News about Windows 9 - can anybody verify this?

This is off topic but thought it worth while to bring up

Chromebooks are planning to start running Windows Legacy Apps on it's machines, see article below
Windows apps and desktop are coming to Chrome OS, thanks to Google and VMware | ExtremeTech

Fail.

Why would a company spend the money on a Chromebook to run Windows apps when they can purchase an actual Windows maching for the same price? Even tablets on Bay Trail can be had for close to $200 these days.
I think it a brilliant strategy by Google, If people can buy a chromebook and run windows apps, they have the best of both worlds. Plus, I think Windows users may think, "Hey if I buy a Chromebook and have my windows, why not". What this does is ween Windows users into becoming more accustom to using Chrome.

I like my chrome browser (though it has it's problems), but, I think it is superior to IE, and has many more features than Firefox or Opera have. I am certainly curious how it will work out, I would be very tempted to give it try.

Though I do wonder as to why Google has never developed their own true OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services

Chromebooks are planning to start running Windows Legacy Apps on it's machines, see article below
Windows apps and desktop are coming to Chrome OS, thanks to Google and VMware | ExtremeTech

Fail.

Why would a company spend the money on a Chromebook to run Windows apps when they can purchase an actual Windows maching for the same price? Even tablets on Bay Trail can be had for close to $200 these days.
I think it a brilliant strategy by Google, If people can buy a chromebook and run windows apps, they have the best of both worlds. Plus, I think Windows users may think, "Hey if I buy a Chromebook and have my windows, why not". What this does is ween Windows users into becoming more accustom to using Chrome.

I like my chrome browser (though it has it's problems), but, I think it is superior to IE, and has many more features than Firefox or Opera have. I am certainly curious how it will work out, I would be very tempted to give it try.

It's a workaround for sure. If you wanted to, but it's beyond me why anyone would want to when a real full blown 8.x pc can be had for $200-300 nowadays.
Plus touch, Onedrive baked in, some offering full Office, soon to be apps across all platforms etc.

There really is no benefit to Chromebook unless you just flat out want to avoid MS and give yourself unneeded hassles.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
I expect they will try and get it out for Xmas if they can. Must be in a hurry to try and distance themselves from win8.

Unfortunately, it is almost certain to be more of the same wearing a heavy disguise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I expect they will try and get it out for Xmas if they can. Must be in a hurry to try and distance themselves from win8.

Unfortunately, it is almost certain to be more of the same wearing a heavy disguise.

That wouldn't be all bad. Honestly, the underpinnings of Windows 8 are totally fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Fail.

It's a workaround for sure. If you wanted to, but it's beyond me why anyone would want to when a real full blown 8.x pc can be had for $200-300 nowadays.
Plus touch, Onedrive baked in, some offering full Office, soon to be apps across all platforms etc.

There really is no benefit to Chromebook unless you just flat out want to avoid MS and give yourself unneeded hassles.
You are missing the point, you have all the apps of Chrome and your Windows. Sure you can buy just a windows machine but I am unaware of windows being able to run Chrome.

Why buy only a banana, if you can have a banana and apple for the same price.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Underneath , there is decent os trying to get out. Sadly, MS won't let it. They can't see any other way to proceed. Ballmer himself said there is no Plan B.

Looks like they are going to just keep fiddling with Plan A.

That wouldn't be all bad. Honestly, the underpinnings of Windows 8 are totally fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It might have more features than IE, but I doubt it has more features than Firefox or Opera.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

Fail.

Pepperflash has made Chrome un-use-able for me. I can't stand the constant lag and stutter when watching youtube videos. Chrome was a great browser, now it is utter rubbish imo.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
It might have more features than IE, but I doubt it has more features than Firefox or Opera.
Pepperflash has made Chrome un-use-able for me. I can't stand the constant lag and stutter when watching youtube videos. Chrome was a great browser, now it is utter rubbish imo.
I don't dislike any of the browsers, but what i do like about Chrome is;

1) it's app tab
it is like a desktop, I have my favorite apps right there, I don't have search in my alreadied cluttered bookmarks bar

2) I also love, love, love using my Google voice search
Firefox started a project for voice, but abandoned it, I also find Windows voice program not very forgiving. It never could understand me, and I don't even have an accent, though some U.S southerns say I sound like a @#% yankee.​

3) I also, like Chromes theme's
I make my own, though they have some great ones. IE doesn't believe in themes.​

these are the things I like most, but it does have it's drawback's, and it is why I use all 3 browsers.
PLUS, I am from Portland, Oregon and it appears Google may be bringing their hi-speed optics internet to my beloved city, so I guess I am just a little biased.

It' just a personal preference thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I cringe every time I see peoples' msinfo when helping and they have 234582342939 Chrome.exe open.

I know that's how it works and it doesn't cause problems and all that good stuff, but still.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
I cringe every time I see peoples' msinfo when helping and they have 234582342939 Chrome.exe open.
Hahahaha that is soo true!!!!!:roflmao:
Too many Chrome.exe processes on Task Manager makes me nuts!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate/Windows 8.1 Update Pro with Media Center/Windows Technical Preview [All 64-bit]
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion g6-1d85nr Notebook PC
    CPU
    AMD A4-3305M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.9GHz
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 169B
    Memory
    4GB Ramaxel DDR3 RAM 1.33 GHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6480G
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB Toshiba HDD MQ01ABD050 ATA Device
    Internet Speed
    1 Mb/s Download & 400 Kb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11 [default]/ Pale Moon [64-bit]
    Antivirus
    MS System Center Endpoint Protection
I don't dislike any of the browsers, but what i do like about Chrome is;

1) it's app tab
it is like a desktop, I have my favorite apps right there, I don't have search in my alreadied cluttered bookmarks bar

2) I also love, love, love using my Google voice search
Firefox started a project for voice, but abandoned it, I also find Windows voice program not very forgiving. It never could understand me, and I don't even have an accent, though some U.S southerns say I sound like a @#% yankee.​

3) I also, like Chromes theme's
I make my own, though they have some great ones. IE doesn't believe in themes.​

these are the things I like most, but it does have it's drawback's, and it is why I use all 3 browsers.
PLUS, I am from Portland, Oregon and it appears Google may be bringing their hi-speed optics internet to my beloved city, so I guess I am just a little biased.

It' just a personal preference thing.

Hi there
for sure it's a personal thing

but consider the use of this in a professional working environment -- voice activated searches would just be plain ridiculous in a typical open plan office type area !!!!.

The chrome book wasn't actually a bad idea in itself -- no OS for the user to "break" or pirate or apps even to update -- google office apps I believe can run OK if you don't need the full complexities of Ms office.

Whether there is a place for this now is moot point since most phones / tablets will supply better functionality at almost every stage.

cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB