Samsung confirms no Windows RT tablets for US

The company's decision is based in part upon feedback from retail partners, which suggested that such a product would be only modestly successful in the marketplace. Samsung also pointed to the lack of education about Windows RT, and suggested that it would require too much of an investment to properly inform consumers of the differences between it and Windows 8.

Samsung confirms no Windows RT tablets for US markets, blames tepid retail demand

and: Samsung Loses Interest in Windows RT Tablets, What About You? | Maximum PC

[
I'm pretty sure I know the difference between negative and positive although after reading that story of yours the other day I'm not so sure. Anyway you'll be happy to know that Scott Stein the Editor of Cnet is very happy with Surface Pro and Windows 8 and that is a big deal considering he is the epitome of an Apple Fanboy.

So maybe Windows 8 is not as bad as some of you claim.

Again, you completely miss the point of the post and associate a news topic about Samsung with reviews of the Microsoft Surface. I must have really screwed with your mind, for you to become so confused.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Sorry Ray I'd love to stay and chat but I've got to go out to watch the grass grow again, in the meantime enjoy the story about Surface Pro and Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
People joke around and say that Windows XP is (eXPired). I'm going to say that Windows RT is (ReTired).

That was genuinely good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Well I don't want Samsung in the US so FINE! :)

Windows RT isn't an overnight success and won't be, not until there's a decent app collection of the big names can it be totally considered a viable alternative to ios or android. Having said that, I'd still buy a Windows RT powered tablet over said competition. Right now, the target demographic of RT tablets are the people who already have a PC, but are looking into a tablet and seeing how limited an ipad is and iffy android is. Windows RT fits perfectly for the person that has some phablet needs, but other needs as well that the others don't fulfill. It also is for the high school/college student and casual user who generally will use a PC for Office software and printing. It does well for both.

Problem is however, OEMs. Six hundred dollars for a tablet running RT, 100 dollars more for a keyboard dock is a bit preposterous, may as well chuck a 100 dollars more and buy a Surface Pro or other PC. I just don't totally understand how an android tablet can go for 3-400 dollars with decent specs, but when RT gets loaded on it, the price is at least 600. The Surface RT is the least expensive RT tablet at 500, but the problem there is the distribution and the early lack of. What's also concerning is, that a company like Acer known for budget PCs, can't build a sub 500 dollar RT tablet. What the crap?

I have a feeling that Windows RT won't be hitting mainstream until a year from now when OEMs SOMEHOW get their crap together, or when the Surface RT is more flooded into the market, or when the use of Windows RT is better defined because as I see it, it's not well defined. It's not a dog of an OS, it has definitive use and works on the ARM platform that may or may not be taking off big time in the years to come.

Then again, the notion that netbooks and their 2-300 dollar prices did really gouge the PC market in such a way that a PC that can't run itunes on a 600 dollar device isn't worth it. Which brings up another question, why the bullocks are Atom based tablet PCs priced so high as well? I again, don't get how difficult it would be to take those old netbook motherboards, make a new chassis, and slap a 5-point touch screen on it and sell it for 400 dollars.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I think Samsung is looking at the situation in a sort of pragmatic way, suggesting that Windows 8 Pro is really where the market will be in the short and long term. A lot of people questioned the logic of introducing RT, rather than Pro, first off, when fundamentally, everyone associated Windows with an OS that ran everything. People are still apparently confused about RT.

Additionally, I think Samsung has also looked at the market and considered that they can produce a tablet that will run Pro for around the same price as RT. So why compete with yourself with a full version and a cut down version of Windows? They already have Android that will completely satisfy those who want nothing much more than a social networking device and they are doing very well in that market. So why not focus on a business tool with Windows?

What is really required to run Windows 8 Pro on a tablet? Not much more than a high res screen. I ran it on my Atom based tablet without any issues, other than having to do a registry tweak to get the native resolution up for the start menu icons to work. I could have foregone that completely and just ran the desktop without any problems in the tablet's native resolution.

Samsung isn't dumb and is why Apple sees them as such a threat, as they slowly overtake Apple's dominance in the smartphone/tablet environment. Maybe they see a big advantage in being a solid player in just the Windows 8 Pro tablet market?

It seems that Dell has taken this approach: Latitude 10 tablet details.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
It seems that Dell has taken this approach: Latitude 10 tablet details.

Actually they haven't taken the same approach, Dell also has the XPS 10 Windows RT tablet targeted to consumers. The Latitude 10, just like their Latitude laptops, are targeted at business. Samsung approach to RT has nothing to do with Windows RT itself, because of their success with Android phones and Tablets they are putting little resources to diversify with Windows. When Windows Phone 7 was released they were pretty active trying to get WP7 phones to market. Since they exploded with Android phones their Windows Phone efforts have been laughable, releasing one Windows Phone 8 device running in a Galaxy SIII chassis that was considerably delayed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Actually they haven't taken the same approach, Dell also has the XPS 10 Windows RT tablet targeted to consumers. The Latitude 10, just like their Latitude laptops, are targeted at business. Samsung approach to RT has nothing to do with Windows RT itself, because of their success with Android phones and Tablets they are putting little resources to diversify with Windows. When Windows Phone 7 was released they were pretty active trying to get WP7 phones to market. Since they exploded with Android phones their Windows Phone efforts have been laughable, releasing one Windows Phone 8 device running in a Galaxy SIII chassis that was considerably delayed.

I said '...Dell has taken this approach...', they are actually offering a wide variety of Windows 8 Pro tablets and, as far as I'm aware, there's only one RT tablet. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the RT altogether, considering the price difference isn't that great at the lower end.

Also, you've pretty much reiterated much what I said; Samsung doesn't need RT, as Android does much the same job and sales are high. But it's not going to overlook the business et al potential of Windows 8 Pro. Samsung hasn't gotten to where it is by making dumb business decisions.

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Back