return to 7

Rolling back to Windows 7 because of hardware issues makes sense. But that would be after making sure there aren't any fixes. Rolling back to 7 because you don't like the Start Screen is kinda silly. The desktop side of things is still "better" in 8 than 7, minus the annoyances - and you can get rid of the Start Screen by installing many 3rd party apps. So I don't quite get why people bother reverting for such trivial reasons.

Symbiont,

I understand the struggle. I went through a return-to-7 for a bit because I was having problems too. There is very much the feeling of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" with Windows 7 - it's really that good. On my 2nd go-around I'm finally getting the thing to settle down now. After a couple of weeks I finally crossed the line well enough to allow the backup system to overwrite my Win7 image with the Win8 one: I won't yet say that I don't still consider flipping back to it when some annoyance pops out of the woodwork, though I am getting close to the point where I won't turn back.

However, it does appear to be going pretty well now and I've "locked down" the configuration for now. I had a brief fight with a network issue yesterday and was able to figure out which Windows Update caused the trouble and get by it.

Like all major updates, this one is taking time for everybody to get settled down with it. I sure have had my fights with it but I'm hoping at this point to just move on with it. All my "stuff" seems to be working well enough now but it's been a bit of a fight.

I'm just glad to know I wasn't alone dealing with a back-and-forth issue on this one.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
By the way, i consider a laptop as a sofisticated typing machine, it is a laptop, but hardly a computer.

yeah, i know, let it come to me.

Jeff

Interesting observation. A lot of gaming laptops, such as made under the Alienware brand, are often far more powerful than most desktops.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
By the way, i consider a laptop as a sofisticated typing machine, it is a laptop, but hardly a computer.

yeah, i know, let it come to me.

Jeff

Interesting observation. A lot of gaming laptops, such as made under the Alienware brand, are often far more powerful than most desktops.

As is this one... Acer Ethos i7-2670QM Sandy-Bridge, 8G RAM, Geforce GT555M 2GB, 750G HDD, 18.5 full-HD (1080p) screen. Not QUITE up to Alienware specs, but not that far behind. And there is literally nothing it can't do. And yes, it does walk all over many desktop machines.

Back to topic, I won't be removing Windows 8 from this machine, but have done so on my other laptop as the CP expired. I don't have another product key for Windows 8 so have reverted to its original Windows 7 setup. It will probably get W8 at some stage in the future, though. There are some things about W8 that I'm not that happy with, but I can certainly live with, or work around them.
Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Rolling back to Windows 7 because of hardware issues makes sense. But that would be after making sure there aren't any fixes. Rolling back to 7 because you don't like the Start Screen is kinda silly. The desktop side of things is still "better" in 8 than 7, minus the annoyances - and you can get rid of the Start Screen by installing many 3rd party apps. So I don't quite get why people bother reverting for such trivial reasons.

For some of us its a "Why pay for something you don't like". If you are still running the consumer preview at some point your going to have to pony up or go back to your previous OS. Like I said, if you don't like it why pay more money to keep it? Also it may seem trivial to you but its no so trial to some people.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

That may be true for some people. It's also a pretty serious computing machine for those who need it. Like serious gamers. ;) But also for those who do development work, engineering work, etc. Even watching videos or processing audio or video disks takes some computing power. A lot more than just typing for some.

I funny statement I just read today in a ZDNet review of Chromebook: You can use a Chromebook to find videos of cats on YouTube. This proves it meets the needs of 99.9% of internet users worldwide.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"