Solved Make touch keyboard automatically appear?

Hello, I think that I've a solution for you. I created this little tool to do what you want : Télécharger AutoKeyBoard 1.0.0.BETA sur cloodl, I think it can be usefull.

i also registered on this forum only to say THANK YOU JEREMY... and I HATE YOU MICROSOFT = you are a bunch of amateurs, you are an example of stupid dinosaur company who makes everyday people's lifes misserable since 1980's... pretty much anything you came up with after Windows XP was a mistake in user friendliness... you wouldnt see tablet and smart phone OS even if your face was smacked with it... this thread is an example how a MULTI-BILLION company is stupid as a brick... cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I also have been going crazy trying to find a solution. I just bought an hp 360. In desktop mode, i like to configure the task bar to autohide. Now, when I flip it over to tablet mode, I can't even get to the task bar to activate the keyboard.

I think my only option is to slide the charm bar on the left, choose settings, then keyboard.

I was exciting to read there may be a solution, but geez guys.... this link isn't even in english. Did you guys just wing it hoping to figure this out?

I feel like when I was a kid, I finally found the hidden candy, but its on top of the hutch and I still can't get to it. :shock:

****EDIT. Well, I visited that link again from a different computer ( an asus android tablet ) and I saw a language choice selection. Great I thought, so I read it, only to learn I have to access it from the toolbar, which of course I can't access from the tablet mode when I have taskbar on autohide.

I hope I am missing something with respect to bringing up the taskbar in tablet mode, cause I like autohiding it, and this little program seems good.

Can anyone advise on how to display the taskbar from tablet mode when it is set to autohide from desktop mode? LOL if anyone remembers the Marks Bros Day at the Races, where Groucho has to buy all the books, this reminds me of that also.

Just for a quick laugh, here is a short clip I found, the whole thing is very funny.

A Day at the Races 1937 720-HD.mkv.mp4 - YouTube

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
I think my only option is to slide the charm bar on the left, choose settings, then keyboard.

I was exciting to read there may be a solution, but geez guys.... this link isn't even in english. Did you guys just wing it hoping to figure this out?

I grew up in Germany and learned English and French in school. :)

But honestly, winging it works, too.
Just download the program, and use the buttons you would normally use.
The worst that can happen is that it doesn't install, and you can start over, in that case.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hello,
I have this problem in my Chrome Extension. I want an input text to show the on screen keyboard when it is touched.
So I tested this AutoKeyBoard software but it didn't worked for me after touching the input text.
Yes it worked (it opened the on screen keyboard) after I clicked (with a mouse) the input text.
Maybe the developer could add support for touch events too?
Thanks!
Pablo.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Righto I had to weigh in on this one,

The onscreen touch keyboard will automatically pop on screen when selecting a field consistently, but to turn this behaviour on and off is something that I cannot figure out what controls it.

I have had the touch keyboard auto-popup in a variety of Windows desktop applications including Word, Outlook, IE and a custom app that my project is building. So it is not a metro only situation/feature.

The tablet that I am currently using did have the touch keyboard automatically popping up for all of the fore mentioned programs (relatively fresh build, locked down corporate network), until I was demonstrating this to other users who's tablet's onscreen keyboard was not popping up automatically. After extensively testing and demonstrating this mine stopped working and I cannot get this behaviour to start happening again. Also to note, one of the users that I was demonstrating this to had this functionality start working on his tablet out of the blue. But we can't isolate a particular action to relate the change to.

There be a setting somewhere that dictates this, or another odd context specific action that turns it on or off....... Or it is simply a bug.........Or Microsoft is watching us and messing with us.

Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 and 10
So I've found a very simple fix to this issue for anyone that is still having trouble with this.

If you open the Metro version of IE, the keyboard auto pops up as it should. You will need to download other metro apps for things such as opening PDFs due to metro apps working differently from desktop apps and not allowing plugins.

Ultimately this has worked for us, it seems that most people may not know that there is a metro version of IE on Windows 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 and 10
so yeah, i had to create an account on here so that i could post my solution. the issue has nothing to do with desktop app vs modern app or whatever some people are stating. I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 which converts into tablet mode and WAS auto popping up the keyboard whenever i would click into a field when I was in TABLET mode. Then it stopped working for some reason. I have no idea why, just like one other person commenting on here.

I started searching google and came across this thread. My solution is a bit strange, but may work for you. I went ahead and installed the application one of the previous posters posted. The 3rd party keyboard app called touchit. It actually worked as he stated, the keyboard would pop up immediately after clicking into a field. This is great, but I didn't like the look of the keyboard and the clicking sounds, sounding like something designed back in the 90s. But it did work great, and I liked the little mouse trackpad region on the keyboard as well, kind of cool. But just looked ugly.

Anyway, I decided to immediately uninstall it. In that process, it uninstalled and required a reboot. Which obviously reactivated my windows onscreen keyboard. Interestingly, after reboot, the onscreen keyboard started popping up again when clicking into text fields while in tablet mode. EXACTLY how it should have been working. So it appears installing and uninstalling this software somehow reset the Windows settings or cleared out the bug that was causing the keyboard not to load. So perhaps if you still haven't fixed this issue, give this solution a try.

Note, when you are in desktop mode, it does not pop up the keyboard (as it shouldn't). You need to switch to tablet mode and then everything works as expected. Ignore previous people saying its a desktop x86/64 app vs modern app or whatever. They are wrong.

Hopefully you can enjoy this. btw, I recently downloaded the google keyboard for my iphone. I'm gonna look to see if they have this available for Windows as I love that keyboard. I really wish the windows keyboard would place the numbers at the top of the screen in the alternate layout like the iOS device does. not that stupid old school number pad on the right side layout. ugh!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
I just bought an asus transformer and had this issue with the onscreen keyboard as well. Amazing how unresponsive Microsoft is to the complaints of their users/customers. There is like a hundred threads out there about this issue with the keyboard not appearing automatically in desktop mode in win8, some dating back to 2013.

I noticed that Google chrome has this functionality. Keyboard appears pronto even in desktop mode. (in your face Microsoft, another reason to hate on IE)

Hello, I think that I've a solution for you. I created this little tool to do what you want : Télécharger AutoKeyBoard 1.0.0.BETA sur cloodl, I think it can be usefull.

Mr. Jeremy, I would be so happy if this worked. Does it need an update maybe? It doesn't change how the keyboard responds in desktop mode.
I wish I knew how to code something like this!

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back