Solved Nvidia GFX Card 630GT Windows 8 x64 Artifacts

Interesting.

Gygabyte recommends drivers from NVidia and on their site there are only older (custom?) drivers from when the card was released and no Win8 support:

GT 220:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 200 Series - GV-N220-1GI (rev. 3.0)

GT 430:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 400 Series - GV-N430-2GI

And for GT 630:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 600 Series - GV-N630-1GI
These are newer (306.23) and you can download and see how they work BUT are only for Win7.

Reducing the speeds to 50% is not logic, since some speeds break the balance and crashes can occur more often. Try to search the original NVIdia speeds for the cards and see if that works better, since is NVidia who makes the drivers.

The OC speeds can be a problem but I'm not sure about it. Normally Gigabyte know what they do.
BUT they provide modified cards and No modified drivers and that's no such a good business (unless we know the NVidia drivers match 100%).

There is also something mentioned in the official 310.70 that was modified: speed frequencies were altered to match a new power plan.

You should try version 310 (and if it fails 306) with original NVidia frequencies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Interesting.

Gygabyte recommends drivers from NVidia and on their site there are only older (custom?) drivers from when the card was released and no Win8 support:

GT 220:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 200 Series - GV-N220-1GI (rev. 3.0)

GT 430:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 400 Series - GV-N430-2GI

And for GT 630:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 600 Series - GV-N630-1GI
These are newer (306.23) and you can download and see how they work BUT are only for Win7.

Reducing the speeds to 50% is not logic, since some speeds break the balance and crashes can occur more often. Try to search the original NVIdia speeds for the cards and see if that works better, since is NVidia who makes the drivers.

The OC speeds can be a problem but I'm not sure about it. Normally Gigabyte know what they do.
BUT they provide modified cards and No modified drivers and that's no such a good business (unless we know the NVidia drivers match 100%).

There is also something mentioned in the official 310.70 that was modified: speed frequencies were altered to match a new power plan.

You should try version 310 (and if it fails 306) with original NVidia frequencies.

I'll try what you say, however I still do not understand why the 64-bit 310.90 driver fails W8 W8x64 but not x32. There must be some way for Geforce cards work on Windows 8 x64

Lower the speed of the cards was just a test to be OC versions

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400 Black Edition
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
    Memory
    8 Gb DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GV-N630-2GI GT630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FLAT 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    2 x 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 SATA III
    1 x 500 Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II
    Cooling
    Artic Cooler Freezer 13
    Internet Speed
    ONO 50/5 MB
I'll try what you say, however I still do not understand why the 64-bit 310.90 driver fails W8 W8x64 but not x32. There must be some way for Geforce cards work on Windows 8 x64
Probably still some issues for x64 on that one.

Lower the speed of the cards was just a test to be OC versions
Yes. I tried that also and some speeds work better than others. Half speed has no benefits if it's on of the unlucky combinations.

Cheers
Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I have the same problem. Garbage video on nvidea/windows 8. The machine boots and runs just fine on Windows 7. My machine has a GTX 560 ti (evga overclocked). After installing Windows 8 on fresh hard drive it worked one time. then when I rebooted the video had tons of artifacts and mouse trails. It is nearly impossible to do anything driver-wise when you can't read the screen. I managed to install the 310.90 drivers but that did not help.

The machine will boot Windows 8 just fine if I switch to the onboard lightweight nvidea board. After many hours of frustration, I went to BB and purchased a brand new GTX 650 board (also EVGA overclocked). I put it in my cold machine and tried booting from the Windows 8 DVD to re-install Windows 8 from scratch. No luck, even the boot install screen had active artifacts.

My machine started life as an HP Pavillion. A called EVGA and they were no help. They wanted me to turn security off in the bios bit my machine is old enough to not have a security setting.

I have also tried about every combination on un-installing drivers and re-booting to install new drivers I can thing of. The only reliable way for me to do this is to enter bios mode and switch to the on board video. I then go to device manager and set thre option to see all drivers including nob-installed hardware. I can then remove the video driver for the high end nVidea board. I set the machine to boot into safe mode and reboot to the high end nVidea board. I get garbage even in safe mode.

My conclusions:
1) The problem is not dirty connections. If so, why does windows 7 work perfectly with both boards.
2) It is not heat related. I have tried the machine after hours of cooling down. And I can run the board really hot with 3D games (on Windows 7)
3) Overclocked video boards seem to be a common factor but I don't think that is the problem.
4) The switched nVidea boards do not like even the generic driver on the Windows 8 boot disk. This makes even installation problematic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Interesting.

GT 220:

GT 430:

And for GT 630:

I tried to install Gigabyte official drivers and got something different. Taking active integrated graphics, the PC boots and displays the image OK but with low resolution. By raising the resolution to the GT430, the pc restarts. Restarts guess because the driver is for windows 7. It's not much but at least it's a different outcome. Accept new ideas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
    Memory
    8 Gb DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GV-N630-2GI GT630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FLAT 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Artic Cooler Freezer 13
    Internet Speed
    ONO 50/5 MB
@edellow
Only overclocked versions in this forum?
There has to be some issues with overclocked cards and the drivers but that's up to the makers to decide.

Win8 is the only one with problems, probably because it has newer features in the drivers (WDDM 1.2) that need more driver development for the time being.

@migueldj
That's interesting. If only we can find a Gigabyte driver-mod for Win8... because all I see are the Win7 drivers... for your GT 220 so it seems.
But you can try a newer model or one model that has Win8 drivers and with some chance it might be compatible.

example:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 600 Series - GV-N65TOC-2GI

drivers.png
Nice! They DO have Win8 drivers... just depends on the model.

Miguel, I suggest you try something like the one in link above that is pretty recent and is for Win8.
There are some GT 210 that has Win8 drivers but since you have 220, I recommend an newer driver: one from 240 or higher if available (see link). Let's just hope it's compatible: Device Manager install or Setup should decide that. So there is no way it will let you install one if it's not compatible, no worries.
Removing the Win7 drivers is better. It works but is not very stable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
@edellow
Only overclocked versions in this forum?
There has to be some issues with overclocked cards and the drivers but that's up to the makers to decide.

Win8 is the only one with problems, probably because it has newer features in the drivers (WDDM 1.2) that need more driver development for the time being.

@migueldj
That's interesting. If only we can find a Gigabyte driver-mod for Win8... because all I see are the Win7 drivers... for your GT 220 so it seems.
But you can try a newer model or one model that has Win8 drivers and with some chance it might be compatible.

example:
GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 600 Series - GV-N65TOC-2GI

View attachment 14787
Nice! They DO have Win8 drivers... just depends on the model.

Miguel, I suggest you try something like the one in link above that is pretty recent and is for Win8.
There are some GT 210 that has Win8 drivers but since you have 220, I recommend an newer driver: one from 240 or higher if available (see link). Let's just hope it's compatible: Device Manager install or Setup should decide that. So there is no way it will let you install one if it's not compatible, no worries.
Removing the Win7 drivers is better. It works but is not very stable.

Sorry for the delay. Install the driver of that graph with the same result. I think at the end or change the graph by a newer model or some ATI, but that will be later. Thanks for your help.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
    Memory
    8 Gb DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GV-N630-2GI GT630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FLAT 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Artic Cooler Freezer 13
    Internet Speed
    ONO 50/5 MB
Sorry for the delay. Install the driver of that graph with the same result. I think at the end or change the graph by a newer model or some ATI, but that will be later. Thanks for your help.

No problem.
Changing the graphics should solve it in my opinion.

Glad I could be of assistance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Hi, I too have the same problem and have found no answers. I am using an old motherboard in an HP computer. I was wondering if you have pci-express 1.1 or the newer version. I have tried installing new drivers and no help. I am using windows 8 pro 64 bit. I have two nvidia cards a new one gt 610 and an older 7650. Neither work however the onboard video does work. I have a 650 watt power supply so that is not the issue as both cards are low wattage users. When I boot I get the hp logo and the beginning of windows 8 with the spinning circles fine and then the next screen all artifacts and mouse trails. I have called MS support and they could not help me. The only thing I can think of is the pci-express causing problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro 64
Hi, I too have the same problem and have found no answers. I am using an old motherboard in an HP computer. I was wondering if you have pci-express 1.1 or the newer version. I have tried installing new drivers and no help. I am using windows 8 pro 64 bit. I have two nvidia cards a new one gt 610 and an older 7650. Neither work however the onboard video does work. I have a 650 watt power supply so that is not the issue as both cards are low wattage users. When I boot I get the hp logo and the beginning of windows 8 with the spinning circles fine and then the next screen all artifacts and mouse trails. I have called MS support and they could not help me. The only thing I can think of is the pci-express causing problems.

Hello. For the tests I could do and the help you could provide me Hopachi, all you've got clear is that the problem is with Windows 8 pro x 64 bits, as in other operating systems, both 32 and 64 bits , works well. I am in contact with Gigabyte tech support, but do not help either.

You say your integrated graphics works well, does the GT610 is an OC version? All the problems I've found are with that type of card, factory overclocked versions

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
    Memory
    8 Gb DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GV-N630-2GI GT630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FLAT 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Artic Cooler Freezer 13
    Internet Speed
    ONO 50/5 MB
"You say your integrated graphics works well, does the GT610 is an OC version? All the problems I've found are with that type of card, factory overclocked versions"

Both geforce cards I am trying to use are normally clocked. Or at least they are not advertised as being overclocked. I am going to try and change motherboards in a few days as I believe it is either with the bios or the pci-express. I have a one year old motherboard I am not using currently and will try with that. It will have a lot newer bios and the pciexpress will be at least version 2 maybe 3 I am not sure when three came out.
Thanks for your info.

Lostinfiftz

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro 64
I installed a new or rather old motherboard but not one hp bios and then re-installed windows 8 pro 64 bit and I am up and running. So the problem I was having was related to the motherboard or the bios or maybe even both. The bios was very limited on changes I could make so I believe HP's wisdom of what we should be allowed to change got me. The other motherboard I am using now is a biostar cheap micro atx motherboard but works well. The Pci-Express is the same on both boards being version 1 and the video card I am using is version 3. Hope you get your problem solved too.

Lostinfiftz :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro 64
I installed a new or rather old motherboard but not one hp bios and then re-installed windows 8 pro 64 bit and I am up and running. So the problem I was having was related to the motherboard or the bios or maybe even both. The bios was very limited on changes I could make so I believe HP's wisdom of what we should be allowed to change got me. The other motherboard I am using now is a biostar cheap micro atx motherboard but works well. The Pci-Express is the same on both boards being version 1 and the video card I am using is version 3. Hope you get your problem solved too.
Lostinfiftz :)

this is interesting. My motherboard is a Gigabyte of low-mid range but will try another. It also has the 1.0 specification in the PCI-e and the graphics are from 2.0 onwards. Soon I will come a GT630. I'll try everything and try to change the motherboard too.

Gracias por la informacion!!! thanks for the info!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
    Memory
    8 Gb DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GV-N630-2GI GT630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FLAT 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Artic Cooler Freezer 13
    Internet Speed
    ONO 50/5 MB
Hello. Reagent this post because I keep trying to find out a little more about this problem. I next week change my old motherboard GA-M61P-S3 (nforce chipset) with GA-MA780G-UD3H (AMD chipset)

I think this may be related to some of the motherboard chipset and I did run a GT630 in Win8x64 necessarily activating the integrated graphics in the BIOS and allowing it to be the first to be activated and using the drivers that windows installed by default.

Next week I will discuss how I went with the new motherboard. I hope to be lucky!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
    Memory
    8 Gb DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GV-N630-2GI GT630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FLAT 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Artic Cooler Freezer 13
    Internet Speed
    ONO 50/5 MB
As thought, changing the motherboard and use a non-nvidia chipset, my graph, a GT630 and GT220, work perfectly in Windows8x64 without having to activate the graph of the motherboard or do anything, even using the latest drivers nvidia available.

Therefore, I think the problem is what I already mentioned, win8x64 problem with nvidia graphics driver generic, which creates a conflict or something with integrated graphics and PCI-e card.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
    Memory
    8 Gb DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    GV-N630-2GI GT630
    Monitor(s) Displays
    FLAT 19" LG
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Cooling
    Artic Cooler Freezer 13
    Internet Speed
    ONO 50/5 MB
Thanks for the tip. It can help others. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Yea new Gigabyte MOBO and I got Windows 8 running with my video card lol ...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, 2813 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    Motherboard
    PCCHIPS A13G+ V3.0
    Memory
    2 x G.Skills PC2-6400 2GB - 4GB Total
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Gigabyte 630GT
Back