Microsoft Cuts Windows 8.1 Price by 70% to Counter Google

Microsoft is planning to cut Windows 8.1 price by up to 70 percent for manufacturers selling devices powered by its operating system in an attempt to counter the growth of rival platforms, including Google’s Chromebooks, a new report claims.

Bloomberg is writing, via unofficial sources, that OEMs will be charged only $15 for Windows 8.1 if they decide to install the operating system on a device that’s going to retail for less than $250.

Until now, manufacturers had to pay at least $50, but thanks to the new discount, partners will be allowed to purchase Windows 8.1 cheaper regardless of the size or type of device, the same report adds.

Read the rest here:Microsoft Cuts Windows 8.1 Price by 70% to Counter Google [Bloomberg]

How many of you guys are running computers that cost less than $250? I'm certainly not and that the requirement for OEM's to get this cheaper price.

It is targetted at the Chromebooks and some of them cost under $250. And the PCs are getting there too - at least the very basic ones.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Nothing new or unique with that. In this country, the most expensive in the world, work is farmed out to cheap labour countries. Several large concerns have even migrated there main workplaces to the same. - Still charge us the same though!

They are not outsourcing to save you money. They are outsourcing to line their pockets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
No real question here is: how many of you are running legit Windows?

Mine (windows 8.1) is.

Lievre
Totally legit, 3 copies of Widows 8, I even have 5 copies of Windows 7 I bought (thinking it wouldn't be unavailable). Everything I use is, and I bet you will probably find that 99% of everyone on these forums are legit too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Mouse
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
I wonder... will we ultimately see the $1 laptops\tablets with contracts, signing up for some years of windows, one drive, office etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
Nothing new or unique with that. In this country, the most expensive in the world, work is farmed out to cheap labour countries. Several large concerns have even migrated there main workplaces to the same. - Still charge us the same though!
Don't say that when our (conservative) Government politicians are in earshot.

They are current ranting about uncontrolled wages growth.
No doubt it is a prelude to an all-out attack on wages and conditions.

However, the official Government statistic show that wages growth is at the lowest level ever recorded.

People are pirating W8/8.1? :confused:

They are not outsourcing to save you money. They are outsourcing to line their pockets.
Exactly.
Don't forget "outsourcing to dodge tax" too. :mad:

I wonder... will we ultimately see the $1 laptops\tablets with contracts, signing up for some years of windows, one drive, office etc.
Indubitably.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

Mine (windows 8.1) is.

Lievre
Totally legit, 3 copies of Widows 8, I even have 5 copies of Windows 7 I bought (thinking it wouldn't be unavailable). Everything I use is, and I bet you will probably find that 99% of everyone on these forums are legit too.

DOS 6.22/Win 3.1; WfW 3.11; Win 95A: Win 95C; Win NT4; Win 98SE; Win ME; XP (Home and Pro); Vista; Win 7; Win 8; Win 8.1.

Most are running (in V-Box or as stand-alone installs), and all are legal.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

That was as I implied.

"Exactly. Don't forget "outsourcing to dodge tax" too."

Naturally. As I said, apart from my domicile being the most expensive country in the world, this is also singularly, the highest taxed. Naturally, if the company moves its operation, for whatever reasons, the lower taxes will improve profits.

But it is increasingly boring, on forums, to read barbed criticism of only Microsoft for this practice. Companies, and in particular their shareholders, in order to thrive, wish to see profits. The bigger the profits, the happier the shareholders. The worst case scenario, if a company does not fulfil that obligation, is bankruptcy.
In fact, if you take into consideration the natural devaluation of currency, in particular over the last one or two depressed years, you will find that most Computer products, including those of Microsoft, are quite a bit cheaper today.
But, before the inevitable response, I must quickly point out that I am NOT a Microsoft fanboy. But I am eternally grateful to the man who brought an interest, working occupation, and hobby to my life, starting about 30 years ago!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Love it! When people are passionate about something they believe it.

Lievre

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 pro with Media center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    intel
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    intel
    Memory
    12 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
    Sound Card
    intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27 inches (2)
    Hard Drives
    a lot
    Browser
    firefox
    Antivirus
    none
apart from being the most expensive country in the world
Granted the UK did get expensive. But try Norway for example. Switzerland is another high price country.

In the 60s we used to fly to London for shopping because it was so cheap. I remember buying bathroom hardware at Harrods. And even with a stay at the Churchill hotel, we saved money compared to the prices in Germany. But that has certainly changed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back