Microsoft Surface Pro review

It's a compelling proposition: all the power and application compatibility of a laptop running a proper desktop operating system, all the portability and convenience of a tablet, all mixed together in one package. That's the core idea behind Microsoft's Surface tablets but, as we saw with the Surface for Windows RT a few months ago, its ARM-based nature resulted in some substantial drawbacks. Namely: app selection.

Running Windows is all well and good, but when you're running the RT flavor, which strips compatibility with the entire, massive and still-swelling catalog of Windows applications, you're left with a desktop-class operating system completely bereft of any desktop apps. Welcome, then, to the Surface for Windows Pro, which promises all the niceties of the Surface RT -- compelling design, build quality, performance -- with full support for x86 Windows applications. (That is: every single Windows app released before the end of last year.) And, adding a 1080p display to the mix doesn't hurt. So, then, is this perfection in a single 10-inch, $899 device? Let's find out.

Read more at source:
Microsoft Surface Pro review

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that you have come to the conclusion that everyone considers the Surface a failure which, I guess when stated enough, becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Maybe it was a failure from the outset, when even the true believers assume that no one likes the Surface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Hi there
Review seems fine to me -- I don't have any issues in running photoshop while travelling already on a laptop with an 11 inch screen - wouldn't have any problems on the tablet either -- and the stylus pen type device is just fine for photoshop.

I'd pass on the keyboard since I could always use a USB hub and sling on a conventional keyboard if I need a keyboard in "Laptop" mode and the storage capacity for on board movies etc can always be increased via the use of a decent size micro sd card or even an external USB disk --remember it's WINDOWS we are running so you can attach conventional Windows devices via the USB port -- and a 4 port USB3 hub doesn't cost much anyway.

In a hotel etc - where you can output to a decent size TV or monitor -- it can work very conveniently in laptop mode.

I think these things will actually sell far better than most people predict -- just because they don't sell 5 trillion in the first 10 secs after release doesn't make the product a failure.

A lot of US businesses tend to fail because they think TOO SHORT TERM. This is the first of these sorts of devices --
better / other models will appear for sure.

The ist iteration of a product isn't usually the best one. Look at the penny farthing bicycle -- if development had remained at that stage we wouldn't have the excellent range of bikes we have now (and in some cases the electric ones are brilliant too).

enc screenshot of the first "bicycles".

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• penny.png
    penny.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 382

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
"The ist iteration of a product isn't usually the best one. Look at the penny farthing bicycle -- if development had remained at that stage we wouldn't have the excellent range of bikes we have now (and in some cases the electric ones are brilliant too)."

Unfortunately some people think that the Wright Brothers should have invented the Boeing 747 with a capacity to go around the Equator 3 times without refuelling.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Indeed, smartphones, tablets, computers, etc are such a recent development that we are all utterly amazed at what they can already do. It's utterly incredible what Microsoft has produced out of thin air.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Indeed, smartphones, tablets, computers, etc are such a recent development that we are all utterly amazed at what they can already do. It's utterly incredible what Microsoft has produced out of thin air.

Absolutely correct it is, considering that Tim Cook said that you could not combine a Fridge and a Toaster, I think Microsoft have pulled it off.

Oh, and Tim Cook should know, he is the inventor of the world, but I somehow think we have our own Tim Cook.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The Surface cools beer and makes toast? I think I might need to get one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
If it could even do one of those things (beer), I think it'd be an instant home run.

;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
It was never going to be easy.

Checking that your product doesn't contain some ghastly deal breaker is one thing.

How testing is done and results are interpreted has it's own difficulties.

Getting an indictaion of whether a market exists and how big it might be is something else.

When companies are desperate they may decide to rush things/take big risks.

Sometimes that kind of enforced courage works out - sometimes not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Tim Cook said that you could not combine a Fridge and a Toaster

I am afraid the reviews I have seen agree with him.

However, if it does keep my drinks cold and make toast - I might buy one.

That is pretty small and light - for a fridge.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It is too early to call.

I don't know if this kind of hybrid will take off - or end up as a curious niche product.

However, if it does turn out to be a niche - and it is not the future with hundreds of millions using these things totally replacing their other devices - then what for MS.

They are fortunate they can mess it up and not go immediately bankrupt.

What if the whole win 8 split personality thing turns out to be a damp squib.

Of course they will sell a reasonable number. That is because ( according to estimates ) about 300m people will buy a pc over the next 12mths.

Unless they have the entry price for a Mac (which many don't ) , they get windows. There is no viable choice.

Surface Pro reviews are in

The end result is that it's not a good laptop, and not a good tablet. In other words, the idea that Surface is a 'no compromises' device is a bunch of nonsense..

All this has solidified my belief that Windows 8, as it stands now, was the wrong way to go

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Tim Cook said that you could not combine a Fridge and a Toaster

I am afraid the reviews I have seen agree with him.

However, if it does keep my drinks cold and make toast - I might buy one.

That is pretty small and light - for a fridge.

So I suppose you think it's going to end up a dud like Windows 7 or XP.

My Computer

System One

• OS
That is not what I said.

We can't call this one. We don't have the information MS has - whatever made them decide to go this way.

I fear they may have got it wrong. We don't know yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
. The end result is that it's not a good laptop, and not a good tablet. In other words, the idea that Surface is a 'no compromises' device is a bunch of nonsense..

All this has solidified my belief that Windows 8, as it stands now, was the wrong way to go

Yep just like this genius.

.. Why Windows 7 is Microsoft’s next ZuneMay 9th, 2009

Why Windows 7 is Microsoft’s next Zune
May 9th, 2009

Daniel Eran Dilger

Every once and a while I get the opportunity to appear brilliantly prescient by pointing out something that is blatantly obvious but which has been so obscured by valiant marketing efforts that it makes me look like a grand wizard at detecting emperor nakedness just to say it. In this case, it’s that Windows 7 is becoming the next Zune.

My Computer

System One

• OS
That is not what I said.

We can't call this one. We don't have the information MS has - whatever made them decide to go this way.

I fear they may have got it wrong. We don't know yet.

Lets face facts, if the Media get their way, Microsoft is already dead and buried, it wouldn't matter what they bought out they have to deride it somehow.

Actually I think even more dangerous for Microsoft is experienced Windows users, from all the Windows and Apple forums I've visited over the years, they're the most vocal and vicious.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yes, that makes complete sense.

A few years ago, somebody reviewed a product and got it wrong.

Therefore it follows that all reviews of any product , by any reviewer - which do not fit your particular bias - must also be wrong.

Of course - quite brilliant.

. The end result is that it's not a good laptop, and not a good tablet. In other words, the idea that Surface is a 'no compromises' device is a bunch of nonsense..

Yep just like this genius.

.. Why Windows 7 is Microsoft’s next ZuneMay 9th, 2009

Why Windows 7 is Microsoft’s next Zune
May 9th, 2009
Daniel Eran Dilger

Every once and a while I get the opportunity to appear brilliantly prescient by pointing out something that is blatantly obvious but which has been so obscured by valiant marketing efforts that it makes me look like a grand wizard at detecting emperor nakedness just to say it. In this case, it’s that Windows 7 is becoming the next Zune.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Lets face facts, if the Media get their way, Microsoft is already dead and buried, it wouldn't matter what they bought out they have to deride it somehow.
Nonsense, overall the Xbox360 is well liked and Windows 7 was very well received. And Office is the universal standard.

Actually I think even more dangerous for Microsoft is experienced Windows users, from all the Windows and Apple forums I've visited over the years, they're the most vocal and vicious.
We are the ones who are the most passionate and loyal to Microsoft products. And if we are squawking about issues, then there could be some things to take a look at.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Nonsense, overall the Xbox360 is well liked and Windows 7 was very well received. And Office is the universal standard.

We are the ones who are the most passionate and loyal to Microsoft products. And if we are squawking about issues, then there could be some things to take a look at.

Oh you mean horrible issues like moving the power button, or getting rid of the Start Menu( which most people never used or got confused over) I could go on, but you get the point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back