Random rapid screen flicker

If your monitor supports it you might want to increase your Refresh rate one notch.

screenshot_38.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Good question. I got rid of the cordless phones last year. Only corded ob my desk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DellG2410

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Your detailed comments much appreciated Broe23...right now I have the computer/monitor on an extension cord plugged into outlet on other side of the house....if that works, than I believe the problem has to do with a subpanel located on south wall of house, and main panel is on the north side...the next step would be to get an electrician to check this out as you describe....

A computer/monitor on an extension cord plugged in on the other side of the house just screams at me.

Is this a very old house with limited electrical outlets? I believe the current electrical code requires an outlet every few feet; of course every state differs in requirements. If you're limited in electrical outlets, I believe I'd plug the computer into an actual outlet and use that extension cord for something else.

Also, I checked with Dell for your monitor and found this link: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-g2410/get-started I didn't go further, because it asks questions I don't know the answers to. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Wynona, when you are looking for problem branch circuits, an extension cord is going to come into play. That way you see if it is a outlet issue in that room that the computer & monitor is in, or if it is a hardware issue (ie computer or monitor). This is done all of the time to do troubleshooting, even by the pro's.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
I just had a couple of "shakers" this morning again with the computer and monitor plugged into the extension cord going to an outlet on the other side of the house. So it has happened now with three different outlets. I;m going to be getting an electrical person to look at this...since it is beyond my humble knowledge to fix this. it has happened now with two different computers. random shake, rattle, and roll....very disconcerting. The house is "old," built in 1953. And has a couple of subpanels in addition to the main panel. So a complex situation. Everything was fine and dandy until last fall when the monitor image shaking started....on the laptop I was using....then the laptop crashed in November...I replaced it with a desktop, and the problem continued....that's the ongoing saga....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    DellG2410
Wynona, when you are looking for problem branch circuits, an extension cord is going to come into play. That way you see if it is a outlet issue in that room that the computer & monitor is in, or if it is a hardware issue (ie computer or monitor). This is done all of the time to do troubleshooting, even by the pro's.

Yes, I understand electricity quite well and an extension cord "across the house" still screams at me. Is it one of those light-weight household jobbies or, is it one that will take a heavier load?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I just had a couple of "shakers" this morning again with the computer and monitor plugged into the extension cord going to an outlet on the other side of the house. So it has happened now with three different outlets. I;m going to be getting an electrical person to look at this...since it is beyond my humble knowledge to fix this. it has happened now with two different computers. random shake, rattle, and roll....very disconcerting. The house is "old," built in 1953. And has a couple of subpanels in addition to the main panel. So a complex situation. Everything was fine and dandy until last fall when the monitor image shaking started....on the laptop I was using....then the laptop crashed in November...I replaced it with a desktop, and the problem continued....that's the ongoing saga....

I know a bit about electricity and have done some wiring myself; however, when it comes to more than simple, I leave it to the pros too. I'm glad you're going to do that.

I guess the first thing I want to ask is if your computer is normally connected to an extension cord or if I've misunderstood what you said. If the computer is normally plugged into a wall connection, whoops! I misunderstood and apologize.

Another question is whether there have been renovations to the house in the past. If so, that could explain the sub panels. Also, if there were renovations, and they were done in the 1960s, it's possible (probably not likely) there's some aluminum wiring in your house. Aluminum wiring can cause all kinds of appliance failure (both small and large) besides computers. Have you had problems with anything else?

Have you had your computer connected to outlets from all three panels, one, two, all three? This could help you pinpoint where the electrician starts to troubleshoot; if you've used outlets from all three, then the most likely place to start would be the main panel that would feed the other two. If, say, only to the sub panels, then they would be the place to start. Electricians are expensive, and there are ways we laypersons can minimize the cost. :)

I just found this site, and it looks like I'll be going back to it a few times; not for electrical issues, but there seems to be a lot of good information for a DIYer! InspectAPedia.com - Diagnose & Fix Building & Indoor Environment Problems - Home

Good luck and I do hope there's no aluminum wiring in your house.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
The longer the cord the greater the wire gauge should be. This is so there is not a great deal of lose because of length.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
Wynona Inspectapedia is not a good site for a diy'r to go to. There is a lot of misinformation on that site.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

The longer the cord the greater the wire gauge should be. This is so there is not a great deal of lose because of length.

Absolutely!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Wynona Inspectapedia is not a good site for a diy'r to go to. There is a lot of misinformation on that site.

Really!? Seriously, I thought I'd made a great "find" when I stumbled across it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Really!? Seriously, I thought I'd made a great "find" when I stumbled across it.
It has some good information, and I do mean some. But not a site to be taken literal. I am a regular on diychatroom.com. There are regulars in there that are in the trades. I myself have been around electricity and electronics all of my life. My father was a Radio Man in the Air Force and a ESS-4 tech for the telephone company. You can pretty much state that technology and knowing how to read a schematic, along with programming is in his kids blood.

The only time we really reference Inspectipedia, is for the Panel info on the old Fed-Pac panels.

What the OP is doing, is how we would troubleshoot circuits in a home when I have to do work in my own home, or for someone else. We have also done that on board ship, when we would be within 50' of the junction box and needed to tone out a circuit.

As for the OP. Using an extension cord is what most of us sparky's will ask someone to do, to try and figure out if it is a panel issue, or a single branch circuit issue.

The problem with most older homes, is that they are all tied in on the same branch circuit. Kitchen's, Pantry's, Dining rooms can also be on the same circuit for the baseboard and lighting.

Now if you get into the really old homes that had only four, maybe six circuits. You really have to know how to troubleshoot in those setups.

I always look at the voltage at the outlet first, to see what I am getting. Then go to some other circuit that I know should be on another let, and take a measurement. If they are not correct, then I go to the panel and start checking at each individual circuit breaker or fuse, to see what the voltages are. Same with the two legs coming into the house.

If I find one leg out of whack, then I will monitor it for about a week or two and see what happens. If still out of whack, the Power company is getting a call to come to the house to pull the meter and check voltages.

The OP really needs to turn off the power to the various branch circuits, and pull light switches and outlets and check for "Backstabbing" along with incorrect grounds.

You would be surprised at what kind of fun workmanship is found in homes & even mobile/manufactured homes, after multiple people have lived in the structure.

It does not take long for bad connections to cause electronics to go bad. That is why I am a firm believer in using a whole house surge protection, along with a secondary layer of surge protection. Either a UPS with Surge protection, or a surge strip.

I went as far in my place, and placed both our furnace and power-vent water heater on a surge outlet. Especially since they both have electronics in them and they cost more then I make in a month, if I had to replace them, due to a power surge.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Other Info

Back