Microsoft announces 'spring' update for Windows 8.1

Microsoft is at Mobile World Congress today, and the company is announcing its first significant update to Windows 8.1. Microsoft's Joe Belfiore, who is now responsible for phones, tablets, and PCs at the software maker, revealed the update is coming "this spring" and is largely focused at improving the experience for mouse and keyboard users. Several leaks of an update, known as "Update 1," have shown these particular changes several times, and Belfiore is confirming that the update will include improvements like a title bar at the top of modern apps, and power / search buttons on the Windows 8.1 Start Screen.

Read more - Microsoft announces 'spring' update for Windows 8.1 | The Verge

I guess some users have a hard time or don’t know to right click (WinKey/Z key combo) to get bottom command bar and/or how to close a Store app with either pulling it down or Alt/F4 combo. Quite simple really.

Along what Wenda stated, I don’t need no stinkin’ Store apps pinned to my Taskbar. I have a Start Screen and/or All Apps for that. The update so far as that goes will be useless to me and I’m hoping it’s a configuration option, not a default.

It’s great if they get 8.1 to use less resources. Of course I’m all for that. I’m sure there will be other good tweaks in it.

Some people did, but I had no problems upgrading via the Store app, although not my first preference. I’d rather fresh install. It seems to me this will be treated as a SP1 via Windows Update, not the Store.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Pinning the Metro Apps to my taskbar didn't work out all that well for me. I open my Metro Apps on my left monitor. My main monitor is my center monitor so my taskbar icons are on that monitor. Clicking the Metro App Icon opens it on my main monitor not the one I want them on. They don't remember where they were last opened like desktop programs do. I do find closing them with the X quicker and easier than the drag and drop. From what I'm reading update 1 will though windows update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Pinning the Metro Apps to my taskbar didn't work out all that well for me. I open my Metro Apps on my left monitor. My main monitor is my center monitor so my taskbar icons are on that monitor. Clicking the Metro App Icon opens it on my main monitor not the one I want them on. They don't remember where they were last opened like desktop programs do. I do find closing them with the X quicker and easier than the drag and drop. From what I'm reading update 1 will though windows update.
You’ve installed the update and experimented I take it. You also have 3 monitors on your tower PC or additional monitors on your laptop since you mentioned a middle monitor. Not sure since you have your ASUS laptop in your forum system specs.

I’m curious. Now that the Olympics are over and before Spring gets here I’m going to upgrade my hardware. A video card and at least one other monitor will be added. I see they’ve come a ways to multi-monitor, but, as you state, the system doesn’t log where the Store apps were open last. It logs Win32 apps though. Where would it log that? In the Registry perhaps?

Would you experiment this? If you open a Store app on a monitor, swipe/drag it down to close (not Alt/F4 or X box), then open again straightway, will it open on the same monitor? Try it again moving it to another monitor and repeat the process.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
@ HippsieGypsie, My laptop was at one time the only PC I had Windows 8 on so I listed it in my specs here. My desktop PC was running 7 until 8.1 came out. It's what's listed in my system specs on Seven Forums. I have three monitors on my desktop PC connected to a NVidia GT640. Two I-INC 4:3 19 inch LCD's and a 22" LG E2242 1080p. The 1080p is my main center monitor flanked by the two 19 screens. Yes I installed the leaked update 1 to have a look see. Most of my PC stuff was acquired over many years. The two 19 LCD's are many years old now but still work. My spare desktop PC is connected to or TV as a media PC so it didn't need its monitor any more. I was already running two so why not three. I've been running two monitors for quit a while and can't imagine going back to just one. Spoiled I guess. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I just don't think their updates make any difference, people either like Windows 8 or they don't. They tinker around with minute (small) tweak's, and hassle people to upgrade. The changes really don't matter. The word on the street, is that it is a loser. But, maybe after 5 more years of tweaking, it will morph back into Windows 7 with a metro rear-end.

When I got my first Windows 8 machine, I had messed up the install, though it worked, just not properly, so I hopped on the phone and dialed MS support. Well, they get on and after a little tutoring, decide they need to connect via remote desktop. I thought, ahhh now I will see how to operate this new software. The very first thing they did was to go into desktop mode, I was shocked "I had no clue it had​ a desktop".. I thought to myself, if they go into desktop mode "what use is the metro interface?".

Metro interface is for Metro Apps, desktop mode for "ordinary " programs, what's so perplexing about it ?
Another failure from M$, they just did not make enough of an effort to explain workings of Win 8 in the beginning and just took it for granted that every body would be impressed with "Pretty little squares" all over the screen and make a lot of money by selling Metro Apps, along with millions of tablets and devices.
Hope you are getting along with it much better now.
Yes, I am well acquainted with Windows 8 at this time.

Made me ponder though, I could never give up my Windows 7, but Windows 8 really makes no difference to me. If I really want a tablet I would buy an iPad

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8,Win7,XP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY. Acer ,iBuypower,Epson printer
    CPU
    i5, i3. AMD
    Motherboard
    all sorts
    Memory
    2 to 8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    different on all
    Sound Card
    on board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung displays and TV's
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    14 in all
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Mouse
    Hp, Logitech, Acer and MS
    Internet Speed
    Comcast ( 30mbps average download, 5mbps upload)
    Browser
    Chrome, Firefox and IE 10 and 11
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials, MalawareBytes and Kaspersky
    Other Info
    also have Apple iphones, AT&T and Tracfone services
Back