Oh jeez, I bought an Apple product

Just like Brittany Spears, "Ooops, I did it again". Bought Wife an iPad at Xmas, bought myself a MacBook Pro in March and just bought my 7 year old son an iPad mini for his birthday. Shocking year, 2014.

Tsk, tsk, tsk; keep that up and you might get banned! ;)

I wouldn't be without my ipads and I've not seen a laptop yet that is as nice as my macbook air (running windows 8.1.1).

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    i9
I wouldn't be without my ipads and I've not seen a laptop yet that is as nice as my macbook air (running windows 8.1.1).

I always keep telling Coke Robot Windows 7 and 8 run better on Macbooks than on machines made for Windows hahaha. I have four clients with Macbooks running Bootcamp with at least Windows 7, the owners all like being able to choose Mac or Windows, and each of those Macbooks have been fairly low-maintenance

I have something for you, I was running iOS 7.0.6 until this new Pangu jailbreak came out - A lot of stuff has been changed from 7.0.6 to 7.1.2, so it has taken me a month to get my tweaks sorted. Many of them still need to be updated for the new iOS and for the upcoming iOS 8.

I have heard Rumours that when iOS 8 comes out, there may be a "snap" function that allows two apps to be running on the Springboard. This feature was not mentioned in their iOS 8 Keynote, so if they do it , it may be when iOS 8.1 comes out. Under iOS 7.1.2, I can use the tweak "OS Experience" to create an unlimited number of desktops that can snap two apps, but it is not limited to the Snap feature. There is no limit the number of open app windows you can have floating free. Here then is my iPad Mini, acting a lot like a Macbook:

[video=youtube_share;07LYKBkfZn8]http://youtu.be/07LYKBkfZn8[/video]

(Crap! I tried to cut off that end part, it didn't work)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
While i do love the magnetic charging port, I wish that it was a bit more firmly attached. I find it comes out way too easily.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Yea most people think apple products are just a status symbol but my view is if they work it's a nice symbol to have ;)
Looking at Microsoft stuff now and Apple's looking pretty good os aside,
Stability goes a long ways in portable devices and desktops for that reason :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win-7-8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer fresh install
    Memory
    4 gig's
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer / Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1600-900/ 1600-1200
    Antivirus
    MSE/ MBAM Pro/ SAS Pro

I always keep telling Coke Robot Windows 7 and 8 run better on Macbooks than on machines made for Windows hahaha. I have four clients with Macbooks running Bootcamp with at least Windows 7, the owners all like being able to choose Mac or Windows, and each of those Macbooks have been fairly low-maintenance

I have something for you, I was running iOS 7.0.6 until this new Pangu jailbreak came out - A lot of stuff has been changed from 7.0.6 to 7.1.2, so it has taken me a month to get my tweaks sorted. Many of them still need to be updated for the new iOS and for the upcoming iOS 8.

I have heard Rumours that when iOS 8 comes out, there may be a "snap" function that allows two apps to be running on the Springboard. This feature was not mentioned in their iOS 8 Keynote, so if they do it , it may be when iOS 8.1 comes out. Under iOS 7.1.2, I can use the tweak "OS Experience" to create an unlimited number of desktops that can snap two apps, but it is not limited to the Snap feature. There is no limit the number of open app windows you can have floating free. Here then is my iPad Mini, acting a lot like a Macbook:

[video=youtube_share;07LYKBkfZn8]http://youtu.be/07LYKBkfZn8[/video]

(Crap! I tried to cut off that end part, it didn't work)
Duh! :D That's been actually found out a while ago, the reason being is that it requires a clean install of Windows 8.1.1 whereas OEMs stick their crapware onto those systems and causes lag. Whenever I know someone that got a new Windows PC, I always offer to rewipe them and install squeaky clean and tuned Windows. They always end up running better than a mac with bootcamp! ;)

How ironic is it that when steve jobs revealed the ipad, its primary function and still to this day is just a mere internet appliance but when a rival OS proves that the form factor can't be simply relegated as an internet appliance; they decide to mimic functions of that rival OS. Even more ironic, if ios 8.1 does in fact have the app snap function native to Windows since 2009, it would so funny because Windows 8.1 improved the app snap feature over 8.0.

Also, this whole movement started by Microsoft of minimalist digital design does make apple look old. They're not trying to catch up to apple anymore or compete with them, they've reversed the situation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
While i do love the magnetic charging port, I wish that it was a bit more firmly attached. I find it comes out way too easily.

I don't have that problem with my Surface tablet's magnetic charger, nor my Nokia Lumia's wireless charger. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
They always end up running better than a mac with bootcamp! ;)
How many mac's with Bootcamp have you set up recently on modern Apple hardware?

Also, this whole movement started by Microsoft of minimalist digital design does make apple look old. They're not trying to catch up to apple anymore or compete with them, they've reversed the situation.
i know more people who have switched from Windows to Apple who have been happier than most people who have moved from XP or 7 to 8.

I don't have that problem with my Surface tablet's magnetic charger, nor my Nokia Lumia's wireless charger. ;)
Yeah, the primary issue with the surface charger is that you have to disconnect the pen/stylus from the magnetic port.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
They always end up running better than a mac with bootcamp! ;)
How many mac's with Bootcamp have you set up recently on modern Apple hardware?

i know more people who have switched from Windows to Apple who have been happier than most people who have moved from XP or 7 to 8.

Yeah, the primary issue with the surface charger is that you have to disconnect the pen/stylus from the magnetic port.
Enough to know that the cost of buying a mac and then installing Windows through bootcamp isn't worth the time, money, nor effort when there are better Windows PCs out there.

Subjective, as I know more people that are quant with Windows 8.1 and don't even consider a mac. But even still, if some people are using Windows xp PCs, they probably can run Windows 8.1.1 on that same PC. If they had a mac, they would need to throw it away into the trash bin. Or, they could run bootcamp on it and run Windows and still be able to run whatever version regardless.

I can tell you haven't read up on the Surface Pro 3 as that problem is solved with a pen loop you can attach to a type cover or the Surface itself. Even still, you can buy an extra for whatever generation of Surface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Enough to know that the cost of buying a mac and then installing Windows through bootcamp isn't worth the time, money, nor effort when there are better Windows PCs out there.
That doesn't seem like a real quantitative answer. That seems like a deflection with an emotional response that no matter what, Apple computers are just far too expensive. Show me a Windows laptop, with 7+ hour battery life, a screen resolution in the range of 2560x1600, that practically instantly sleeps and instantly wakes up from sleep, with a PCI-Express controller giving nearly 750MB/sec on an SSD, that weighs 3.5lbs or less made of aluminum that is substantially better/faster for far less cost.

I just find it funny that for those who have done bootcamp on their MacBooks, say it's the best running Windows computer they have ever owned, and those who probably have actually never done it simply know that it's not worth the time, money or effort.

I can tell you haven't read up on the Surface Pro 3 as that problem is solved with a pen loop you can attach to a type cover or the Surface itself.
Of course I've read up on the device, I watched the entire press conference on release, I've made numerous posts on this forum about potential of this device. I've even been looking at the potential to buy one of these devices for the company that I work for.

The pen loop comes with the type cover...which of course isn't something that everybody will buy. It's a self stick adhesive so you can put it on whatever you want, including the Surface. When the adhesive gives way and you lose it, it's only $5 to replace the pen loop. Of course, if you lost your pen with it, well that's another $50.

I've just been disappointed with every release of the Surface Pro (including the Generation 1 that I happen to have), not having an integrated pen holder. Especially the new Surface Pro 3 where writing on the device has gotten substantially better, but you have to be very careful to ensure that your pen doesn't come unattached and lost.

Even still, you can buy an extra for whatever generation of Surface.[/QUOTE]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
That doesn't seem like a real quantitative answer. That seems like a deflection with an emotional response that no matter what, Apple computers are just far too expensive. Show me a Windows laptop, with 7+ hour battery life, a screen resolution in the range of 2560x1600, that practically instantly sleeps and instantly wakes up from sleep, with a PCI-Express controller giving nearly 750MB/sec on an SSD, that weighs 3.5lbs or less made of aluminum that is substantially better/faster for far less cost.

I just find it funny that for those who have done bootcamp on their MacBooks, say it's the best running Windows computer they have ever owned, and those who probably have actually never done it simply know that it's not worth the time, money or effort.

I can tell you haven't read up on the Surface Pro 3 as that problem is solved with a pen loop you can attach to a type cover or the Surface itself.
Of course I've read up on the device, I watched the entire press conference on release, I've made numerous posts on this forum about potential of this device. I've even been looking at the potential to buy one of these devices for the company that I work for.

The pen loop comes with the type cover...which of course isn't something that everybody will buy. It's a self stick adhesive so you can put it on whatever you want, including the Surface. When the adhesive gives way and you lose it, it's only $5 to replace the pen loop. Of course, if you lost your pen with it, well that's another $50.

I've just been disappointed with every release of the Surface Pro (including the Generation 1 that I happen to have), not having an integrated pen holder. Especially the new Surface Pro 3 where writing on the device has gotten substantially better, but you have to be very careful to ensure that your pen doesn't come unattached and lost.

Even still, you can buy an extra for whatever generation of Surface.
[/QUOTE]

Well, a Surface Pro 3 with type cover is a splendid option, of course the SSD isn't as fast but that's almost splitting hairs. $900 for the base model.

This one's a cheat by two measures, screen resolution and price and the fact it's a previous gen, but the VIZIO CT14-A4 14-Inch Thin + Light ultrabook. Can be bought for $540.

Barely meets the requirements but a few ounces, the Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T. Starts at $1,200

This one takes the cake and of course from my preferred lovely brand of ASUS, the Zenbook UX303LA-DB51T touch ultrabook. Base price is at $899, and can go up to $1,227.97 if you go with an i7, 12 gigs of RAM, 256 gig SSD (can't tell you the speed), an NVIDIA GTX840M with 2 gigs of VRAM displaying out to a 13.3" Quad-HD touchscreen display at 3200 x 1800 resolution and can last a good 8 hours. All in all weighs in at 3.2 pounds. What a beast! A slim, well built, very reasonably priced Windows touch based PC mind you that I would LOVE to do a clean install of Windows 8.1.1 with! :D

The closest thing like that from apple will have to be 15 inch macbook pro and 16 gigs of RAM since they only have 8 or 16 to choose from, no in between options as per usual. This will run you about $2,199. But at least you have a PCIe based SSD? If you stuck with the 13 inch retina display macs, closest comparison is $1,399 but this lacks the i7 processor, only 128 gigs of SSD storage and only 8 gigs of RAM with Intel Iris graphics, meh.

At least the Surface Pros come with a pen. ;) I joke, but it doesn't seem like it's that much of a big deal if they have yet to do much about it three gens later. If losing the pen was a mass problem, the Pro 2 would have fixed that.

Honestly, I've never said apple makes crappy hardware or anything like that, they do make real solid hardware. That's been what makes the apple name is their hardware (with some exceptions here and there, like the iphone, horribly overbuilt). Their software is utter shite however. I wouldn't be against taking a mac and making it into a Windowtosh PC. I do hear however, the macs have the best touchpads that have some nice gesturing capabilities with mac os. But what do I care for them? All those fancy gestures the touchpad was designed for are as useful as a box of paper clips.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hi there

If it works and is fit for purpose - what's wrong in using it -- same deal as I have with the Surface pro 3 -- expensive but suits me down to the ground.

The cheapest options aren't always the best -- and even if buying more expensive kit isn't the best bang for buck --if it's for YOU so what if you can afford it and like the device --you aren't placing an order for 150,000 of these for a world wide large company.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
This one's a cheat by two measures, screen resolution and price and the fact it's a previous gen, but the VIZIO CT14-A4 14-Inch Thin + Light ultrabook. Can be bought for $540.
Yes, now that you can get one for about $450 less than it used to retail for, it's an attractive and cheap option. The keyboard gets tons of complaints and Vizio quality right now is a big unknown. They have a little ways to go with their drivers and such, apparently they are all EXE's you have to install and then they all show up in Add/Remove programs for each and every one.

Barely meets the requirements but a few ounces, the Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T. Starts at $1,200
Right, so it's right in the territory of Apple computers that people say are way overpriced. That's my point is that when you get close to the same spec of hardware price is about the same. A 13" rMBP starts at $1300.

This one takes the cake and of course from my preferred lovely brand of ASUS, the Zenbook UX303LA-DB51T touch ultrabook. Base price is at $899, and can go up to $1,227.97 if you go with an i7, 12 gigs of RAM, 256 gig SSD (can't tell you the speed), an NVIDIA GTX840M with 2 gigs of VRAM displaying out to a 13.3" Quad-HD touchscreen display at 3200 x 1800 resolution and can last a good 8 hours. All in all weighs in at 3.2 pounds. What a beast! A slim, well built, very reasonably priced Windows touch based PC mind you that I would LOVE to do a clean install of Windows 8.1.1 with! :D
That is a nice laptop.

The closest thing like that from apple will have to be 15 inch macbook pro and 16 gigs of RAM since they only have 8 or 16 to choose from, no in between options as per usual.
Yeah, in between 8 and 16 isn't something that most computers come with. Always wished Apple had more system configuration options. They are very much into 1 size should fit all. That has it's pros and cons.

At least the Surface Pros come with a pen. ;) I joke, but it doesn't seem like it's that much of a big deal if they have yet to do much about it three gens later. If losing the pen was a mass problem, the Pro 2 would have fixed that.
Yes, getting the pen in the box on the pro is nice. I'm always checking to be sure that I still have my pen with my Gen 1. I do use the pen a fair amount as the 1920x1080 screen can get downright small. Unfortunately, I don't write much with the pen.

Honestly, I've never said apple makes crappy hardware or anything like that, they do make real solid hardware. That's been what makes the apple name is their hardware (with some exceptions here and there, like the iphone, horribly overbuilt). Their software is utter shite however. I wouldn't be against taking a mac and making it into a Windowtosh PC. I do hear however, the macs have the best touchpads that have some nice gesturing capabilities with mac os. But what do I care for them? All those fancy gestures the touchpad was designed for are as useful as a box of paper clips.
I don't find OSX bad. I've been quite happy with it. I don't use a lot of the other Apple software. But things like iPhoto is a lot better than what Windows comes with my default. You cannot customize it much, but I'm fine with that. I just want to pick up the computer, use it and put it down. I work with computers all day at work, I'm getting further and further away from at home tinkering. Gesture support is great, I use a lot of them. The touchpad on my Mac is far better than any PC I've ever used. The thing I love more than anything, instant sleep and instant wake up. That's why I really like my Mac. I pull it out, hit 2 or 3 forums, and close the lid. It lasts for days. With that said, I'm not switching to Apple for everything. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. I'm happy with my purchase, but I'm not a diehard fan.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Yes, now that you can get one for about $450 less than it used to retail for, it's an attractive and cheap option. The keyboard gets tons of complaints and Vizio quality right now is a big unknown. They have a little ways to go with their drivers and such, apparently they are all EXE's you have to install and then they all show up in Add/Remove programs for each and every one.

Right, so it's right in the territory of Apple computers that people say are way overpriced. That's my point is that when you get close to the same spec of hardware price is about the same. A 13" rMBP starts at $1300.

That is a nice laptop.

Yeah, in between 8 and 16 isn't something that most computers come with. Always wished Apple had more system configuration options. They are very much into 1 size should fit all. That has it's pros and cons.

Yes, getting the pen in the box on the pro is nice. I'm always checking to be sure that I still have my pen with my Gen 1. I do use the pen a fair amount as the 1920x1080 screen can get downright small. Unfortunately, I don't write much with the pen.

I don't find OSX bad. I've been quite happy with it. I don't use a lot of the other Apple software. But things like iPhoto is a lot better than what Windows comes with my default. You cannot customize it much, but I'm fine with that. I just want to pick up the computer, use it and put it down. I work with computers all day at work, I'm getting further and further away from at home tinkering. Gesture support is great, I use a lot of them. The touchpad on my Mac is far better than any PC I've ever used. The thing I love more than anything, instant sleep and instant wake up. That's why I really like my Mac. I pull it out, hit 2 or 3 forums, and close the lid. It lasts for days. With that said, I'm not switching to Apple for everything. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. I'm happy with my purchase, but I'm not a diehard fan.

The one Asus, the Zenbook Prime touch, it weighs a bit more but it has a 10 point capacitive touchscreen in that cost. Without it, it'd probably be more $900-$1,000. The question becomes do you want touch, or a quad HD display? apple seems like they finally realized they have a reputation for pricy hardware and have adjusted it them down because a few years ago, starting price for a mac was about $1,200 for base line specs. Doesn't help that now PC OEMs are making higher end hardware and driving prices up and not always delivering quality (TOSHIBA!!).

That's interesting you've once gone from not liking Windows 8 for that fact it didn't allow much customization, as well as putting down the notion that touch gestures on a touchpad or mouse is completely redundant to use to being ok with very minute customizations and appreciating touch gestures..... All from one apple product. :shock:

You should try out some Windows 8 PCs one of these days. ;):p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hi there

If it works and is fit for purpose - what's wrong in using it -- same deal as I have with the Surface pro 3 -- expensive but suits me down to the ground.

The cheapest options aren't always the best -- and even if buying more expensive kit isn't the best bang for buck --if it's for YOU so what if you can afford it and like the device --you aren't placing an order for 150,000 of these for a world wide large company.

Cheers
jimbo

Exactly well put. Not everyone wants or needs high end nor care for build quality. Some care if it works well, some care if it has different features. That's what makes the PC greater than the mac in my mind, there's something to meet the individual's personal computing needs, not what one manufacturer says they need.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The question becomes do you want touch, or a quad HD display?
Personally, I don't care for touch at all. So, I would happily skip that. I skipped it on my Mac. The quad HD display probably wouldn't be greatly appealing either. I don't really care for the auto scaling built into 8, I prefer to run my monitor at it's standard resolution so something in the 1920x1080 realm would probably suit me better. I don't run the rMBP in Retina mode because it looks like 1280x800 (since it's just pixel doubled to 2560x1600). I run it at 1680x1050. It's a little less crisp and sharp, but so much more on the screen and I'll gladly take that trade-off.

That's interesting you've once gone from not liking Windows 8 for that fact it didn't allow much customization, as well as putting down the notion that touch gestures on a touchpad or mouse is completely redundant to use to being ok with very minute customizations and appreciating touch gestures..... All from one apple product. :shock:
Not the whole story. I didn't like fact that you couldn't opt to have a classic style start if you wanted it. I didn't like that you couldn't set the background image of the start screen...some of these things that they have caved on and added support for in 8.1 and 8.1 update 1. I still don't use gestures hardly at all with Windows 8, but it's probably because I don't use the Start Screen, I don't use the Charms bar, etc. With the MacBook, I mostly use the 2 finger scroll in browser, the left and right side swipe to go forward and back in the browser and the pinch to zoom features and spin rotate features.

My wife has a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop. My kids have a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop. I have a non-touchscreen Windows 8.1 Update 1 laptop at work. And I've purchased approx 20 new laptops for my office, all running some variant of Windows 8 that I've installed, and deployed to my coworkers. Not to mention, I have about 5 Acer All-in-One systems running 8.1 that we send out to tradeshows. I also have 2 Dell XPS18's running Windows 8.1 that also go to tradeshows. And then I have my Surface Pro Gen 1 running 8.1 at my desk at work.

The above is actually the primary reason that I went with a Mac at home. I'm a bit tired and bored of Windows. Just wanted something different to play around with. The thought of buying another Windows 8 laptop for my own personal use was just....meh. The MacBook Pro has been a good learning experience. And it's the machine i now use 98% of the time at home. I rarely pull out my work Windows 8 laptop anymore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
The question becomes do you want touch, or a quad HD display?
Personally, I don't care for touch at all. So, I would happily skip that. I skipped it on my Mac. The quad HD display probably wouldn't be greatly appealing either. I don't really care for the auto scaling built into 8, I prefer to run my monitor at it's standard resolution so something in the 1920x1080 realm would probably suit me better. I don't run the rMBP in Retina mode because it looks like 1280x800 (since it's just pixel doubled to 2560x1600). I run it at 1680x1050. It's a little less crisp and sharp, but so much more on the screen and I'll gladly take that trade-off.

Not the whole story. I didn't like fact that you couldn't opt to have a classic style start if you wanted it. I didn't like that you couldn't set the background image of the start screen...some of these things that they have caved on and added support for in 8.1 and 8.1 update 1. I still don't use gestures hardly at all with Windows 8, but it's probably because I don't use the Start Screen, I don't use the Charms bar, etc. With the MacBook, I mostly use the 2 finger scroll in browser, the left and right side swipe to go forward and back in the browser and the pinch to zoom features and spin rotate features.

My wife has a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop. My kids have a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop. I have a non-touchscreen Windows 8.1 Update 1 laptop at work. And I've purchased approx 20 new laptops for my office, all running some variant of Windows 8 that I've installed, and deployed to my coworkers. Not to mention, I have about 5 Acer All-in-One systems running 8.1 that we send out to tradeshows. I also have 2 Dell XPS18's running Windows 8.1 that also go to tradeshows. And then I have my Surface Pro Gen 1 running 8.1 at my desk at work.

The above is actually the primary reason that I went with a Mac at home. I'm a bit tired and bored of Windows. Just wanted something different to play around with. The thought of buying another Windows 8 laptop for my own personal use was just....meh. The MacBook Pro has been a good learning experience. And it's the machine i now use 98% of the time at home. I rarely pull out my work Windows 8 laptop anymore.

Hi there

I used to think I didn't like touch - but the Surface Pro 3 has rather changed my opinion of Touch. When I'm using the SP3 connected to a large external Docking station - I love using the Pen on the SP3 when in PHOTOSHOP etc. Displaying the output on the LARGE screen while using the pen on the SP3 itself is brilliant.

I find also using TOUCH on the SP3 screen for instance to switch LAYERS in Photoshop or even to switch worksheets in an EXCEL workbook or switch applications / pages in IE etc is extremely convenient - use the small screen for Touch while projecting the applications on to the BIG screen.

Used IN CONJUNCTION with a mouse and keyboard makes touch a really powerful tool. I agree otherwise with pparks1 in that I wouldn't like to use Touch ALONE in if I only had a single screen a Mouse and keyboard is still my preferred option.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB