Microsoft requires migration to Windows 8.1 Update within

Microsoft requires migration to Windows 8.1 Update within 5 weeks

Microsoft yesterday confirmed that Windows 8.1 users must upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update, the refresh that begins rolling out to customers today.

"Failure to install this Update will prevent Windows Update from patching your system with any future updates starting with updates released in May 2014," said Michael Hildebrand of Microsoft in a Monday blog.

Source

A Guy

That being the case, the 8.1.1 update should be made available as a downloadable .exe or self-extracting archive, along the lines of the XP Service Packs. One of the 8.1.1 previews I tried actually was in this format (sadly it would not install on this machine).

For those with no internet, or a slow or bandwidth-limited connection, this is more than just common-sense, it's pretty-well essential.

In a closely related issue, I have also found it impossible to source standalone SP installers for Vista (any ideas??). Every link I've tried leads to a pirated copy of Vista with the SPs included, and that's not what I want. And downloading 2Gb or more of Service Packs every time I re-install simply isn't going to happen. Hence my Vista setup runs no SP at all.

Not good, MS.

Wenda.

EDIT: I've just discovered that there is indeed such a beast. I was unable to find it previously, but it's now at the MS Download Centre. So, all good. :thumb::thumbsup:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42327

I got my update via Windows Update.. I thought that was a pretty nice way to do it.. Or am I missing something?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64 OEM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    My Own Build
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB (x2 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws 1866mhz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 980TI 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+
    Sound Card
    Built in HD Audio, THX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 48" 1080p LED TV, Dell 27" Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 3840x1080
    Hard Drives
    Two Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD's, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm HDD
    PSU
    Rosewill LIGHTNING-800 80+Gold Certified
    Case
    Azza Hurrican 2000 (Blue)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
    Keyboard
    Corsair K95 MX Cherry Red Mechanical Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G502 Gaming Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Average 5mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome, Firefox, Torch
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
    Other Info
    Custom surround system: Pioneer receiver with DTS and Dolby Digital decoders, Sony speakers/sub (5.1)
That being the case, the 8.1.1 update should be made available as a downloadable .exe or self-extracting archive, along the lines of the XP Service Packs. One of the 8.1.1 previews I tried actually was in this format (sadly it would not install on this machine).

For those with no internet, or a slow or bandwidth-limited connection, this is more than just common-sense, it's pretty-well essential.

In a closely related issue, I have also found it impossible to source standalone SP installers for Vista (any ideas??). Every link I've tried leads to a pirated copy of Vista with the SPs included, and that's not what I want. And downloading 2Gb or more of Service Packs every time I re-install simply isn't going to happen. Hence my Vista setup runs no SP at all.

Not good, MS.

Wenda.

EDIT: I've just discovered that there is indeed such a beast. I was unable to find it previously, but it's now at the MS Download Centre. So, all good. :thumb::thumbsup:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42327

I got my update via Windows Update.. I thought that was a pretty nice way to do it.. Or am I missing something?

No you didn't miss anything. Windows update will be how the majority of users get it. It was up on TechNet and MSDN as a stand alone download before it was available on Windows update. Some Forum members with subscriptions downloaded it from there and had an early look. It was leaked to the Internet also so some got it that way. The holy grail is to find an ISO with the update rolled into it. They are available on TechNet and MSDN but not everybody has subscriptions to those services. Thus the hunt is on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I totally dislike the idea that we are forced to get this update.. I like the way it was, new updates aren't the greatest.. I paid for my system to work a certain way and they are making me change it to what >they< want. To me it's just wrong, but what can ya' do? Would be stupid to have an OS that doesn't have new updates...

You are quite right. It all seems to be part of a wholly unwarranted arrogance on the part of the 8 team.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
I totally dislike the idea that we are forced to get this update.. I like the way it was, new updates aren't the greatest.. I paid for my system to work a certain way and they are making me change it to what >they< want. To me it's just wrong, but what can ya' do? Would be stupid to have an OS that doesn't have new updates...

You are quite right. It all seems to be part of a wholly unwarranted arrogance on the part of the 8 team.

Did you two complain with SPs in past OSs, such as in 7? This update is basically an SP. Yes? The general rule was that if we did not install updates for security, then we leave our systems open to virus, hacks, and the like. Nor did we get SP2 without SP1 and so on. So what’s the beef?

Click here if you struggle with the new

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Did you two complain with SPs in past OSs, such as in 7? This update is basically an SP. Yes? The general rule was that if we did not install updates for security, then we leave our systems open to virus, hacks, and the like. Nor did we get SP2 without SP1 and so on. So what’s the beef?

By that logic M$ should also be dropping updates for Windows 8 but they are not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

By that logic M$ should also be dropping updates for Windows 8 but they are not.

Not quite sure what you mean by"dropping updates". Please explain.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

M$ will not be giving you updates on windows 8.1 unless you update to windows 8.1.1.
You will still be getting updates for windows 8 with out having to go to 8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info

M$ will not be giving you updates on windows 8.1 unless you update to windows 8.1.1.

That was exactly my point in post #24. All updates follow in sequence no matter if individual or clumped in an SP. It’s been that way forever. If you are talking about UI addition/changes, added feature programs, other features, etc., those were also included in past SPs or updates. This is not a sole construct of 8/8.1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

That was exactly my point in post #24. All updates follow in sequence no matter if individual or clumped in an SP. It’s been that way forever. If you are talking about UI addition/changes, added feature programs, other features, etc., those were also included in past SPs or updates. This is not a sole construct of 8/8.1.

Yes, Microsoft is most certainly not "forking" Windows 8 with separate update paths for 8 and 8.1, respectively...;) All updates for 8 lead to 8.1 and beyond, unless you decide to stop at 8, which is your choice, just as some people strangely resisted service pack updates for earlier OSes in the past. People get really odd ideas sometimes...it's always been true that if you want to update an OS--any OS--you have to update it to keep on updating it...;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    UEFI install of Win8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self-crafted
    CPU
    FX-6300 @4.515Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI 970a-G46
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3 (2x4) 1600 @ 1800
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB HD 7850 @1.05GHz core/6GB/s ram
    Sound Card
    RealTek 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG HZ281
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 320GB sata2 boot UEFI install of 8.1 x64;
    1TB WD Blue SATA 3;
    Seagate 2x 500GB sata2's in RAID 0
    PSU
    Corsair GS600
    Case
    LIan Li
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Logitech Internet k-board
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Internet Speed
    VDSL
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    built into OS MSE/Defender
    Other Info
    Had a brain amputation followed up by an all-lobe "clean-up" lobotomy last year, am doing fine. Life is so much simpler, now.

Not yet but from what I've read it may be coming. The Store Upgrade to 8.1 could be treated like a SP for 8.0. If they do that I think updates for 8.0 will stop two years after the release of the 8.1 Store Update. That will be a lot sooner than it normally would. The deal with update 1 for 8.1 is that it has security updates in it as well as the UI improvements. Those security updates are a prerequisite for any further security updates. So that means if you don't apply the update you don't get any more updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

The needs of the many out way the needs of the few, or the one. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

Yes, Microsoft is most certainly not "forking" Windows 8 with separate update paths for 8 and 8.1, respectively...;) All updates for 8 lead to 8.1 and beyond, unless you decide to stop at 8, which is your choice, just as some people strangely resisted service pack updates for earlier OSes in the past. People get really odd ideas sometimes...it's always been true that if you want to update an OS--any OS--you have to update it to keep on updating it...;)

Although some refer to it as an update, one cannot consider 8 to 8.1 an update, but rather an upgrade. 8.1 is a separate edition with a different kernel version.

The only difference here is that Microsoft is shortening their lifecycle policy from a 24-month timeframe to a shorter one before ending support of a superseded operating system RTM or SP. The article states that MS confirmed this. As to when MS announced it originally the article does not state or if it's in the original EULA or other literature. All I can say is that it will be 8 months from 8.1 release to the 8.1.U1 deadline rather than the 2 years. Some may assume that I agree with all that MS does. In this particular case I do not. They should have announced it a lot sooner or delay the deadline for a longer time. I would think at least a year.

Big changes within MS restructuring, business plan, policies, OSs, and the likes. Perhaps difficult for some to keep up with the changes.

Click here if you struggle with changes

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Agreed

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
Ditto

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Hi there.

Businesses do their own thing -- have always done ever since the first humans conceived of the idea of a "business" amd will continue to do so until the last human is gone from this planet.

All Ms guarantee is that when you buy a computer it's fit for purpose at the time of salle --they aren't even required to give updates free -- fortunately they do (unlike that well known Fruit Company).

What people should REALLY be moaning over is not the fact that you should upgrade (people didn't complain when Service packs were released - and this is actually equivalent to a service pack in spite of some changes to the kernel) but that it seems nigh on impossible unless you are an Msdn or one of a dwindling number of Technet subscribers w to get an ISO so you can install the whole thing cleanly from scratch.

It shows the sense of enterprises staying with W7 (or upgrading XP ==> W7) as they certainly don't want to keep installing / upgrading computers. However the whole mess is down to the origfinal release of W8 - badly conceived and executed). W8.1 update 1 is trying to clear up the mess - and everybody is hoping W9 will be what a proper OS should be.

Even Linux distros are keeping reasonable times between updates -- OPENSUSE, DEBIAN and even MINTR now are going for waht is called LTS (Long term support). This means you don't have to upgrade every few months if you don't want to --hobbyists always want the latest developmentr releases so those will still exist of course.

Businesses need decent times between updates. I think we need to reconize that Ms in fixing W8.1 is effectively "Cleaning out the Augean Stables" this time.

(Here's a little Classical education for some. ) !!

Hercules' Fifth Labor: the Augean Stables

Lets hope they don't make any more major hose ups.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB