Solved PSU dying? (Video)

Can you believe in this? I've installed windows 7 on SSD (fresh install), and it has done the prime 95 blend test for more than 1 hour, then I started to hear some sparking noises again, and it powered down. That's very weird. BTW, I got a multimeter and the PSU is giving the correct voltages. but I don't know how to check the chokes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 - 3X1GB + 3X2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX750 Ti OC 2GB
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 840 PRO
    1x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    1x WD Green 2TB
    PSU
    Zalman Goldrock 550W
So your input voltages are right, that leaves MB than ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I believe that VRM module is damaged and therefore converting voltage into more voltage than accepted, it cannot regulate voltage properly and then it makes the MB overvoltage protection to kick in. The prime95 test can last 1 hour, or just 1 minute, it varies, I keep stressing the CPU to see what's the outcome (smoke or burned components), I have to buy new MoBo and CPU (a more recent socket like 1150 instead of this not very nice 1366 which is obsolete) anyway, there's nothing I can do apparently. I can only use the PC for light duty, like internet or check emails, I cannot do any gaming or it will become unstable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX750 Ti OC 2GB
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 840 PRO
    1x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    1x WD Green 2TB
    PSU
    Zalman Goldrock 550W
UPDATE: I have reverted everything back to the SSD, windows 8.1 rolling again and I'm powering the other 2 HDDs using the 2nd PSU, just in case the MoBo shuts down too many times... at least it won't affect the drives. I've been running prime95 for 2 hours and it's been stable, no weird noises, no power downs. I wonder if there is something wrong with the PSU (even considering it's brand new it may be defective), sometimes as I switch it off it emits a sparking sound (please see video, it's similar to that) like an electric discharge, now I don't know if this is normal or it is some of the capacitors discharging. Please notice it does not always do that, however if it keeps doing that I will film a short video and send it to Zalman. The good thing is that this PSU has a 5 year warranty.

[video=youtube;-E3Gf3q8fQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E3Gf3q8fQU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I am using my old GPU for now, tomorrow I will fit the GTX750 and will try to do some gaming, I will post the results.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX750 Ti OC 2GB
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 840 PRO
    1x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    1x WD Green 2TB
    PSU
    Zalman Goldrock 550W
The way I see or hear it,that discharge happens,cause you are switching real slow,would and will happen to any psu,not to mention any switch used like that,so no worries.
Good think you are backing up your OS,I still think its a motherboard issue,really dont like them reports about X58,give it shot swapping all your components to another board,hang in there...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home...made ®
    CPU
    Intel i7 2600k
    Motherboard
    GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 4x4Gb 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II SLI
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron W2240S PN
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra Plus SATA 3 128GB X2

Western Digital Caviar Blue 2x1TB + WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU
    Corsair RM 850 X
    Case
    Chieftec Dragon
    Cooling
    Thermalright Macho HR-02
    Keyboard
    Ivation mechanical backlit
    Mouse
    MS Optical 6000
    Internet Speed
    24 Mbps
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    ESET NOD32 8.0.312.0
Yes, that sounds like sparking within the switch, either slow push so it hangs a bit and spark jumps between contacts or it is slow to react. Seen some spectacular sparking with large switches in subway, when a knife switch is being turned on and specially when turned off, it throws a meter long arc between contacts and sounds like a hand grenade exploding. Some PSUs have a 0.47pF capacitor across the switch to soak up that spark. A transformer, on the other hand can make a "thunk" noise when energized, depending on it's size and loading. Large fans can also make slight buzzing sound while it picks up speed too. Similar sounds can be heard when turning on fluorescent or mercury lights. All of that gets exaggerated when there's a lot of moisture in the air.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
That's not my PSU, the full story is here: PSU switch spark sound : Antec

BTW, I've been paying attention to this: When I shutdown the machine and switch off the PSU, the blue LED on the MoBo stays on for a few seconds (which is normal), then it goes off and then it comes on again for 1 second and the phase LEDs (red, yellow and green) flick. Then it goes off completely. This does not happen at all times. I really hope that the PSU is not faulty.

UPDATE: As soon I got home today, I've turned the PC on and performed first the Intel test (passed), and then some blended prime95, absolutely no problems! Even the CPU whine caused by the C1E is much lower than before, I can barely hear it. Let's see how it goes in the next few days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX750 Ti OC 2GB
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 840 PRO
    1x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    1x WD Green 2TB
    PSU
    Zalman Goldrock 550W
FINAL UPDATE: I've just stressed CPU + RAM + GPU + HDD at the same time with HeavyLoad software, everything is running stable, played some A3 with GTX750Ti on OC mode and attempted to record on the fly with shadowplay for 5 minutes, no problems at all so far. Steps I've taken before fitting MoBo back to the case before it actually started to work perfectly:

1 - As you may know I've removed the MoBo to clean it up and find anything unusual. After trying it out of the case it wasn't working properly so I assumed I had run out of options here other than just get rid of the MoBo, sell the CPU and buy a new combo LGA1150.

2 - I have tested the PSU with a multimeter, the values are perfect and no fluctuations at all, so I've decided to search for some info about the VRM, especially MOSFET's.

3 - I've seen a tutorial of how to test a MOSFET resistance, so I've just gave it a try, the MoBo was practically unusable, but I was willing to fit it again onto the case and stress it to the point where it would smoke. Ok, so I've just tested the MOSFET's to measure the resistance and I had values on all of them but they were very different from each other.

4 - It can be just a coincidence but it makes me believe that some static electricity was storaged inside of one or more MOSFETs and it was discharged when I touched the probes on the pins.

5 - Please notice just for future reference, I am NOT sure if the MOSFET's were the real problem, all I know is that after I've tested them and attached the MoBo back to the case it started working perfectly just like that, magic and weird at same time!

I will mark this thread as solved as I ran out of options here, unless some other symptom comes up, I won't hopefully come back to this thread.

Many Thanks everyone:thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX750 Ti OC 2GB
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 840 PRO
    1x Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    1x WD Green 2TB
    PSU
    Zalman Goldrock 550W
I was hesitant to bring it up before but sometimes a crack in MB could develop and could make intermittent problems. They might be too small or in between several layers MB is made of.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro