Solved Should I buy Windows 8 or stick to Windows 7 HP?

Did you try the Windows 7 ISO provided by digital river? I believe your problems with activation are because you are using the OEM install disc provided by HP. AFAIK Microsoft allowed the ISO's to be released on digital river in order to circumvent this kind of problem. Note using these ISO's is also a good way of getting rid of the bloatware on new PC's hopefully they will release one for Windows 8.1 in the near future then I can get rid of all the VAIO crapware on my laptop.

I see this thread is marked as solved so if you don't read this before buying Windows 8 no worries, as I mentioned before I like it and I'm sure it will suffice for you too.
I made the pc, and bought an OEM Win 7 as I sold off my retail version. Bought the retail version during the preorder period-so it was cheap. Figured that when it came time to upgrade I could still use the OEM. Guess not.:)

Hi there
Download and install the ISO for win 8.1 if you want to get rid of all the crapware on the VAIO -- Win 8 even recognizes built in dual card reader if you are still using things like sony PRO DUO memory sticks. !!

Cheers
jimbo

If you replaced your OEM HP motherboard with a matching HP supplied motherboard a reinstall may fix your activation problem. Another option would be to use the product code on the COA sticker and activate by phone.

I did not replaced a matching board. I went from a socket 775 to a 1150 :p

HP = Home Premium. Sorry about that:D

Your original motherboard had an SLIC table in the BIOS. Your install media uses OEM-SLP activation against the BIOS SLIC table. If the replacement motherboard doesn't have the correct SLIC table in the BIOS the OEM-SLP activation fails. In that case you are supposed to purchase a new license, buy a new version of Windows.

Did you try the Windows 7 ISO provided by digital river? I believe your problems with activation are because you are using the OEM install disc provided by HP. AFAIK Microsoft allowed the ISO's to be released on digital river in order to circumvent this kind of problem. Note using these ISO's is also a good way of getting rid of the bloatware on new PC's hopefully they will release one for Windows 8.1 in the near future then I can get rid of all the VAIO crapware on my laptop.

I see this thread is marked as solved so if you don't read this before buying Windows 8 no worries, as I mentioned before I like it and I'm sure it will suffice for you too.
Well, it is an own build PC. So I'm guessing my rights are smaller compared if I was buying a premade pc.

Oh, HP= Home Premium, not Hewlett Packard :D. My bad. I bought a standalone OEM disc. Even if I tried the ISO, I still need a key, the key is still an OEM key.

Already bought and using Win8. Customized it to be as close to Win7 as possible.

Did you try a brand new clean install or did you just try to authenticate the same installation again (that was previously rejected)? I can only tell you that I've seen it done before (actual witness to the process) and, once it was a retail laptop and the other time it was a self build. SIW and alpanumeric have also provided other methods that might work. Again, there is nothing in the OEM license document that strictly forbids one from replacing the motherboard. Same for a hard drive. Example, what if you have an old motherboard that is manufacture discontinued. How can you ever get an exact replacement? How about if you have an old WD 40GB that goes south, should one scour the earth looking for an exact replacement? Both are components and the license document does not specifically cite/identify any difference between the two. Good luck.

It was a clean install. I do clean installs of my machine every 6 months- 1 year. Depending on situation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4570
    Motherboard
    Asus Z87i-Pro
    Memory
    G.Skill Value 8x2 GB