Metro Whining and Other Windows 8 Madness

I don't care much about the Metro name change brouhaha. I couldn't care less except for the fact that I have to change some of the Metro references in some writing I've done for upcoming pieces on Windows Server 2012. Frankly, I don't care much about the Metro interface at all—I've been using Windows 8 client and Server 2012 extensively now, for almost six months.

There is nothing in Metro I can find that impedes the Windows user experience with which I am familiar. I have not had any device driver issues as of yet (either on the Windows 2012 Server side or the Windows 8 client side) and, if anything, I feel that the Metro-ish UI lends to a greater desktop customization than ever before, and I mean serious customization that goes well beyond placing an image of cute kittens on the desktop.

But people care about Metro very much and not in a care because they love it way, a care more as if Metro is akin to the village Frankenstein people would hunt down and kill if it could walk way.

Even here, in the typically peaceful PCMag Labs, there are two clear cut sides: anti-Metro and while I wouldn't exactly say pro-Metro there are those of who feel that the Metro UI is being irrationally demonized. Even Sascha Segan, my colleague who I am usually pretty much in lock-step agreement with on technology matters, outlined his grievances against Metro in a recent column.

Here's why I think a lot of the Metro criticism is just hysteria.....

Read more at:
Metro Whining and Other Windows 8 Madness | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I have to say , her colleague is spot on:

If Microsoft continues down this path, the strategy will backfire, and PC owners with a choice will likely skip this version of Windows, much as they did with ME and Vista.

Agreed, that is my plan. Stick with Windows 7. No real benefit for me of 8.

No real benefit? Virtually every part of Win7 has been improved in Win8. Do some research.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Point out comments where people have complained about actual improvements:

• RAM usage
  • Speed
  • QoS management
  • ReFS
  • Storage Spaces
  • Windows To Go
  • etc.

RAM usage. I guess it's a bit lower in Windows 8, but with 4GB or more or RAM in Windows 7, it's not like I was really running out. And running on 5% less RAM with Windows 8 is not likely going to make it or break it.

Speed. Not seeing much difference, like I said before, I run with an 80GB SSD for my OS, I turn off hibernate to save disk space. The Hybrid boot is lost on me. No tangible gains.

Storage Space. In theory I like the concept. but I'm leary that if my OS were to crash, would I be able to take my 2-3-4 drive collection, plug it into another machine and be able to mount it, and get access to my data. This is something I actually plan to test soon with a VM.

Windows To Go: Enterprise only, not useful for the consumer.

Try doing some real CPU intensive work and you'll see the difference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I have to say , her colleague is spot on:

Agreed, that is my plan. Stick with Windows 7. No real benefit for me of 8.

No real benefit? Virtually every part of Win7 has been improved in Win8. Do some research.

I have done research and i've used the releases extensively. For what I do with a computer, I don't see many benefits worthy of spending $40 on it. It's got some nice features, none of which I cannot continue to live without. And I'm more or less annoyed and uninterested in the entire Metro interface and apps on my PC and the lack of a start button is just flat out annoying.

So, please share with me all of these improvements of Windows 8 that for me would be advantageous please?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Well if all you do is check email and watch you tube vids. Just get a tablet.
Who said that is what I do with my computer? I do have a tablet, and if those were the tasks I frequently did, there is a chance that I would actually use my tablet a bunch more than I do.

Any other advantages that I might be missing that you can offer? The items you mention above would actually be more ideal inside of the Windows 8 apps/Metro apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I run virtual machines, I render video files, I mix audio from time to time, and I play video games. I've not found conclusive evidence that the new features in Windows 8 really improve much upon these areas.

Some of these benchmarks here support my findings
Windows 8 Preview Beats Windows 7 in Most Performance Tests | PCWorld

As you can see in content creation, Windows 7 was just a bit faster. And office productivity is a bit lacking too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
  • RAM usage
  • Speed
  • QoS management
  • ReFS
  • Storage Spaces
  • Windows To Go
  • etc.

So why aren't MS giving us all these improvements in SP2 for Win7, instead of making us endure Metro Maonster to get them?

With hi-performacne 8 thread CPU and mobo, linked SLI GTX graphics cards, SATA3 SSD HD and 12GB RAM, I can simultaneously run 7, 8 or more video clips on different windows from Youtube; watch live TV on TV card, and type in a Word document, while transferring photos to my home theatre Set Top Box ... and Taskmanager/Performance shows only 5 or 6 threads running and hardly raising a ripple!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Hi there
the only things I really need Windows at all for (any flavour) is running OFFICE and PHOTOSHOP. I've never found any of the alternatives to Office any good -- they might be 90% compatable but they aren't 100% and always lack a missing feature or two --especially EXCEL.

I'll probably go back to using LINUX again on the desktop with a Virtual machine for photoshop and office.

Metro is an abomination for office / video / MySQL type of stuff. Fine for tablets and mobile phones - which is probably where metro will finally end up.

W8 definitely boots quicker - but who cares about that anyway and I like the Windows to Go feature - but is easy enough to create a bootable Linux system on a USB and have a Windows VM on it if you really need a "Portable" Windows system.

The Windows 8 HYPER-V looks quite interesting - but I'd probably use a server if I wanted to use Virtual Machines in that way.

Having tried W8 I'm not going to install it at all on a permanent basis -Windows 2012 Server is OK though - you don't have to start metro at all if you don't enable "Desktop experience" and can even be installed without a GUI.

The whole idea of having Metro in any shape or form on a Server is so ludicrously Bonkers you have to wonder what sort of managers are employed that can even THINK of this type of stuff -(Acc****re again !!! --they are usually good at hosing stuff up -- and would easily qualify for an Olympic Gold for the largest screw up in I.T history) .

If you are running W7 and happy with it there is utterly no need to upgrade to W8. The main problem will be those who buy computers with this stuff already installed on it. I'm sure there will be a whole slew of individuals wanting a "Downgrade" to W7.

Ms have really shot themselves in the foot this time.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Jimbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ixnay on the Etromay. You wanna get sued and lose your job and your house, or your cats if you have any, or your goldfish if you have any, or your horses if you have any, or.......:eek: worse?!?!?!?!?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
I haven't used the Start Menu itself for years. If Vista had the little search box, then I haven't used it since Vista. I only use that awesome searchbox. I WISH the Start Screen in 8 wouldn't separate my results into files/aps/settings the way it does because it's my biggest pet peeve with Windows 8, but I suppose I that over time will learn to tolerate it. Especially since something strange has been happening lately, in that the more I use Classic Shell for the old Start Menu (which can't add files to the search results, unfortunately), the more I don't like the Start Menu and being confronted with all those folders. After I recently took the time to customize my Start Screen with different columns for different things, I like it a lot better. My columns go like this:

1. Most frequently used programs (media player, firefox, notepad, utorrent etc.)

2. Lesser used programs so that I don't have to go searching for them (adobe photoshop, emule, snipping tool etc.)

3. Computer Security/Performance stuff (ccleaner, defraggler, malwarebytes, microsoft secuirty essentials suite, revo uninstaller pro, spybot:S&D, spywareblaster)

4. I haven't yet set-up the 4th column, but it will be: Control Panel Settings/Destination Shortcuts (CP areas that I actually visit, like Network Sharing Center, Power Options, User Accounts; and links to areas of the C: Drive such as Program Files, Windows, System32, Themes).

Meanwhile, whilst I'm not going into Metro to access this Start Screen (which I suspect I will come to love more and more), I am enjoying the improvements to the Desktop area, such as the new copy popup dialogue and management.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That's a good question

So why aren't MS giving us all these improvements in SP2 for Win7, instead of making us endure Metro Maonster to get them?

That's a good question.

When are we going to see W7 SP2?

The whole idea of having Metro in any shape or form on a Server is so ludicrously Bonkers you have to wonder what sort of managers are employed that can even THINK of this type of stuff -(Acc****re again !!! --they are usually good at hosing stuff up -- and would easily qualify for an Olympic Gold for the largest screw up in I.T history) .

Marketing. :(

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Jimbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ixnay on the Etromay. You wanna get sued and lose your job and your house, or your cats if you have any, or your goldfish if you have any, or your horses if you have any, or.......:eek: worse?!?!?!?!?!

:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Parks1, I agree with you and for pretty much the same reasons.

Regarding ISO mounting, a point: Windows Explorer can open and work with zip archives but I still use a free third-party tool for most of those because it can open a variety of formats. I use a third-party tool to mount ISO images: I have never thought to myself "I wish the OS would do this for me." A lot of tools like that are very easy to install and use: I rarely ever think much about them once I've installed them. They're easy to install, and they work. That's what matters.

There just isn't enough there to excite me. I have a TechNet subscription, so it's not about $40, but at best Win8 will run only as a VM on my Win7 machine. Win8 doesn't do anything fo rme that I can't do with Win7, and in fact it removes the start menu and Aero interface that I really like about Win7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Seems to me the problem they have is they don't get product management.

A product manager has to understand the consumers wants and needs. It is a marketing role essentially, it helps if you also know just enough tech to communicate with the engineers.

That is what Apple do so well.

That's a good question.

When are we going to see W7 SP2?

Marketing. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Regarding ISO mounting, a point: Windows Explorer can open and work with zip archives but I still use a free third-party tool for most of those because it can open a variety of formats. I use a third-party tool to mount ISO images: I have never thought to myself "I wish the OS would do this for me." A lot of tools like that are very easy to install and use: I rarely ever think much about them once I've installed them. They're easy to install, and they work. That's what matters.
The only real reason that I notice is because I use Linux distros and all of them have the ability to mount ISO's natively. Also, since I test so much with VM's and I can mount an ISO with the VM software, then having an ISO mounted in a VM is super easy. It's just a pain when I install Windows on a physical machine and then have to mount an iso, that I stop and say "Ooops, gotta go download something to mount this".

Like you said, getting a 3rd party tool to do it, is simple and no big deal. It will be nice to be able to do it without the 3rd party tool, but this isn't really enough to bring me to Win8.

There just isn't enough there to excite me. I have a TechNet subscription, so it's not about $40, but at best Win8 will run only as a VM on my Win7 machine. Win8 doesn't do anything fo rme that I can't do with Win7, and in fact it removes the start menu and Aero interface that I really like about Win7.
Yes, completely agree. It's just not my preference.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
:ditto: Although I will buy the $39 upgrade and use it over XP to load on a spare machine, when I get one, just so I'm up to speed if SP1 for Win8 accomodates my preferences. In the meantime I hope and pray for SP2 on Win7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
In the meantime I hope and pray for SP2 on Win7.
Why, are you having significant issues or is there some technology that you are really hoping that Windows 7 gets?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
In the meantime I hope and pray for SP2 on Win7.
Why, are you having significant issues or is there some technology that you are really hoping that Windows 7 gets?
No I'm not having issues with Win7; it runs just fine. In fact all the bugs seem to have been ironed out. However, I'm hoping that Win7 will get a SP2 whcih includes the improvents in performance in the Win8 OS, so we can have those benefits without having to pay for Metro development/marketing costs in order to get them.

Why pay for something you won't use, (meaning Metro, Apps, touch screen, etc,), and lose existing features you want, (meaning direct boot to desktop and legacy start menu), to get the basic OS improvements, which IMHO should be included in a SP2?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
New features of Windows 8;

> faster start up times
> closes apps automatically
> can mount .iso files
> built-in anti-virus
> lock screen
> arm support
> future refs file system
> cloud computing
> apps store
> multiple monitor support
> copy,rename,delete improvements
> window scaling
> easy restore
> windows to go
> usb 3.0 support

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
I'm hoping that Win7 will get a SP2 whcih includes the improvents in performance in the Win8 OS, so we can have those benefits without having to pay for Metro development/marketing costs in order to get them.

I doubt it.

They want you to buy the new one.

New features of Windows 8;

> faster start up times - only notice with hybrid boot - I never use that since I multiboot.
> closes apps automatically - not for me - they hang aroung unwanted in taskmgr
> can mount .iso files - I need a proper iso handler anyway - makes no difference to me
> built-in anti-virus - better than nothing - but I will install my preferred a/v anyhow.
> lock screen- damn nuisance
> arm support
> future refs file system
> cloud computing - I already have that - no problem using skydrive, etc on win7
> apps store - couldn't care less - except maybe on a portable entertainment device
> multiple monitor support
> copy,rename,delete improvements
> window scaling
> easy restore - not really, again better than nothing, but any one past beginner stage will use their preferred imaging program.
> windows to go - only for Enterprise customers (allegedly)
> usb 3.0 support - slightly more convenient than installing the drivers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back