd have been onto it like a shot.
A bigger tablet (Surface or otherwise) isn't portable enough for my needs, I may as well take the laptop.

I'm neither a fanboi nor a hater. There are things I like about the OS, there are things I do not. But it's been that way with just about every OS I've ever used. No biggie, I just work around what I dislike.

Wenda.
Hooray, well said Wenda, just work around what you dislike, Microsoft is never going to please everyone, it's hard to please over a billion people. It's just as easy to use with a mouse and keyboard as Windows 7.

I always hated the Start Menu in previous Windows but I worked around it and never complained once on a forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Not at all. I have nothing whatsoever against the core OS and applaud Microsoft for improving on Windows 7 in that respect. What I don't like is the mandated UI, Metro/Modern/Start whatever it's actually called, the Mobile Phone Interface (MPI) in my vernacular.

If you've followed my posts, you will have observed the consistency in this respect and my disdain that the MPI has been foisted onto desktop users. That disdain is gathering momentum in the wider world, notably the interwebs, and is one of the singular consistent criticisms against Windows 8.

It doesn't matter whether one can install a third party program to defeat the MPI, it's the fact that Microsoft has deemed all of those traditional user's wishes as irrelevant, that's what is of concern. A number here promote the MPI as the equivalent of the second coming and if one disagrees with that you are tagged a heretic.

It's interesting to look back on history and see who were declared heretics at the time and how the world views them today. You and others might mock me now, but don't get overly comfortable.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Not at all. I have nothing whatsoever against the core OS and applaud Microsoft for improving on Windows 7 in that respect. What I don't like is the mandated UI, Metro/Modern/Start whatever it's actually called, the Mobile Phone Interface (MPI) in my vernacular.

If you've followed my posts, you will have observed the consistency in this respect and my disdain that the MPI has been foisted onto desktop users. That disdain is gathering momentum in the wider world, notably the interwebs, and is one of the singular consistent criticisms against Windows 8.

It doesn't matter whether one can install a third party program to defeat the MPI, it's the fact that Microsoft has deemed all of those traditional user's wishes as irrelevant, that's what is of concern. A number here promote the MPI as the equivalent of the second coming and if one disagrees with that you are tagged a heretic.

It's interesting to look back on history and see who were declared heretics at the time and how the world views them today. You and others might mock me now, but don't get overly comfortable.
This really is a battle for you isn't it Don Q.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Battle? With some of the opponents I have to contend with on this forum? It's said that you don't go to a gun fight with a knife, you guys are going to a gun fight with paper cuts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Battle? With some of the opponents I have to contend with on this forum? It's said that you don't go to a gun fight with a knife, you guys are going to a gun fight with paper cuts.

C'mon guys
This is getting a bit of a bore now -- ever heard of the "What happens when an Irresistable Force meets an Unmoveable Block".

Lets get back to Windows 8, and other relevant Ms stuff - I think most Forum readers know where you two are coming from.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi Jimbo,

It would appear that these two need each other, you know like the "Odd Couple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
More like Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty. I'm more the Moriarty and Bill's the 'No sh*t Sherlock?'

My Computer

System One

• OS
The new URL for the Eight Forums will be the "www.billwindows-ray8show.com. . .:D

BTW, yes I have read everything the two of you have written/posted, and thus I have learned a great deal though it will never be of any help. Albeit, it has been truly entertaining. . .:)

Also for those who are following this thread I would like to go off topic (as if I was on it) to say Samsung 500 GB SSDs have dropped below the $300.00 mark. Time to think about buying a couple. . .:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
The new URL for the Eight Forums will be the "www.billwindows-ray8show.com. . .:D

BTW, yes I have read everything the two of you have written/posted, and thus I have learned a great deal though it will never be of any help. Albeit, it has been truly entertaining. . .:)

Also for those who are following this thread I would like to go off topic (as if I was on it) to say Samsung 500 GB SSDs have dropped below the $300.00 mark. Time to think about buying a couple. . .:D

Hi there
I just got on my last visit to the UK TWO SAMSUNG 830 250 GB SSD's @ 99 GBP each == that's approx. 300 USD for the two. A 500 GB one will probably be my next purchase but I'm quite happy with a size of 250 GB. Once you start getting 500 GB disks on what *could be* untested technology then backing up that amount of data regularly carries its own problems. The 250 GB's have proved very robust out there in the field as have the older 128 GB's too.

What I'll probably wait for is to get a W8 tablet where I can swap the stupid 64 GB Disk for the 500 GB SSD when the price of both tablet and SSD drops further.

I'll expect this year we'll see 1 TB SSD's at under the 400 USD mark -- which was about the ORIGINAL price of 128 GB SSD's . !!!

One of the factors also in driving SSD's is the cost of getting Selenium (a "Rare Earth" material) from China --this material is used in the physical motor of traditional spinners and in generating STRONG magnetic fields required for operation of the "spinners". SSD's don't need this or any moving parts either so there is an incentive now to get SSD's as mainstream. Tablet devices also will want more storage - and the power consumption of SSD's is of course much lower than spinners too - and also less heat.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the info. Already have a SanDisk Extreme 240 GB in my main system (iMac), and a Intel 25 M 80 GB in my HP Win 8/Server as the OS drive. Being I live over 100 hundred miles from any major shopping city it will be a couple of months before getting a chance to pick one up (snowed another two feet in the last couple of days. Now over 300 inches for the year).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Right now the SSDs sell for appr. $1/GB. It will be a stretch to see 1TB SSDs for under $400 this year.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back