Microsoft: Metro not just an Interface, it's a Philosophy

Choice would be a simple box to check or uncheck to enable or disable Metro. Microsoft won't do that because then it would be blatantly obvious that Windows 8 should have been SP2 for 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
Calbear,

You are missing the point.

MS have removed choice. They are forcing metro at users.They are doing that to coax/lead/encourage/force users into the MS clouds.

That is why you cannot boot to the desktop. That is why they removed the start menu.

That is what people don't like.

Yes, it is possible to use hacks - third party apps. and lord knows what else to try to avoid to some extent what they are doing.

No hacks needed. One simple key press after boot up and all is desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Win 7-8 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Studio XPS8100
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    900GB and 1.5TB
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s down 1.5 Mb/s up
    Other Info
    I worked my up from a virtual machine, to a slow 32-bit celeron and now two monitors on my XPS8100. Works great!
With a big problem like that I would certainly never use Windows 8 even if it came installed on a new computer :)

Actually if you only have one monitor just have a program that starts with boot. I have Performance Monitor (free) and DU Meter ($) starting on boot on my one-monitor system and it always boots to desktop.

On my two monitor system I'm forced to hit that darn windows key, its such a pain but somehow I mange to make it through the day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Win 7-8 64-bit
    Dell Studio XPS8100
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    900GB and 1.5TB
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s down 1.5 Mb/s up
    Other Info
    I worked my up from a virtual machine, to a slow 32-bit celeron and now two monitors on my XPS8100. Works great!
Choice would be a simple box to check or uncheck to enable or disable Metro. Microsoft won't do that because then it would be blatantly obvious that Windows 8 should have been SP2 for 7.

Which Windows 8 is not. Windows 8 is a stepping stone to a brand new version of Windows designed for the future of tablets and smartphone. Desktop mode is only there to ensure that users have access to their current applications. Once Metro applications and drivers become more prevalent, I expect Desktop Mode and the NT kernel will become an Windows Enterprise (and Ultimate) Edition-only feature, then discontinued completely.

Only time will tell the truth, but Windows is going to become something different, something more suited to the future.

Just think of it like when we moved from DOS to Windows. For many the transition was painful, but now there are very few people that would go back to a Command Line Interface as their main computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Hi there

I think you are missing the point -- I'm sure even on a tablet (with a powerful enough processor) surely people will need sometimes to view multiple windows or multiple worksheets in an EXCEL workbook or simple compare one or more documents.

Metro is fine for SINGLE WINDOW display like reading a book or casual surfing -- but until they get a decent system of Multi Window display --then forget it for serious users.

On an Iphone or similar then single window display IS OK - but even on an Ipad I'd suggest there are times you want to view multiple Windows side by side.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
It's not about choice, nor the user, it is just smoke and mirrors to describe a point upgrade from Windows 7 with yet another shell, which may just be another application in future versions of Windows.

Take the phrase "Typography is the new Iconography". This is a truly profound statement - for lightness and speed, all the Metro "icons" are glyphs in the Windows 8 version of the TrueType font SegoeUIsym.ttf, (see here), instead of being packaged in various resource dlls. Each symbol therefore appears as a monochrome white, on a coloured background. We are almost back to the DOS command screen (onto which you typed a command directly, just like in Metro).

The fast boot takes you to Metro Start - why? - because the desktop takes too long to draw consistently without the few seconds hesitation the user requires to make a choice, find the tile required, and start the application. Networks also take a short while to shake hands.

Consistently, Microsoft's PR re. Windows 8 uses the phrase "no compromise" or something similar - they mean it - Metro is here to stay.

The arrogance is immense, but we've come to expect that from Microsoft, and we still have a choice with the next PC we buy - either use the supplied Windows that's preinstalled, or do it yourself with someone else's OS, or something that is old and unsupported, and probably illegal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
Eventually you won't have much of a choice if you buy a new desktop or laptop. It will come preinstalled with Windows 8. Microsoft will count it as a sale of Windows 8, and then get even more money from you when you purchase Windows 7 to replace it. Sounds like a win win situation for Microsoft to me. Ironically if you buy a new tablet you should still have alternatives like Android. I, like a few other people, would like to see Windows 8 tailor itself to what its installed on. If you don't want Metro it would be nice to have an option to turn it off. I build my own desktop PC's so unless things change I'll just stay with Windows 7. My laptop runs 7 too and I won't be upgrading the OS on that either. I don't own a tablet, but would really like to have one at some point. Right now I'm undecided on whether I'd buy a Windows 8 tablet or not. The frustration factor while trying to use it on my desktop is really turning me off to it. It will be interesting to see what the final release of Windows 8 looks like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
They'll learn as sales drop off I guess.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
Hi there

I think you are missing the point -- I'm sure even on a tablet (with a powerful enough processor) surely people will need sometimes to view multiple windows or multiple worksheets in an EXCEL workbook or simple compare one or more documents.

Metro is fine for SINGLE WINDOW display like reading a book or casual surfing -- but until they get a decent system of Multi Window display --then forget it for serious users.

On an Iphone or similar then single window display IS OK - but even on an Ipad I'd suggest there are times you want to view multiple Windows side by side.

Cheers
jimbo

exact, peoples who like Windows 8 just use 1 monitor, how can you be effective with a PC in 2012 with only 1 monitor ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

exact, peoples who like Windows 8 just use 1 monitor, how can you be effective with a PC in 2012 with only 1 monitor ?

It might surprise you how many regular home users only use one monitor. I use two, and can't imagine going back to just one, but I'm the exception as far as family and friends go. To get work done two or more is the way to go, but for the run of the mill home user I think one monitor is the norm. These same run of the mill home users will be the same people that when the time comes, will just blindly buy a new PC regardless of what version of Windows is on it. All they hear is that it has Windows on it. The WTF moment doesn't happen until they get it home and try to use it. Thats when my phone starts ringing. =(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
So let me ask, who is the one who stagnate most, the one with Windows 8 and 1 monitor or the one with Windows 7 with 2 or 3 monitors ? This morning I was studying Photoshop, Photoshop was open on my main monitor, and the Kiddle version of the book on the other one. Very friendly and more productive. This reply is of course address to the one who said we will stagnate if we keep using Window 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Hi there.

Even with ONLY ONE Monitor it's still useful to be able to have multiple windows open at the same time ON THE SAME SCREEN for some applications.

If Metro won't do this then it's DOOMED to failure on a DESKTOP (Laptop / netbook) OS.

Ms is fine in designing an OS that's suitable for a phone / small tablet -- almost ANYTHING has to be better than "Dumbdroid" (although I LIKE samsung and HTC phones !!).

But if they want it also to work as a desktop OS then they need to sort out what these users want too -- I don't just mean whether Metro or Start desktop menu -- that's largely irrelevant once you learn the navigation system -- but it has to be "fit for purpose" for everyday working applications -- and in a business scenario Metro in its current state is DEFINTELY NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

I like the idea - and don't have problems with the new navigation in W8 but I can't really use Metro as currently implemented in the stuff I want to use my computer for.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there.

Even with ONLY ONE Monitor it's still useful to be able to have multiple windows open at the same time ON THE SAME SCREEN for some applications.

If Metro won't do this then it's DOOMED to failure on a DESKTOP (Laptop / netbook) OS.

Ms is fine in designing an OS that's suitable for a phone / small tablet -- almsot ANYTHING has to be better than "Dumbdroid" (although I LIKE samsung and HTC phones !!).

But if they want it also to work as a desktop OS then they need to sort out what these users want too -- I don't just mean whether Metro or Start desktop menu -- that's largely irrelevant once you learn the navigation system -- but it has to be "fit for purpose" for everyday working applications -- and in a business scenario Metro in its current state is DEFINTELY NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

I like the idea - and don't have problems with the new navigation in W8 but I can't really use Metro as currently implemented in the stuff I want to use my computer for.

Cheers
jimbo

If you are saying the Metro Apps are not fit for purpose, I agree. In fact I have no use for them at present, maybe later. However, Windows 8 is certainly fit for pretty much anything you would do with XP or Win7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Win 7-8 64-bit
    Dell Studio XPS8100
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    900GB and 1.5TB
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s down 1.5 Mb/s up
    Other Info
Hi there.

Ms is fine in designing an OS that's suitable for a phone / small tablet -- almsot ANYTHING has to be better than "Dumbdroid" (although I LIKE samsung and HTC phones !!).

Cheers
jimbo

If you are saying the Metro Apps are not fit for purpose, I agree. In fact I have no use for them at present, maybe later. However, Windows 8 is certainly fit for pretty much anything you would do with XP or Win7.

Hi there

Agree -- W8 even on a small netbook with an SSD it runs like "Greased Lightning".

My only concern is that if the standard desktop disappears and we HAVE to use Metro -- then I'm stymied currently -- I NEED multple Windows either on the same or on a different monitor. Many people in business need to compare documents / data side by side etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
And 99% of the enterprise world is going to stick with Windows 7 until 2020. For the record, Windows 8 will support multiple monitors in different ways. Not only can you extend the desktop across multiple monitors (while spanning the taskbar), you can also set them up so that Metro is on one display and Desktop on the other.

Outside of work, I'm fine with one monitor on Windows 7. At work I use three, but that's because I have Outlook and SCSM open the entire day at work on the outside monitors, and my active working windows on the centre monitor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 Standard w/Hyper-V
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4430s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-2310M
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 SSD
    500GB Samsung Momentus
Metro is really a philosophy for them. I think that's something right there. I once read that they gave out a 17 page metro design book and in the first page, it basically said that the book isn't a design language, it's the future of Microsoft.

I like metro design. Once you wrap your head around it, it makes perfect sense. Then again, I wrapped my head around this two years ago...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
There will be a replacement for the desktop at some stage.

It will called something else - some silly name , I expect.

It will look different, but it will be a desktop nonetheless.

You will be able to do these things:

Jimbo:
surely people will need sometimes to view multiple windows or multiple worksheets in an EXCEL workbook or simple compare one or more documents.

Therefore it is a desktop - it will just be made to look different.

We should scrap the word "Desktop".

We should call the "Main" UI instead.

I have already started doing that .

(Largely because there is concerted attempt by marketing monsters to denigrate the "Desktop" and make it seem old and useless. The more gullible are falling for that rubbish already )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back