Microsoft to shut down TechNet subscription service

Good night, TechNet.

In a letter to subscribers today, Microsoft announced that it plans to retire its venerable TechNet subscriptions service. New subscriptions will no longer be available after August 31, 2013, and the subscription service will shut down as current subscribers' contracts end.

Read more at: Microsoft to shut down TechNet subscription service | ZDNet[/B]

Microsoft email to subscribers:

TNHeader2010.jpg
Microsoft is retiring the TechNet Subscription service.
As IT trends and business dynamics have evolved, so has Microsoft’s set of offerings for IT professionals who are looking to learn, evaluate and deploy Microsoft technologies and services. In recent years, we have seen a usage shift from paid to free evaluation experiences and resources. As a result, Microsoft has decided to retire the TechNet Subscriptions service and will discontinue sales on August 31, 2013.
Additional Information:
More background on Microsoft’s decision to retire the TechNet Subscription service and the implications for current subscribers is available on the TechNet Subscriptions Retirement FAQ page.

Subscribers with active accounts may continue to access program benefits until their current subscription period concludes.

We are committed to helping customers through this transition phase and will remain focused on providing IT professionals with free access to a broad set of
TechNet assets that support the needs of IT professionals around the world.

Improved Free Offerings for IT Professionals Include:

• TechNet Evaluation Center: Free evaluation software with no feature limits, available for 30-180 days. Includes rich evaluation resources and TechNet Virtual Labs, which enable you to evaluate software without the need to install bits locally.
  • Microsoft Virtual Academy: Free online learning site, with over 200 expert-led technical training courses across more than 15 Microsoft technologies with more added weekly.
  • TechNet Forums: Free online forums where IT professionals can ask technical questions and receive rapid responses from members of the community.
Please note, MSDN Subscriptions provide a paid set of offerings that are also available for those who require access to evaluation software beyond what the above free offerings provide.
Thank you for your understanding as we increase focus on growing and investing in our free offerings to better meet the needs of the IT professional community.
Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies.
- TechNet Subscription Team

Microsoft respects your privacy. Review our online
Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA, USA 98052

Last edited:
Time will tell. If I go dark you know I am now using a chalk and blackboard and an abacus, somewhere in the Himalayas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
Time will tell. If I go dark you know I am now using a chalk and blackboard and an abacus, somewhere in the Himalayas.

Ex,

Lets wait and see cuz this is going to be a big problem for Microsoft over TechNet and perhaps MSDN ( looks like Microsoft is really in trouble in the sounds of things )

Keep your eyes open in regards to Google with their new OS's that will be coming out later this year

Matter of fact I really think Windows 8 Pro and this SP1 for Windows 8 that is called Windows 8.1 is a bummer and loser for Microsoft in every aspect within the PC Desktop and High End Laptop Markets, ( I think they lost their shirts on Windows 8 Pro and Windows Blue )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
I think MSDN subscriptions are staying around (for now, anyway). Microsoft's take on all this is that there are other means for testing and evaluating new software, and that TechNet really doesn't serve that purpose as well anymore.

What they say publicly and what is really driving this decision could be very different, of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
I think MSDN subscriptions are staying around (for now, anyway). Microsoft's take on all this is that there are other means for testing and evaluating new software, and that TechNet really doesn't serve that purpose as well anymore.

What they say publicly and what is really driving this decision could be very different, of course.

I agree Terry with your comments but something negative is going down within Microsoft that none of us are aware just yet, I have been told the Mr, Gates has not been a happy camper for a few years with his Design and Engineering Heads down in Microsoft USA Head Quarters

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
Google may be on to something later in the year but I have to stay with Windows for testing purposes. So may have to go for broke and finance an MSDN subscription, which is definitely continuing according to MS. With my setup it's really a moot point as to whether or not I am evaluating or using it in a production environment anyway and I suppose some could argue I have no leg to stand on anyway as I'm "producing" at least some of the time.
MS have only themselves to blame for their loss of market share in recent years because they steadfastly refuse to listen to testers and reviewers, and the public in general for that matter and whilst I could never believe that they are short of cash, I'm not surprised at all that Mr. Gates wishes he'd never relinquished his postition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
Google may be on to something later in the year but I have to stay with Windows for testing purposes. So may have to go for broke and finance an MSDN subscription, which is definitely continuing according to MS. With my setup it's really a moot point as to whether or not I am evaluating or using it in a production environment anyway and I suppose some could argue I have no leg to stand on anyway as I'm "producing" at least some of the time.
MS have only themselves to blame for their loss of market share in recent years because they steadfastly refuse to listen to testers and reviewers, and the public in general for that matter and whilst I could never believe that they are short of cash, I'm not surprised at all that Mr. Gates wishes he'd never relinquished his postition.

Ex,

I agree with you point all the way and right to the point.

In regards to MSDN I again think they have a microscope on MSDN in regards in how much coin that section pulls in for Microsoft and if the numbers sound and look low, Microsoft will also pull the plug on MSDN and then the only one left is the MS Partners group where I am a long standing member and if MSDN does also belly up like TechNet rest assure MS Partners network will get themselves under the Microscope and that will be it for any long term testing of current and new Microsoft Technologies and then the general user base will be in trouble

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
Yow! This is too bad, Technet has been an old friend for a long time for me. It has been a forum where MS has been storing all kinds of usable information about every OS since 2000 or maybe even prior OSes. I think the first thing I ever downloaded from there was a Windows XP x64 Trial, which I was able to disable the Time Bomb and keep using. I really liked that, this was in early 2006, when it looked like the next OS was going to be the 64 bit version of XP, but Intel released it's Core Duo without iA64 support, forcing them to make Vista 32 bit.

I've been a constant visitor there ever since. What new service is going to replace this, I wonder? This has been the only MS resource for Devs and System Builders. It sounds like they will move all of the Tech Papers over to MSDN? I hope they do, cos I have to read these things.

Goodbye, Old Friend.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I don't think TechNet itself is going away - just the software subscription service. TechNet itself is someplace I visit frequently, and it's not limited to subscribers. I have found a lot of useful information there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
There was a change in the TechNet terms of service last summer. The new terms stated that your keys would expire when your subscription expired. Prior to that the keys would not expire. I did not renew back in Oct and my keys are still active. Don't know what will happen in the future but there is no guarantee that ALL the keys will not be deactivated but maybe just the keys that you received after the new terms went into effect.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
I am by no means, an MS Fanboy. But, I have always had fair dealings with them when it came to a dispute, large or small. I honestly believe that, in the matter of key expiry, it is a question of not rocking the boat too much.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Thanks Phoneman for the update, let's all wait and see August 2014 isn't really too far away only a year or so, I hope your right if that's not the case there will be a few million desktop and laptop devices screwed then if they are on any Technet issued keys before the new Technet Policy went into effect that's the sounds of it, I been told today from a Technet Manager that all these keys used on any device will be blacklisted please confirm Phoneman, this will likely affect millions of users and devices across the board if that's the case

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
The TechNet keys are to be used just for testing and not running a system. Of course when the word got out a whole lot of people just joined TechNet to avoid buying retail keys and are still using those keys. Should be a lot of upset people if those keys are de-activated and then have to buy a bunch of new retail keys. Might boost Windows 8 sales. I'm sure eBay will be alive with a bunch of counterfeit keys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
The TechNet keys are to be used just for testing and not running a system. Of course when the word got out a whole lot of people just joined TechNet to avoid buying retail keys and are still using those keys. Should be a lot of upset people if those keys are de-activated and then have to buy a bunch of new retail keys. Might boost Windows 8 sales. I'm sure eBay will be alive with a bunch of counterfeit keys.

Jim,

That's my point! Technet and MSDN have really screwed up lots of other systems within Microsoft license devision with these 2 other devisions like MSDN and Technet owners of Technet and MSDN accounts have sold keys to online services like eBay and creigs lists on so on, those folks who sold poor people some keys from Technet could be facing a real surprise in August 2014 when they find out that their wondows or office don't work no more ;)

I knew something was wrong with Technet and MSDN will also get pinched also like Technet did, #1 Technet wasn't bringing in good returns #2 MSDN isn't in good shape eather MSDN could be also shutting down in 2014 some say, as we all know when there is smoke there is always a fire

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
I'm not a TechNet subscriber (but am interested in picking it up if it's worth it) so I don't know the details...

I couldn't find anything that suggested that your used keys expired once the subscription ends. Only that keys are not available anymore after the subscription expires.

Product Keys and Activation -- TechNet Subscriptions

Only subscribers with active subscriptions can download products and claim product keys, so you will not be able to download products after your subscription has expired. In some cases, you will be able to view product keys you had claimed while your subscription was active, but you will not be able to claim new keys. In order to access your prior claimed keys, you will have to sign in using the Microsoft account used with your subscription.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
A lot of people won't buy keys they will pirate them from Torrents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Home Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Asus Z87 Sabertooth
    Memory
    16 Gig DDR3-2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GT740
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 27" - Benq 22" - Dell 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 pro 128g SSD
    1xWestern Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    2xWestern Digital Caviar Green 2TB
    PSU
    Seasonic 760 watt platinum
    Case
    HAF-X
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-C12P CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    Cable
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I'm not a TechNet subscriber (but am interested in picking it up if it's worth it) so I don't know the details...

I couldn't find anything that suggested that your used keys expired once the subscription ends. Only that keys are not available anymore after the subscription expires.

Product Keys and Activation -- TechNet Subscriptions

Only subscribers with active subscriptions can download products and claim product keys, so you will not be able to download products after your subscription has expired. In some cases, you will be able to view product keys you had claimed while your subscription was active, but you will not be able to claim new keys. In order to access your prior claimed keys, you will have to sign in using the Microsoft account used with your subscription.

Hi Dirty,

I suggest you call Technet when you get a chance I been told all of these keys used within the Technet service will no longer work and will be un activated after August 2014 when the dead line is up please confirm so you don't spread false details about a MS service or product that never was there or existed in the 1st place after the cut off time frame.

FYI with 1 click of a mouse within MS License department MS has the data base to kick out any key off their support servers in less then 30 seconds and with that said they can kick off millions of keys at the same 30 second mark

I suggest you call Technet and I am very sure they will be able to talk about keys and activation after they close permently this service in August of 2014

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
I haven't seen anything to indicate that MS is going to suddenly revoke the TechNet keys like that. The resulting storm of bad publicity would be worse than any recovery Microsoft would make from forcing subscribers to come up with the money for a retail license key (or go looking for a pirated key).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
If M$ revokes all the keys at once that would be dumb the backlash would be large all they have to do is revoke a few keys at a time.
Of course M$ has done some dumb things lately like Windows 8.1 start button.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
If M$ revokes all the keys at once that would be dumb the backlash would be large all they have to do is revoke a few keys at a time.
Of course M$ has done some dumb things lately like Windows 8.1 start button.

Hi Labee,

I really do think this time around that MS will sign off and de-activate all these keys within Technet, there is a lot of MS money lost on keys Mr Ballmer and Mr Gates will say at the end of the day with that note said serials or keys is where MS makes their return these days not on just software or code.

Keys and serials are now the bread and butter for any major player in the OS game and apps game in todays market, the software all ready has been paid off as soon its of the benchmarking and PR table everyone of these software giants are now are making a profits in the 300% to 500% range just on serials and keys alone

Re: Windows 8 Pro or Windows Blue? If your not running win8 pro or blue on a tablet forget it this new windows 8 pro and Blue OS has easy taken MS at least 10 years backwards in every aspect in regards to the desktop and high end laptop world wide OS game and MS is aware of that they #*+-#* #* with this Baffoon windows 8 pro and windows blue 8.1 SP1 OS, move over Windows Vista here comes Windows 8 pro or Windows 8 SP1 named Blue or 8.1 to take the #2 worst of the worst Operating systems that have ever showed to shore from Microsoft and I really don't blame in regards that's Mr Gates isn't a real happy camper these past few years

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
And now adds in Window 8.1 search M$ seems to be breaking a lot of eggs these days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb