setup was unable to use the existing partition because it does not ...

I followed the steps move bootmgr using bcdedit. it worked.

what is difference between developer preview and consumer preview? they have different build number? any main difference/features? If I split my drive into 2 partitions put developer and consumer preview side by side, what will happen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7 64 bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    custome built
    CPU
    i7-2600k
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8GB
Forget the Developer Preview, the Consumer Preview is up-to-date...

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    17074 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP dv7 3173nr
    CPU
    M520
    Memory
    5GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Internet Speed
    120Mb/s
  • PC2
    HP A12 R7 17074
I followed the steps move bootmgr using bcdedit. it worked.

what is difference between developer preview and consumer preview? they have different build number? any main difference/features? If I split my drive into 2 partitions put developer and consumer preview side by side, what will happen?

See, things work and that is so easy. Forget the Developer Preview, why hang on to it. But you can run them side by side. And now you have plenty of room in C for additional BCDs.

I anyhow prefer to run these early distros in Virtual Box. That is so much more convenient for checking them out. And a lot faster too. Booting is 10 times faster (8 seconds) than on the system where I installed Win8 in a double boot setup. I am going to scrap that. It is too much of a pain - especially booting into Win7. Maybe I make an independent setup on another disk and switch the systems with the BIOS boot order.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
New User,

you cannot install Windows on a disk where the reserved partition still thinks there is a operation system on it.

You have to delete the reserved partition before installing Windows on it.
Or you can use WHS suggestion, that works also.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
New User,

you cannot install Windows on a disk where the reserved partition still thinks there is a operation system on it.

You have to delete the reserved partition before installing Windows on it.
Or you can use WHS suggestion, that works also.

Jeff

You cannot delete the system reserved partition just like that. If you do, your Windows7 will no longer boot. You have to move the bootmgr first - to a partition where you have enough room for additional BCDs. That is the easiest solution because increasing the size of the system reserved is not that simple - it is possible, but requires some gymnastics that the uninitiated better not attempt.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Interesting - I haven't had time to examine the Win8 installation process yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Interesting - I haven't had time to examine the Win8 installation process yet.

The problem I saw from a few guys seems to be that the Win8 BCD does not fit into the remainder of the space of the 100MB partition. It seems to be quite large. If you install Win8 stand-alone, the system reserved partitions is 300MB.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
True WHS,

but if you do, you can install Win8 CP, so you have a choice. Wen you delete the reserved partition, leave the Win7 on, create Win8 over another free partition, then you will end up with Win7 and Win8.

Have done this before

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
True WHS,

but if you do, you can install Win8 CP, so you have a choice. Wen you delete the reserved partition, leave the Win7 on, create Win8 over another free partition, then you will end up with Win7 and Win8.

Have done this before

Jeff
That you have to explain in a bit more detail. When you delete the reserved partition, you have to first move the bootmgr to some other partition (which is most likely a lot bigger than 100MB). Once that is done, there is no problem installing Win8 because you most likely have ample space for the Win8 BCD in that other partition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Disconnect disks 0,1 and 2 and try again. With that setup you get no double boot, but you change systems by changing the BIOS boot order.

I think you get this message because there is not enough space in your 100MB 'Z' partition. The Win8 BCD is pretty big and probably does not fit.

You could, of course, try to make Z bigger (e.g. 300MB). But that will require quite some gymnastics that you should only attempt if you feel comfortable with managing disks.

Another (easy) solution would be to move your bootmgr to C of Win7. Then there would be plenty of space. Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Forums

Thanks a lot for this information. I was about to struck my head against the wall as I was having this "Insufficient Disk Space" error eating my brain. I deleted a partition, re-partitioned, moved all data from one disk to another ( more than 50 GB). Re-partitioned it and still was unable to install.

Thanks for your really helpful post. Windows 8 is now being installed ... Very excited ..... :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
WHS,

you have your reserved partition, which tells you that you cannot install, let's say Win8, you can move this partition, but in my case (my reserved with Win8 on +Win8 CP is only 100 mb). I could not install Win8 over Win7 because the reserved partition did not let me.
So I deleted the reserved partition, to install Win8CP next to Win8RP (on another drive). The system created a new reserved partition and now I have on 1 drive Win8CP on the next Win8RP?
I did this to install Win8RP OVER Win7. on my other drive remains Win8CP.

So in your case you need Win8 next to Win7......Si if this does not work, do not shoot at me.

Before I deleted the reserved partition, this was only 100mb for both Win8CP and Win7.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
I am glad you got it sorted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I made an account just to say that whs' solution works, and thank-you very much.

I know I'm bumping the thread, but oh well. Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Thanks for the kind words.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives