Solved Should I install 32GB of ram?

I don't want to break the party but I will never run 64 of non ECC RAM, I use only 16 GB on the PC of my signature ( even if I have 8 slots) because it's probably impossible to OC 64 GB of RAM and get stability, I have a VM server with 64 GB of ECC RAM , they run at 1066 as it's a server board with 4 CPU

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
My apps don't crash, the video or 3d renders, the computer is stable, etc. Performance seems fine, I'm not sweating the nanoseconds or the benchmarks. I threw some Prime95 at it and it did fine. Computer is a nice upgrade over my old i7-920 so I'm not even overclocking at this point. It's a desktop computer doing desktop things. It's not ECC and I'm not running a Xeon, nor an enterprise beyond small agency web and multimedia developer. Sure, I spent $100 vs. $800 or $400 on the ram (It was normally $180 but it was on sale, It's Corsair XMS3 1600MHz, not mega ultra premium, but not ram from the back of a van on the sidewalk either), but if there is a compromise in play, I'm not aware what it would be at this point.

I spent $900 total for this computer (already had a case and video card, so, $1200 if I had to buy everything this go round). A Mac Pro runs on outdated 2 year+ old hardware and I was not prepared to spend the $3000+ to basically get ECC ram, nor build an equivalent Windows machine just to get ECC ram.

I get the obsession, but don't really see how doubling my budget would get me double the performance over what I have now?

For kicks, and because I am interested, what are some good stress programs I can run to see what's up? I ran some Prime95 and it was fine, but I was mostly looking at the temps to make sure my thermal paste was applied decently.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64, OS X Mountain Lion, CentOS
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
    Memory
    32GB Corsair XMS
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS HD6950 2GB + Intel HD4000
    Sound Card
    built-in Via
    Monitor(s) Displays
    two Samsung SyncMaster XL2370, Sony 46" TV
    Screen Resolution
    HD 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 256GB boot, 1GB Western Digital Black, 3TB Hitachi, a pile of 1.5 and 2TB Seagates in differing states of near or impending failure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750
    Case
    Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212Evo + Artic Silver 5
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated (wired)
    Mouse
    whatever wired 1000dpi I have laying around, a bag full of dead Logitech LS21
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Business whatever they give me for $60/mo
RAM speeds as barely no impact on the performance, it's Marketing BS...... look at my spec, my ram are 1600 G-Skill , I think I pay $ 79 for it

Note that I64 GB of ram on my VM server not because I need it, but it's a burning test for them, so when I build a server I now the RAM are tested and reliable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
While that is your experience, try running Exchange 2013 or SCCM 2012 in a lab with a server running 512MB of RAM (or even 2GB). For example, the minimum requirements for Ex2013s CAS role is 8GB (yes, you read that right). If you want to actually test a production scenario out (not just your code, but the whole 3 tier app layer and the network that will sit around it and interact) will require more than 4GB of RAM ;).
Right, but most people who would be interested in these types of VM's probably wouldn't be running them on desktop machines either. Most of us, would have Hyper-V servers or ESXi servers with lots of RAM that we could use. My companies internal vSphere environment has 7 quad core servers, with 144GB of RAM in each and approx 60TB of SAN storage space including a 4TB SSD SAN.

My personal home computer has 8GB of RAM and that is enough for the things that I do. At work, my desktop has 16GB because I run VM's on it for testing and experimenting. I've never wanted more than that on a desktop or had a need. But I also don't run a lot of these 3d modeling apps and Adobe products either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Are we all billionaires today?

Ok, I found the receipt!
====================================
Account #5178940181
Invoice #48972059
Date April 17th, 1989
Qty ordered 1
Qty shipped 1

Item# SY 512-80-Expansion
Description 512K 80NS DRAM FOR AT COMPATIBLE
Unit Price 249.82
===================================

Any math geniuses out there?
Had I purchase 32 Gigs that day what would my total cost have been?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7-8 Dual Boot on a Commodore 64
My personal home computer has 8GB of RAM and that is enough for the things that I do. At work, my desktop has 16GB because I run VM's on it for testing and experimenting. I've never wanted more than that on a desktop or had a need. But I also don't run a lot of these 3d modeling apps and Adobe products either.

An example workflow with Adobe After Effects. I'm working on a 2 minute video. I do a ram preview to see what it's looking like. It renders the whole video in RAM at full size (or whatever size and res full/half/quarter). I watch the video a couple of times (ram is fast so I can play it back at full 30fps) and I see two immediate issues I want to go in and fix. I stop the ram preview and there is a green bar showing which part of the video is stored in the RAM. Say I render the whole 2 minutes to ram, I'd a have a green bar running along the whole 2 minutes. So, I dive into the timeline and go work on the video at the 1:30 to 1:45 segment, the green bar and the content is purged from the RAM cache for that 1:30 to 1:45 segment. I need ram to work, maybe jump into Photoshop and/or Illustrator for a second and then jump back into After Effects. Now want to see my new work, I only have to re-render the 1:30 to 1:45 segment if 0-1:30 and 1:45 to 2:00 was able to stay in RAM.

Also, I can stick unrendered comps between After Effects and Premiere and in my experience, that gobbles up some ram.

So, I don't know when I'm going to need the RAM, but I bet sometime between now and when I decommission this computer, I will be glad I made this decision now.

4 passes into IntelBurn Test on Maximum. Ram is 99% filled up. Temps are under 80c and things look pretty stable.

EDIT: Just dedicated 1GB to my Intel HD4000 in UEFI. I can run my TV off the integrated while I work on my other 2 screens off my video card. The missing 1GB is pretty negligible.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
    Memory
    32GB Corsair XMS
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    built-in Via
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    HD 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 830 256GB boot, 1GB Western Digital Black, 3TB Hitachi, a pile of 1.5 and 2TB Seagates in differing states of near or impending failure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
    Memory
    32GB Corsair XMS
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    built-in Via
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    HD 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair TX750
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I have 16GB in my laptop, and that just gets by running an ESXi VCP 5.1 lab...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
when you run so much VM in a Desktop, it's the time to build a ESXi or Hyper-V servers, I run everything on my Hyper-V servers except clients that I run in a desktop, clients that I use to experiment, I run rarely more than 2 at the time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
when you run so much VM in a Desktop, it's the time to build a ESXi or Hyper-V servers, I run everything on my Hyper-V servers except clients that I run in a desktop, clients that I use to experiment, I run rarely more than 2 at the time.

While I di agree with you, not everyone can afford to do so or really needs to do so. My ESXi lab is for a class I'm taking to get VMware certification. Thus, it's nice go have it on my laptop. Maybe someone needs a portable lab for work (for whatever reason) or simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
Why, when a desktop OS (Windows 8) already has a free desktop hypervisor (Hyper-V) built in, and can still be used otherwise as a desktop machine? It doesn't make a large amount of sense, from a small test / dev environment sense, to install a server-class OS to do this when the client OS is perfectly capable. If this was at scale, I'd say sure, but servers aren't very portable. Laptops with 32+GB of RAM are, conversely.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
Because I found it more practical to balance the load, wait tomorrow I will get some pics of my VM lab.... seems I'm not playing at the same level

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
1. 32GB was... $100. I remember when RAM delivery trucks used to get held up - ram cost more than gold. My first computer had 96MB of ram. Half of the cost was the computer. The other half was the RAM. $100 is pretty reasonable.

Ha! In the early 1980's my dad bought me a Radio Shack Color Computer. It came standard with 4MB of RAM, but for an extra $100 you could get the upgrade version with 6MB (not more... in total). It was in my parents basement for years, and when I went to retrieve it as a historic artifact, I found out my mom had thrown it out during the last basement cleaning. :-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell 8500
    CPU
    I7-3770
    Memory
    32GB Corsair Vengeance - 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 2TB Seagae Barracuda HHD
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7570
Back