Microsoft to kill the Messenger on March 15

Beware the Ides of March if you are a user of Microsoft's Windows Messenger Live.

Microsoft announced last November it would soon retire its instant messaging client in favor Skype, which Microsoft acquired in October 2011. But today it began informing Messenger users that the service would go dark for the majority of users on March 15.

Hello,
On 15th March 2013 we are retiring the existing Messenger service globally (except for mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available) and bringing the great features of Messenger and Skype together. Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips. You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet.
Yours sincerely,
The Messenger Team

Read more at source:
Microsoft to kill the Messenger on March 15 | Microsoft - CNET News

I didnt realize that MS had purchased Skype. Its funny that I noticed that about a year ago I started getting more and more scam calls on Skype. That almost corresponds with MS's purchase.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Supermicro
    CPU
    Dual E5-2687
    Motherboard
    Supermicro
    Memory
    64 Gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 690
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Recon 3D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 2410's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 512Gig Vertex 4's in RAID 0 -OS
    4 256Gig Vertex 3's in RAID 0 -Data
    4 Seagate 3TB Drives in RAID 0 -Data
    Case
    Supermicro
    Cooling
    Stock
    Internet Speed
    20Mbs
I didnt realize that MS had purchased Skype. Its funny that I noticed that about a year ago I started getting more and more scam calls on Skype. That almost corresponds with MS's purchase.

I think you make a conclusion there that is based on nothing. Perhaps, I say perhaps, the criminals are changing to the Skype platform due to the fact that Microsoft bought it, so it must be popular. But to say you get scam calls because Microsoft bought Skype is bull**** in my honest opinion.

Besides... there is an option in Skype, when activated, it will prevent you being contacted by strangers. So I recommend you to activate this option :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
I just managed to migrate from Windows Live Messenger to Skype, lost all my contacts. Don't think I'll ever get them back. Best jump into bed with Skype and then fall out of bed with Windows Live.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Eight
Messenger, MSN, Windows Live Messenger.. Whatever the name, it will remain a big part of my memories which I will treasure forever. Thinking about it, we're the last generations that will remember MSN and speak of it in the future. We are its legacy! Be proud people, this day would come and better retire strong with all the glory than die slowly.

I had switched to Skype for a good amount of time before it got merged with MSN. I couldn't be happier about this, Skype has resurrected MSN for me. Don't be afraid of the change, it's beautiful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise RTM x64
    Sony Vaio
I use Skype mostly, but sometimes WLM is good for the photo sharing feature. This feature is still absent from Skype, and even programs like Trillian bork out if your photo is over 4MB or so. I hope they add photo share to Skype to compensate for its loss when WLM goes kaput. Much more convenient to paste from clipboard/drag&drop a pic into an active conversation and show a pic right away than trying to upload to some image sharing site and getting a link and then pasting the link and then having them click on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Crucial 6GB DDR3 1066mhz Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 SE (Nvidia)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    320GB WD MyBook (converted to Internal SATA)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
Try to use Remote Assistance options in Windows XP, it's nothing compared to the ease of Windows 7 for Windows 8. The option to use Windows Messenger loads to a default link that is not supported anymore. You can only use 2 options now, email the invitation or save an invite file to upload via cloud or send email.

I think Microsoft has already done this on the "Help and Support" side of things, you can even install "Windows Essentials". It doesn't register EITHER in "Remote Assistance"!

The install is just outdated. Skype is a much better service and choice. I can honestly say this service needs to be depreciated.

Pidgin IM for Security, with the Skype Add-On which is amazing anyways...for ease!

Let the future reign free!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
    Lenovo B570
    CPU
    Intel Duo Core
    Memory
    4GB
How are we suppose to see when we get hotmail email as they arrive because the current windows live mail that's on offer is useless. I like having messenger because it lets you know as soon as a email arrives and you can also see how many new email you have to look at.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64bit
    CPU
    Amd Piledriver 8350 4ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth 990fx rv.2
    Memory
    Corsair vengeance 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus 7970
How are we suppose to see when we get hotmail email as they arrive because the current windows live mail that's on offer is useless. I like having messenger because it lets you know as soon as a email arrives and you can also see how many new email you have to look at.

Welcome to EightForums, markshim. It's good to have you aboard. :)

Are you referring to the Windows Mail app included with 8? If so, it notifies whenever new mail arrives, even if one is on the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Steve,

I assume you mean Messenger Plus, an add-on for WLM? I used it for a long time and I liked some of the features it added. I no longer use Messenger and I ditched Skype in a hurry because it didn't do much for me. I don't use IMs that often anyway so I am just as happy without an IM program for now.

One of the main reasons I dislike Skype is the lack of a tie-in to my Hotmail. One click and I was into my e-mail. Now I'm relegated to using the web interface, the Outlook add-on for Hotmail (which doesn't update the server), or the not-so-wonderful Win8 Mail app.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Thanks Terry! I was referring to the IM+ you can get from the Windows store. I was thinking of downloading that, but don't know if I want to "muck" up the waters. The bulk of people I IM are on FB and don't need to get more bogged down w/other IMs...I was just wondering about that program from the store.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Oh, OK, Steve. I haven't seen that one unless it's the one that shows up "out of the box" in Windows 8.

I don't use IM a lot (except Office Communicator at work, and that's very useful). I really don't miss Messenger except that it was a handy link to my e-mail (one-click access) and a handy way to see how many e-mail messages I had not yet read.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Pidgin or Trillian are both good alternatives to Messenger. Both are multi-protocol with plugins for Skype, Twitter LinkedIn, etc. I have been using Trillian for years so I can have one IM program and communicate easily with anybody's IM regardless of protocol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit and 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo and Dell
    CPU
    Intel i3
Back