Nervous about attmpting Win. 8.1 upgrade

Anyway, I'm packing it in for tonight. My aching back is telling me its time to take a break and relax a bit. I'll check back in the morning to see what's up.
---------------
OK REAd your above post about making a 'different' type of backup since i have files saved to my computer and i'd want them restored by the program you mentioned so i don't have to use my original 'out of box' configuration 'back=up' i made.... now i understnd ...
Hope your back is o.k. .... thanks again - edythe

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS
    Other Info
    SuperAntiSpyWare/MalewareBytes
Anyway, I'm packing it in for tonight. My aching back is telling me its time to take a break and relax a bit. I'll check back in the morning to see what's up.
---------------
OK REAd your above post about making a 'different' type of backup since i have files saved to my computer and i'd want them restored by the program you mentioned so i don't have to use my original 'out of box' configuration 'back=up' i made.... now i understnd ...

Um, that Media Creation Tool just downloads and creates install media. It doesn't backup any files. I probably shouldn't have used the word backup like I did. What I meant was its a backup plan. A clean install will erase everything on the Windows Partition. Doing a factory recovery will also erase all data. If you haven't backed up any personal files you don't want to lose to external media, I would highly recommend doing it now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
---------------

Um, that Media Creation Tool just downloads and creates install media. I'M SORRY BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND 'MEDIA' VS 'FILES' It doesn't backup any files. I probably shouldn't have used the word backup like I did. What I meant was its a backup plan. A clean install will erase everything on the Windows Partition. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WINDOWS PARTITION IS EITHER Doing a factory recovery will also erase all data. If you haven't backed up any personal files you don't want to lose to external media, I would highly recommend doing it now.
i have two usb's that i have saved all my important files /photos, etc. besides the 'recovery' USB i made so if i use my original recovery USB and once back to factory OUT OF BOX set up could i just reload from my usb files, etc ''backup' usb's and put what i want back into the computer? i'm sorry for being so 'thick; !! thanks so much for trying to help !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS
    Other Info
---------------

Um, that Media Creation Tool just downloads and creates install media. I'M SORRY BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND 'MEDIA' VS 'FILES' It doesn't backup any files. I probably shouldn't have used the word backup like I did. What I meant was its a backup plan. A clean install will erase everything on the Windows Partition. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WINDOWS PARTITION IS EITHER Doing a factory recovery will also erase all data. If you haven't backed up any personal files you don't want to lose to external media, I would highly recommend doing it now.
i have two usb's that i have saved all my important files /photos, etc. besides the 'recovery' USB i made so if i use my original recovery USB and once back to factory OUT OF BOX set up could i just reload from my usb files, etc ''backup' usb's and put what i want back into the computer? i'm sorry for being so 'thick; !! thanks so much for trying to help !

No, problem, I just wanted to make there was no confusion, and that you wouldn't end up losing any files.:thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

No, problem, I just wanted to make there was no confusion, and that you wouldn't end up losing any files.:thumb:
-------------------------------
Thanks for all your help - 'if' i have to use my original ''recovery' usb i made (as instructed) then i'll at least be able to get the computer working (out of box status) and just have to have my a/v etc. /windows redo the updates to the present and then i can reinstall from my two USB's what i've saved ( tons of 'stuff') rather than trying to use that program you mention to copy (my word) what i now have stored in the comuter i.e. photos, etc. a/v/ program, etc. i hope i have that right - LOL thanks again so much ... i'm always concerned that the program you mentioned might not come out as planned and i could end up in a worse place than the chore of reinstalling everything i've saved... actually i don't need most of what's there now anyway and should add to my already backed-up usb's ... boy i hope i didn't totally confuse you ! edythe

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS
    Other Info
I do it.Install the hidden update, that's all you have to do. It no longer appears in the Store because it is in the Updates ready to go.
-------------------
OK this is good to know ! thanks so much but actually since i posted the update still 'is' the Store - i'm also still getting the banner offering the update or ''remind me later'' option.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS