Solved Recovery partition present but Windows can't find/use it

if you would put the two $PBR* files and the repartition.sp and resetconfig.xml in a zip file for me to compare..

because the two $PBR (Push Button Reset) file were written today.. and want to make sure they are correct for you

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
if you would put the two $PBR* files and the repartition.sp and resetconfig.xml in a zip file for me to compare..

because the two $PBR (Push Button Reset) file were written today.. and want to make sure they are correct for you

Sure, PM'd :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIndows 8.1
thank you..

You have to delete the two $PBR files from that recovery USB..
Then you can use that recovery USB to restore your factory images

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
It looks Perfect - except for those two $PBR files

if you want to experiment Rename that Custom.wim to Custom.wim.old
then reset your pc with the USB that should leave out any factory customizations

that way we can see what you have without it.. I assume it has the OEM drivers and bloatware in that custom wim

worst case you would have to reset again with the custom.wim so named..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
thank you..

You have to delete the two $PBR files from that recovery USB..
Then you can use that recovery USB to restore your factory images

Okay, will do. I'll let you know how it goes :)

I've successfully restored my device using the recovery partition. Drivers, bloatware etc. are all included. I couldn't of done it without your assistance, KYHI. I really appreciate you taking the time to help out :).

It looks Perfect - except for those two $PBR files

if you want to experiment Rename that Custom.wim to Custom.wim.old
then reset your pc with the USB that should leave out any factory customizations

that way we can see what you have without it.. I assume it has the OEM drivers and bloatware in that custom wim

worst case you would have to reset again with the custom.wim so named..

Now that I know I can restore the device if necessary I'm going to perform another recovery, but this time with the Custom.wim disabled as suggested. I'll let you know how it goes...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIndows 8.1
Now that I know I can restore the device if necessary I'm going to perform another recovery, but this time with the Custom.wim disabled as suggested. I'll let you know how it goes...

I gave this a go but unfortunately it didn't work. Windows 8.1 seemed to be installed but the screen showed a small "Windows Setup" window with loading wheel and then an error message "cannot find script file c:system.sav\util\tdctwks\hidecmd.vbs" then device then entered a boot loop. I assume this is some sort of installation/setup mode used by manufacturers to set their products up en masse.

I re-enabled the Custom.wim and restored back to factory settings again.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIndows 8.1
Back