Microsoft Drops ‘Aero Glass’ User Interface in Windows 8

Microsoft Drops ‘Aero Glass’ User Interface in Windows 8

By Alexandra Chang

Fans of Microsoft’s Aero desktop experience will have to prepare for a life without translucent windows in Windows 8. Buried deep within a novel-length blog post, the company announced on Friday that it’s killing the Aero UI in the final release of Windows 8.

Microsoft first shipped Aero Glass when it launched Microsoft Vista in 2006. It featured a glass-like design for window borders, taskbars, and other surfaces in the OS. According to Microsoft, Aero was designed to make the Windows experience more visually appealing, while also drawing user attention to the content within a window or program.

But now, according to Jensen Harris, the Director of Program Management for the Windows User Experience, the Aero look is outdated.

“This style of simulating faux-realistic materials (such as glass or aluminum) on the screen looks dated and cheesy now, but at the time, it was very much en vogue,” Harris writes in the blog post titled ‘Creating the Windows 8 User Experience.’

The Windows 8 team will replace the Aero UI with what it describes as a “clean and crisp” look more in line with its new tile-based Metro UI. In Windows 8, interface windows will no longer feature reflections or shadows. What’s more, corners will be squared off, and surfaces will look flatter. Users will get white as the default windows color, for a “modern” aesthetic.

Read more HERE

This doesn't surprise me at all. Microsoft has obviously decided to abandon all PC users completely, they have removed every useful feature that made an OP system work on a desktop PC. In fact they not only have abandon PC desktop users with Windows 8, they now insist that you are using an obsolete platform for computer work and it's you rather than them that needs to move forward. They are deciding this for you whether you like it or not.

They are essentially saying that you should toss your desktop PC into the trash then purchase either a tablet with a little baby keyboard and a stand or one of their mobile phones then just start doing everything through some lame Metro interface that has no purpose other than to reinvent something that already works perfectly.

PC's are old and worthless, nobody uses them anymore according to Microsoft. What they are saying is that this new Op system is simply not meant to be used on a standard PC, further, they have single handedly outdated the PC by making an Op system that clearly was never meant to be used on a PC at all. Their arrogance here astounds me. If you own any Microsoft stock I strongly suggest that you unload it now before it's too late. :doh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Fortunately where micro$oft screws up third party devs will most likely step-in. To restore features Ms has removed, for a price.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CPU
    Core i3
    Memory
    8GB
    Hard Drives
    120 GB Intel 520 SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
Why don't they just make a non-Aero mode or theme rather than taking off the Aero so that people will have a choice and with less complaints?

The flat design on Windows 8 will use a bit less resources than Aero because transparency is eliminated but that's not significant with today's computers unless you're using a less powerful smartphone or tablet which M$ is targeting on the market right now.

The Aero wouldn't be appealing to me on a smartphone or a tablet but desktops and laptops, I've always loved it since Vista. Its almost as if MS is trying to put people away from desktops by removing the "feel" of the desktop and making it more of a phone or tablet feel. They are just not fair to desktop users and they are turning away from their bread and butter in the first place which is the Desktop.

Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization
Aero will be there.

to the vast majority of users they won't really care that much though, and to the rest; once they learn how to actually use their computer, they can shape it to the way they want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Windows 8, Windows 3 re-imagined?

Just kidding, It's obviously not that bad, but I couldn't resist a little dig @ Microsoft. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
They also have nothing to make up for the fact that they have removed "Aero" it's not like the "Metro" is much less cheesy in fact it looks even more cheesy they way they have done it. For example if you look at the metro apps those buttons are basically words with borders. Not exciting but on top of that the buttons don't give the users any visual cues that you are hovering over it or the other various states of transition. On the desktop environment there hasn't been any function that has been a dramatic improvement and there is no feature that has been created that is especially helpful to users that warrant the removal of Aero. Don't get me wrong I like Metro in theory. There are definitely ways to apply metro where things aren't so flat and aesthetically unpleasing. With design you need both function and beauty. I would prefer that they have better functionality for sure but frankly they don't even have that part down. Personally there hasn't been anything they have added that have made things easier since the last release. Forcing users to go into metro to get stuff we should be able to get to on the desktop or forcing us to load into metro instead of directly into the desktop is not something we would want for it to do. The problem here is even if they want to focus on functionality for their removal of aero there is nothing no function that has been added that will bring the functionality of windows 8 to the forefront. Metro is a nice idea but the execution here is not quite there. If they really wanted to focus on functions there are so many functions that they desperately need that they lack and yet I have yet to see them being implemented instead they give us a way to make our workflow less efficient. If they aren't going to focus on aesthetics(because it's obvious they need to) than please give me real functionality to focus on. So far that hasn't happened. Of course these are just my opinions.

My Computer

So, contrary to the alarmist headline, the Aero interface is still there, just buried inside Control Panel? Can live with that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Pro x64
    Self-built rig
    CPU
    Koa i5-2550K
    Motherboard
    N/A
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI 6870 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    RealTek HD Audio / ATI HDMI Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung HDTV Monitor T23A350
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    - SSD (C:)
    - HDD (D:)
    - BD-ROM (E:)
    PSU
    N/A
    Case
    N/A
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    N/A
    Internet Speed
    Unifi home (5mbps)
    Other Info
    N/A
So, contrary to the alarmist headline, the Aero interface is still there, just buried inside Control Panel? Can live with that.

To the best of my knowledge, it should be.

If not, it probably won't take too long for someone to extract Aero from Win7 and make it an installable theme.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
If not, it probably won't take too long for someone to extract Aero from Win7 and make it an installable theme.

Would be a good idea, as microsoft have said HERE also that they intend to drop Aero, bad idea.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
    Dell Inspiron 570
    CPU
    AMD x2
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD 5670
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500GB
    PSU
    Corsair 600W
    Case
    Dell
    Keyboard
    Logitech K300
    Mouse
    Logitech G400 Gaming
If they were just going to disable it, and not "remove" it entirely I think they would have said so somewhere. I didn't read it that way, it sounds to me like they plan to remove it entirely. I guess we'll know for sure sometime next month when the next release comes out. I sure hope Microsoft doesn't price Windows 8 like they do with super cars. You end up paying more for less to get a striped down version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Aero will be there.

to the vast majority of users they won't really care that much though, and to the rest; once they learn how to actually use their computer, they can shape it to the way they want.
Yes, I know about that but what I meant to say is that there should be a choice to enable Aero in the future release of Windows 8 for those of us who love the transparent design.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
Aero will be there.

Yes, I know about that but what I meant to say is that there should be a choice to enable Aero in the future release of Windows 8 for those of us who love the transparent design.

And where, pray tell, should microsoft put this choice?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
It's the metro theme, and the Desktop is finally getting rid of the design clash. Sure, it's nice to look at, but in the grand scheme of things, it's awkward for it to be there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back