Sky Drive

nice way to spam people to boost your dropbox account size... ;)
It not only increases my dropbox account, but would also increase theirs as well. I saw your wink, and I think it would be questionable if I PM'd everybody in this forum rather than just putting the link in a post.

And I've posted my link before at sevenforums and here at eightforums and I don't think I have had a single person sign up using it.

alright, I was going to let you have your fun. But if you're going to make a fuss, what you're doing is what a lot of people do to try to boost their dropbox. I know you love your dropbox (as do I), but really, there's no point to stick to only 1 service when it's free. And then to ask a forum to boost your dropbox space when you supposedly only use 40 MB is kind of crazy...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I'm not making a fuss, I was simply stating that I didn't think that I was "spamming" the forum by including a single link in 1 post.

People are free to try and use whatever service they like. I stick with 1 because of some of the reasons that I mentioned previously. For example, SkyDrive is free, however I find it stinks that you cannot upload a folder using the Web components..you can only upload files. I would "like" to use SkyDrive since I have 25GB free to hold a secondary copy of all of my pictures at home, but they are sorted into tons of folders so the web upload won't work for me...but I don't want to upload these using the desktop app with the client sync because I don't want my 10GB of pictures replicated to all of my computers that might run the sky drive app....and as I mentioned previously....SkyDrive doesn't give me the ability to exclude folders on certain computers. So, trying to use SkyDrive doesn't work whatsoever for what I want to do.

Yes, I do only use 40MB at the present time with DropBox. Considering my limited free space, I cannot really use that to store my pictures either, as I would need at least 10GB of space. I've contemplated doing the 100GB plan which is $99 for a year...but I just have too many other bills and such at the present time to feel that the $99 is worth it. But if I could get my "free" space up to over 10GB, i might be able to use it for more of my stuff...hence the reason that getting boosted is advantageous.

I'm sorry my post upset you so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
this is not spamming, aside I find it interesting to know you can grow your storage for free.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Yes, I do only use 40MB at the present time with DropBox. Considering my limited free space, I cannot really use that to store my pictures either, as I would need at least 10GB of space. I've contemplated doing the 100GB plan which is $99 for a year...but I just have too many other bills and such at the present time to feel that the $99 is worth it. But if I could get my "free" space up to over 10GB, i might be able to use it for more of my stuff...hence the reason that getting boosted is advantageous.

I'm sorry my post upset you so.

it doesn't upset me that you're begging people to boost your dropbox storage. if you want to be a beggar, you have the right. I know RAs for dorms and IT managers for companies do much the same to people in their respective locations.

What bothers me is that you're posting false information. In addition, you tout the abilities of Dropbox that you get only if you pay for it. Yet, you're using the free version of Dropbox and are not paying for it when you implied that you did. I'm sorry that you're suffering for the limited space you have with the free version of Dropbox. Just because you're a fanboy of Dropbox doesn't mean you should be posting false information.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
dirtyvu , their is no need to insults peoples , I think PParks1 help enough peoples here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
What bothers me is that you're posting false information. In addition, you tout the abilities of Dropbox that you get only if you pay for it. Yet, you're using the free version of Dropbox and are not paying for it when you implied that you did. I'm sorry that you're suffering for the limited space you have with the free version of Dropbox. Just because you're a fanboy of Dropbox doesn't mean you should be posting false information.

Please share with me
1). The false information I am spreading
2). The features that I listed that are "only" available in the paid for version. The only ONE I mentioned, and I noted it was only in the paid account, was Pack Rat.

The features I listed, and am listing here again, are all in the free version.
1). Bandwidth Throttle
2). Selective folder sync
3). Local LAN transfer
4). Revision history
5). Client support for Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, iPhone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
dirtyvu , their is no need to insults peoples , I think PParks1 help enough peoples here.
I agree with that. dirtyve, this is a good forum. Whether or not you think that pparks1's post was unreasonable is not the point. I believe that if we feel someone posted something unreasonable, we should state our point in a more mature manner without stepping on one's toes. Wouldn't you agree that when we disagree, it's best to address the person in a way that we would like to be addressed?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
Here's a good synopsis on the various cloud services available.

Cloud storage: a pricing and feature guide for consumers | Ars Technica

cloud_storage_apps_3-4f99d74-intro.png

cloud_price-4f99f3c-intro.png

for those people who want complete privacy of their files, the best option is SpiderOak:

SpiderOak: Dropbox for the security obsessive | Ars Technica

Dropbox employees can still get file-level access to your data when they deem it necessary (for example, when complying with a request from law enforcement or a DMCA takedown request).
SpiderOak, on the other hand, tells users up front that it never knows a user’s password or encryption keys, preventing anyone at the company from accessing your data for any reason. Both Dropbox and SpiderOak encrypt user data on their servers using 256-bit AES encryption, but SpiderOak takes the extra step of encrypting the decryption key itself. This key can itself only be decrypted with the user’s password, which SpiderOak never knows (the full authentication process is laid out here).

The downside of this scheme is that your data is unrecoverable if you forget your password. But the upside is that you’re absolutely guaranteed security and privacy, a must for individuals and businesses that deal with sensitive data—such as Social Security numbers, financial data, and pretty much anything that schools keep on file about their students. Dropbox offers no such capability, and while some users have used extra software like TrueCrypt to add an extra layer of security to files uploaded to Dropbox, the company doesn’t officially support this solution—since, obviously, using TrueCrypt would also prevent easy file sharing and the use of the Dropbox Web client.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I don't see Google drive on the chart 5 gb for free

Google Drive is available for:

• PC and Mac
  • Chrome OS
  • iPhone and iPad
  • Android devices

and Ubuntu One
ubuntu.jpg

Amazon also offer 5GB for free

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Google Drive was in the chart. It's the 2nd one listed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I have mixed feelings about cloud computing although I do use Drop Box. Here's what bothers me: I'm 81 years old and I have data out there--somewhere. I don't know when my number's up--well none of us knows when our number is up. So I have all my data out there and no one else knows about it except me. They say that there is no such thing as a dumb question, but here's one that might come close. When happens when I die and I haven't deleted my data? Does it just stay there, or what???:think::think: I know it's a little bit of a funny question but I have always wondered about that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Memory
    8 GIG
that's an interesting question. I guess you will live on forever through your abandoned data... :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
that's an interesting question. I guess you will live on forever through your abandoned data... :p

Maybe if I go to Heaven, I can retrieve it. :DBut on the other hand---what if I don't?:eek: Seriously though, I wonder if after a certain period of time, if there has been no activity, it will be deleted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Memory
    8 GIG
here's an example of why Skydrive should go alongside your other cloud options. for the nice integration with Windows 8 and the third party apps. I was checking out PicTRO which is a third-party app that pulls pics from deviantART and then sending pics to skydrive:

[video=youtube;ns_UBe35qik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns_UBe35qik[/video]

I used Camtasia to record it which produced a terrible framerate. I really need to get FRAPS going on this machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Back