Solved My non-working APPS fixed without a Refresh!!

Apps not working and not named.

rialcnis,

Thanks for the post, because I'm at the end of my tether! Just checking you had the same problem as me. About a month after upgrade my metro apps stopped working. As in apart from 'explorer' and 'store' I think. All the tiles went blank, except for the weather app - this kept the sun symbol but tile name changed from 'weather' to 'app'. My start page looks like this;
Untitled.jpg
For example; If I were to click on Microsoft.skydive - the tile would spin to full page, pause for about a second or less, then spin back to tile and the start page without loading.

I gone through the services and changed the disabled to automatic as you've advised / described. The services that were disabled were very similar to that as Ambellina635.

I've changed them and restarted my computer - they are still not working.

When I changed the disabled services to automatic, I also tried to 'start' them as their status was stopped. But when I tried to start them I was met with;
Untitled2.jpg
Basically - as they are not used by another service / programme it can't be opened??????

Can you help me.

Regards.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C855
These are ones that differ from your list. The rest are manual and not running (at the moment) HOPE THIS HELPS:

application management -----THIS ONE SHOULD BE RUNNING-=====MANUAL Try a restart

background intelligent transfer service----THIS ONE SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC (delayed start) restart

cng key isolation---running....MANUAL

NOTE: I have a Creative card and also a sound card on my motherboard....after my upgrade when I checked the BIOS and the integrated sound card was turned back on. It had been off previously. I disabled it again in THE BIOS

creative alchemy al6 licensing service RUNNING AUTOMATIC

creative audio engine licensing service RUNNING AUTOMATIC

credential manager....running ----manual

diagnostic system host---RUNNING ---MANUAL

group policy client (OFF BUT AUTOMATIC)

homegroup listener-----RUNNING ----MANUAL

internet connection sharing (OFF BUT AUTOMATIC)

Microsoft account sign-in assistant ------RUNNING----MANUAL

Microsoft software shadow copy provider----RUNNING ----MANUAL

multimedia class scheduler-------RUNNING =======AUTOMATIC

net.tcp port sharing service---RUNNING========= AUTOMATIC

offline files-----RUNNING----------AUTOMATIC

peer name resolution protocol----RUNNING ----MANUAL

peer networking identity manager-------RUNNING----MAUAL

remote registry--------RUNNING--------AUTOMATIC

routing and remote access----------RUNNING====AUTOMATIC

secondary logon----RUNNING----MANUAL

smartcard---OFF BUT AUTOMATIC

touch keyboard and handwriting panel service---RUNNING---AUTOMATIC

upnp device host----RUNNING----MANUAL

volume shadow copy----RUNNING----MANUAL

windows defender service--------RUNNING ---AUTOMATIC

windows presentation foundation font cache 3.0.0.0---RUNNING --MANUAL

windows time 0FF BUT AUTOMATIC

winhttp web proxy auto-discovery service RUNNING BUT MANUAL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Alienware Area-58
    CPU
    Intell 2,93 i7
    Motherboard
    p6
    Memory
    8gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia gtx 295
    Sound Card
    X-fi extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1280
    Hard Drives
    6 Seagate Sata 3 external seagate
    Case
    Alienware Area-58
    Cooling
    liquid
    Keyboard
    Logitch G15
    Mouse
    Razer Nagas
    Internet Speed
    18mbs
rialcnis,

Thanks for the post, because I'm at the end of my tether! Just checking you had the same problem as me. About a month after upgrade my metro apps stopped working. As in apart from 'explorer' and 'store' I think. All the tiles went blank, except for the weather app - this kept the sun symbol but tile name changed from 'weather' to 'app'. My start page looks like this;
View attachment 11524
For example; If I were to click on Microsoft.skydive - the tile would spin to full page, pause for about a second or less, then spin back to tile and the start page without loading.

I gone through the services and changed the disabled to automatic as you've advised / described. The services that were disabled were very similar to that as Ambellina635.

I've changed them and restarted my computer - they are still not working.

When I changed the disabled services to automatic, I also tried to 'start' them as their status was stopped. But when I tried to start them I was met with;
View attachment 11527
Basically - as they are not used by another service / programme it can't be opened??????

Can you help me.

Regards.

your screenshots even when enlarged are too low res and I cant read them when blown up, so if you can please make higher res screenshots and I'' take a look.

When you redid the services mention so far did you also RESTART the service in the Service menu? And click APPLY?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Alienware Area-58
    CPU
    Intell 2,93 i7
    Motherboard
    p6
    Memory
    8gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia gtx 295
    Sound Card
    X-fi extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1280
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Alienware Area-58
    Cooling
    liquid
    Keyboard
    Logitch G15
    Mouse
    Razer Nagas
    Internet Speed
    18mbs
Rialcnis - thanks so much for going through the list and posting the differences. I will check later on and see if something switches my apps into working.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Rialcnis - thanks so much for going through the list and posting the differences. I will check later on and see if something switches my apps into working.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Alienware Area-58
    CPU
    Intell 2,93 i7
    Motherboard
    p6
    Memory
    8gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia gtx 295
    Sound Card
    X-fi extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1280
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Alienware Area-58
    Cooling
    liquid
    Keyboard
    Logitch G15
    Mouse
    Razer Nagas
    Internet Speed
    18mbs
I tried everything and nothing worked. I ended up doing a "refresh" and it all works fine now. Thanks for all the info and your time rialcnis

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
So we will never know why.... oh well. You tried.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Alienware Area-58
    CPU
    Intell 2,93 i7
    Motherboard
    p6
    Memory
    8gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia gtx 295
    Sound Card
    X-fi extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1280
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Alienware Area-58
    Cooling
    liquid
    Keyboard
    Logitch G15
    Mouse
    Razer Nagas
    Internet Speed
    18mbs
So we will never know why.... oh well. You tried.
Nope...unfortunately not. So the best course of action is for people that don't have working apps after an upgrade, is to do an immediate refresh before installing programs. Hopefully the issue will be revealed at some point. Thanks again for your time and kindness.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Tried it, but to no avail. Services that had been disabled were:

• Internet Connection Sharing
  • Net.tcp Port Sharing
  • Routing and Remote Access
  • Smart Card.

Additional information about my instance of the problem: I'd read elsewhere that creating a new user account might help. About a week ago, I created a new account (Local/Administrator), and the metro apps began working when logged into that account. However, this morning I saw that they'd stopped working. (I don't use metro apps regularly, so I don't know how long ago the problem came back.)

So this morning, I created yet another account (Local/Administrator), and lo and behold, the metro apps work when logged into that new account (but still not on the other week-old account).

To summarize, creating a new account solved the problem for a week at the most. Creating a new new account today worked, but don't know for how long...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Have 4 computers upgraded to W8, 3 out of them are having this Apps-close issue.... I think it becomes a known issue in Windows 8...

Sorry Microsoft... I am giving it up... I uninstalled all Apps, and just use Desktop mode...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8
I am also having the same problem. I had the same problem on my other laptop and I was forced to perform a refresh. But I don't consider a factory reset (refresh) to be a genuine solution. Something is fundamentally wrong with windows [DEL]live[/DEL] tiles and the Windows app store.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CPU
    Core i3
    Memory
    8GB
    Hard Drives
    120 GB Intel 520 SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
most of the apps that came with the system dont work for me , wheather , mail , calender .. i dont know if its because im using a local acount and i need to log into a ms account or what is going on ... but i also dont have much time to mess with the system and i dont really need them :p ..

i will do a quick test turning all services to automatic and see what hapands

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
    DIY
    CPU
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX 8800 512 GB
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 24''
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    many ...
    Keyboard
    saitek II
    Mouse
    R.A.T. 5
    Internet Speed
    15 Mbit
This one makes me question even more the fact that my WD MYBook was grunged simply because I swapped out a dual-boot drive and a Windows 8 single-boot drive.

Methinks Microsoft let Windows 8 out the gate ahead of time just like it did Vista. :zip:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Methinks Microsoft let Windows 8 out the gate ahead of time just like it did Vista. :zip:
maybe just a bit,but !just like with Vista ,not everyone had the same problems with Vista,and with win8 you people are having ,my 5 year old laptop with Vista has never had a problem ,still running the original install ,my win8 install[since August 18/2012] on this tower had a couple of problem with some free apps i got fro the Store ,i just deleted them ,all pre-installed apps work just fine for me i have only a few issues with it but sorted them to

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Thanks for posting this help, rialcnis. Although I don't have such problems, I learned something that I may be able to help others or myself at some later time. :)

Is there any hint to as why these services are being shut off? AV perhaps? Related to in place upgrade? Just curious.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
maybe just a bit,but !just like with Vista ,not everyone had the same problems with Vista,and with win8 you people are having ,my 5 year old laptop with Vista has never had a problem ,still running the original install ,my win8 install[since August 18/2012] on this tower had a couple of problem with some free apps i got fro the Store ,i just deleted them ,all pre-installed apps work just fine for me i have only a few issues with it but sorted them to

Yep, and that's my point . . . the problems don't crop up the same for everyone.

I've been using computers since the DOS days. I'm not a guru, but . . .

Remember Windows ME? It ran great on the computer I built with current technology (back then), but once I decided I wanted more oomph and started to upgrade the computer, ME kind of . . . well . . . it had served me well and XP had been released, so . . .

Fast forward to the Vista beta and ultimate release . . . we BTs told Microsoft it wasn't quite ready, but weren't listened to, so . . . although I only had minor problems and didn't have the big problems others had . . .

Then up jumps the beta of Windows 7 and from the get-go, even in "just out of alpha", I had no problems with Windows 7. Like XP, it just worked. Windows 7 turned out to be what Vista should have been.

And now, we see a repeat of the problems with Windows ME and Windows Vista, more or less. What I see down the line is that Windows 7 will be the new Windows XP. We'll have to pry their cold dead fingers off it.

Does that mean I'm giving up on Windows 8? Heck no! I will whip this puppy into line like it should be. Other than the problem of Windows 8 hosing my WD MyBook (I successfully got my data from it), I haven't had the problems others have had.

Then again, the only change I've made to Win 8 so far is to build my Quick Launch Bar, which I do on every new OS. (Good grief! Have I been through that many changes in operating systems?!?) I've tried a couple of things in the March PCWorld, but both failed miserably, so I'm not going back there! I will try more "fixes" because I don't like the "metro" (or whatever they're calling it now) UI. I want to be able to open a program or file the easy way, not jump through three, four and five steps to do so.

Well, enough . . . as I said, I'm not giving up on Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB